Where's the Best (Understandable) HowTo?

Where's the Best (Understandable) HowTo?

Post by Felix Miat » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 07:30:23

I've not had much luck finding a manual that explains how to make windoze and Linux
and OS/2 play nice together for file and printer sharing. I have the following network:

Router - 192.168.0.1
OS/2 MCP - \\S1590 - 192.168.0.11
Mandrake 8.2 - \\AX5T3 - 192.168.0.12
Windoze 98 - \\P5S-B - 192.168.0.13

Output of announcements:

[\\S1590] net view              (takes a long time to output)
Server Name            Remark
--------------------------------------
\\AX5T3                Samba Server 2.2.3a
\\S1590                OS/2 MCP

[ax5t3]# findsmb                (quick)
IP ADDR         NETBIOS NAME   WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION
192.168.0.12    AX5T3         +[WORKGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 2.2.3a]
192.168.0.13    P5S-B          [WORKGROUP]

C:> net view         (quick)
Servers available in workgroup WORKGROUP.
Server name            Remark
--------------------------------------
\\AX5T3                Samba Server 2.2.3a
\\P5S-B                Windoze 98
\\S1590                OS/2 MCP

In OS/2, IBMLAN.INI shows in part:
  net1 = TCPBEUI$,1,LM10,100,150,14
  net2 = NETBEUI$,0,LM10,100,150,14

In Linux I don't know what I need to provide anyone so they can help me.

In winderz, network properties has bound to the NIC only tcp/ip, to which is bound
Client for MSN, MSN file & printer sharing, and Microsoft Family Logon.

I'd really like to be able for all three machines to easily read files off
each of the others, with emphasis on no need for passwords. It seems
like a reasonable thing to expect to be able to do on small home network.
--
"We have staked the whole future of American civilization,
not upon the power of government, far from it. We have staked

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.members.atlantic.net/

Post by Edward Ned Harve » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 11:50:27

> I've not had much luck finding a manual that explains how to make windoze
> and Linux and OS/2 play nice together for file and printer sharing. I have
> the following network:

For file and printer sharing, you want to use samba (aka smb, aka cifs).
There is almost certainly a good howto out there...

Perhaps at www.linuxdoc.org
Perhaps at www.samba.com

Where's the Best (Understandable) HowTo?

Post by eri » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 12:38:49

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:30:23 UTC, Felix Miata

> I've not had much luck finding a manual that explains how to make windoze and Linux
> and OS/2 play nice together for file and printer sharing. I have the following network:

this is invaluable for the basics even 5 years later:

http://www.mit.edu/activities/os2/peer/WARPPEER.HTM

eric...

Post by Michael Taylo » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:15:09

> I've not had much luck finding a manual that explains how to make windoze and Linux
> and OS/2 play nice together for file and printer sharing. I have the following network:

> Router - 192.168.0.1
> OS/2 MCP - \\S1590 - 192.168.0.11
> Mandrake 8.2 - \\AX5T3 - 192.168.0.12
> Windoze 98 - \\P5S-B - 192.168.0.13

> Output of announcements:

> [\\S1590] net view         (takes a long time to output)
> Server Name            Remark
> --------------------------------------
> \\AX5T3                Samba Server 2.2.3a
> \\S1590                OS/2 MCP

if you do "net view \\P5S-B" does it show the Win98 PC?
I have found that OS/2 does not always see all the PCs
unless you specify the hostname on the net view.

--
Regards,
Mick

              Home Page:  http://users.bigpond.net.au/miket5au

Where's the Best (Understandable) HowTo?

Post by Bob McLella » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:23:51

Your IBMLAN entries suggest that you have two NIC's, with different
protocols.

Post by Felix Miat » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 11:55:04

> > I've not had much luck finding a manual that explains how to make windoze and Linux
> > and OS/2 play nice together for file and printer sharing. I have the following network:

> > Router - 192.168.0.1
> > OS/2 MCP - \\S1590 - 192.168.0.11
> > Mandrake 8.2 - \\AX5T3 - 192.168.0.12
> > Windoze 98 - \\P5S-B - 192.168.0.13

> > Output of announcements:

> > [\\S1590] net view            (takes a long time to output)
> > Server Name            Remark
> > --------------------------------------
> > \\AX5T3                Samba Server 2.2.3a
> > \\S1590                OS/2 MCP
> if you do "net view \\P5S-B" does it show the Win98 PC?
> I have found that OS/2 does not always see all the PCs
> unless you specify the hostname on the net view.

