HELP trying to replace msmail with smail or sendmail?

HELP trying to replace msmail with smail or sendmail?

Post by Al Hakimo » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi there, I'm trying to find a way to replace MSMail with standard Linux
mail handler (smail or sendmail) but I dunno how to implement that, the
thing is that i don't know how this msmail stuff works, it is really old
one, and we have lots of problems with it, dialing is so horrible it is
just DISGUSTING 9600 and only if u get lucky u connect otherwise not,
and also we have lan msmail, is there anyway to make linux to handle
mail, see problem is that msmail has local and global addresses which i
assume would cause huge problems if replaced, also we have few WAN
sights which r based on msmail, to make things worse I also do not know
what protocol it (msmail) is based on, i really did want to try
replacing stupid msmail before someone else will implement (macrosoft's
:-( exchange server) here,

did someone else successfully implement (replace msmail with linux smail
or sendmail)it?

PS. I assume ccmail also works in a similar way as msmail.

Any help, suggestion is appreciated,

1. HELP CONFIGURING SENDMAIL/SMAIL ON INTERACTIVE UNIX 2.2 - PLEASE HELP!

To all fellow netters:

        I am trying to configure my machine which is running Interactive
2.2 to transfer my mail to a site that is willing to serve me as a gateway
(Lets call this system site X).  Allow me to clarify via an example. For
instance say I want to email a letter to joe who is at site A.B.C. I would

realize that it cannot resolve the address locally so it is a job for site
X to resolve.  My connection to site X is done via a UUCP connection.  The
UUCP ! address convention works.  If I want to send email to ted at site X
I would type "mail X!ted".  I would like this to be all automatic though so
that the mailer has to worry where it should go.  This would enable me to
have connections to the Internet, UUNET and BITNET.  Let me assure the
quick to flame that I did indeed RTFM so there is no need for that
response.  The documentation is lacking in its description of the
configuration.  The documentation refers to a great deal of BSD files and
directories that just simply don't exist under Interactive Unix 2.2.  This
essentially boils down to: "ANYTHING I CAN NOT RESOLVE LOCALLY SHOULD BE
SENT TO SITE X FOR FURTHER DISTRIBUTION OR RETURNED IF UNRESOLVABLE." I
would be very thankful to any one who could shed some light on this
problem.  I will be most happy to post a summary of the most effective
solution.

        Please respond via email to me since this is the quickest method of

the machine that I'm trying to configure so email will reach me no
problem).  Thankyou all one last time and PLEASE SEND HELP!

                                                Karl M.

2. Article: Want Media Player 8? Buy Windows XP

3. msmail > sendmail

4. Attaching Privacy Statement

5. mail daemon: smail, sendmail+IDA 5.6.x, Sendmail 8.6.4, umail

6. pb with graphic card Trident

7. Replacing Sun's sendmail with real sendmail?

8. Any advice for a modem?

9. SMAIL/SENDMAIL HELP!

10. sendmail.cf or Smail - help

11. Help w/smail to sendmail