I meant to mention that it does show a complete shares list from
\\P5S-B. Until I started trying to get Linux added to the net, plain
'net view' worked on \\P5S-B.
--

Post by Felix Miat » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 11:55:10

> > In OS/2, IBMLAN.INI shows in part:
> >   net1 = TCPBEUI$,1,LM10,100,150,14
> >   net2 = NETBEUI$,0,LM10,100,150,14
> Your IBMLAN entries suggest that you have two NIC's, with different
> protocols.

From what I understand, what I kept above amounts to two protocols bound
to a single NIC, like binding both tcp/ip and netbeui to a single NIC in
windoze.
--

Maybe between that and http://www.samba.netfirms.com/ &
http://www.samba.org/ I can get this sorted out. What a head swimmer.
--

Post by James Knot » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:41:37

> I've not had much luck finding a manual that explains how to make windoze
> and Linux and OS/2 play nice together for file and printer sharing. I have
> the following network:

> Router - 192.168.0.1
> OS/2 MCP - \\S1590 - 192.168.0.11
> Mandrake 8.2 - \\AX5T3 - 192.168.0.12
> Windoze 98 - \\P5S-B - 192.168.0.13

> Output of announcements:

> [\\S1590] net view            (takes a long time to output)
> Server Name            Remark
> --------------------------------------
> \\AX5T3                Samba Server 2.2.3a
> \\S1590                OS/2 MCP

> [ax5t3]# findsmb              (quick)
> IP ADDR         NETBIOS NAME   WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION
> 192.168.0.12    AX5T3         +[WORKGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 2.2.3a]
> 192.168.0.13    P5S-B          [WORKGROUP]

> C:> net view          (quick)
> Servers available in workgroup WORKGROUP.
> Server name            Remark
> --------------------------------------
> \\AX5T3                Samba Server 2.2.3a
> \\P5S-B                Windoze 98
> \\S1590                OS/2 MCP

> In OS/2, IBMLAN.INI shows in part:
>   net1 = TCPBEUI$,1,LM10,100,150,14
>   net2 = NETBEUI$,0,LM10,100,150,14

> In Linux I don't know what I need to provide anyone so they can help me.

> In winderz, network properties has bound to the NIC only tcp/ip, to which
> is bound Client for MSN, MSN file & printer sharing, and Microsoft Family
> Logon.

> I'd really like to be able for all three machines to easily read files off
> each of the others, with emphasis on no need for passwords. It seems
> like a reasonable thing to expect to be able to do on small home network.

You'll have to do some reading on Samba.  I have OS/2 and Linux here, and
have no problems sharing disks, etc.  However, a password is required.  On
OS/2, I have a script that runs at boot up, that runs a local logon.  This
is enough to get me access to the Linux box, in areas where that user has
permissions.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Post by James Knot » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:44:32

> Your IBMLAN entries suggest that you have two NIC's, with different
> protocols.

One is netbios over netbeui.  The other is virtual nic for netbios over
tcp/ip.  However, unless he has a need for netbios/netbeui, he doesn't need
the 1st.  I'd recommend getting rid of netbios/netbeui.

--

Post by James Knot » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:45:36

>> Your IBMLAN entries suggest that you have two NIC's, with different
>> protocols.

> From what I understand, what I kept above amounts to two protocols bound
> to a single NIC, like binding both tcp/ip and netbeui to a single NIC in
> windoze.

Is there any reason why you need netbios/netbeui?  Linux can't use it and
the default for windows is to not use it.  You'd be better off with just
netbios/ip

--

Post by James Knot » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:49:15

> On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:30:23 UTC, Felix Miata

>> I've not had much luck finding a manual that explains how to make windoze
>> and Linux and OS/2 play nice together for file and printer sharing. I
>> have the following network:

> this is invaluable for the basics even 5 years later:

> http://www.mit.edu/activities/os2/peer/WARPPEER.HTM

Hmmm....   I coulda sworn 1998 was 4 years ago.  ;-)

--

Post by Felix Miat » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 22:31:07

> > I've not had much luck finding a manual that explains how to make windoze
> > and Linux and OS/2 play nice together for file and printer sharing. I have
> > the following network:
> > Router - 192.168.0.1
> > OS/2 MCP - \\S1590 - 192.168.0.11
> > Mandrake 8.2 - \\AX5T3 - 192.168.0.12
> > Windoze 98 - \\P5S-B - 192.168.0.13
> > Output of announcements:
> > [\\S1590] net view            (takes a long time to output)
> > Server Name            Remark
> > --------------------------------------
> > \\AX5T3                Samba Server 2.2.3a
> > \\S1590                OS/2 MCP
> > [ax5t3]# findsmb              (quick)
> > IP ADDR         NETBIOS NAME   WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION
> > 192.168.0.12    AX5T3         +[WORKGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 2.2.3a]
> > 192.168.0.13    P5S-B          [WORKGROUP]
> > C:> net view          (quick)
> > Servers available in workgroup WORKGROUP.
> > Server name            Remark
> > --------------------------------------
> > \\AX5T3                Samba Server 2.2.3a
> > \\P5S-B                Windoze 98
> > \\S1590                OS/2 MCP
> > In OS/2, IBMLAN.INI shows in part:
> >   net1 = TCPBEUI$,1,LM10,100,150,14
> >   net2 = NETBEUI$,0,LM10,100,150,14
> > In Linux I don't know what I need to provide anyone so they can help me.
> > In winderz, network properties has bound to the NIC only tcp/ip, to which
> > is bound Client for MSN, MSN file & printer sharing, and Microsoft Family
> > Logon.
> > I'd really like to be able for all three machines to easily read files off
> > each of the others, with emphasis on no need for passwords. It seems
> > like a reasonable thing to expect to be able to do on small home network.
> You'll have to do some reading on Samba.  I have OS/2 and Linux here, and

I've done lots of reading already. That's why I said my head was
swimming. No clear example of a setup that works with all three anywhere
so far.

Quote:> have no problems sharing disks, etc.  However, a password is required.  On
> OS/2, I have a script that runs at boot up, that runs a local logon.  This
> is enough to get me access to the Linux box, in areas where that user has
> permissions.

In startup.cmd is this:
IF NOT %TSHELL%!==YES! logon USERID /P:password /R /S /V:NONE
Since this is peer, I have no idea what this logs onto. I have a nice
thick Warp 4 book, but when it was written back in 1996 apparently Linux
and Samba were non-issues. Neither are in its index.
--

Post by Felix Miat » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 22:31:12

> >> Your IBMLAN entries suggest that you have two NIC's, with different
> >> protocols.
> > From what I understand, what I kept above amounts to two protocols bound
> > to a single NIC, like binding both tcp/ip and netbeui to a single NIC in
> > windoze.
> Is there any reason why you need netbios/netbeui?  Linux can't use it and
> the default for windows is to not use it.  You'd be better off with just
> netbios/ip

All I remember is that something didn't work until I set to use both.
Long time ago.
--
"We have staked the whole future of American civilization,
not upon the power of government, far from it. We have staked
the future of all our political institutions . . . upon the
capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control
ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten
Commandments of God."                              James Madison

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.members.atlantic.net/

Where's the Best (Understandable) HowTo?

Post by Iain All » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 01:25:09

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 13:31:12, Felix Miata

> > > From what I understand, what I kept above amounts to two protocols bound
> > > to a single NIC, like binding both tcp/ip and netbeui to a single NIC in
> > > windoze.

> > Is there any reason why you need netbios/netbeui?  Linux can't use it and
> > the default for windows is to not use it.  You'd be better off with just
> > netbios/ip

> All I remember is that something didn't work until I set to use both.
> Long time ago.

Depends what other systems were setup with.  It is possible to setup
with just netbios/ip like James said.  I would probably only bother if
making a network server rearrangement though.  You know that SAMBA
doesn't use netbuei right?  Older Warp and Win95 are often setup with
that, so that could explain why both became needed.

The only problem I've seen from using tcpbuei is the need to use
rfcnames.lst with peer if I needed to stop sys0053 occurring if sharing
back to the same PC was tried.  There should be another way that I could
get that working with a linksys router dhcp involved so that did both
jobs perhaps.  Either that or go back to a SAMBA server where both fixed
and dynamic addresses could be defined...

Iain...