Another Samba Problem ...

Post by HF » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Try using lowercase for netbios and workgroup names

>Hi,
>I posted here a while back, concerning a samba problem.  I managed to
>get it working, with the help of some folks here, but now, thanks to
>a root filesystem being trashed at the weekend, I am only now able to
>get back onto the Internet from my workstations.  However, the smb.conf
>file got toasted, and so I'm obliged to write it again from scratch.

>When I try to logon from a Windows machine, it tells me that the share
>cannot be found.  That's an improvement on what came before, as then,
>it told me that no domain controller could be found.

>Anyone able to help ..?

># Samba config file created using SWAT
># from 192.168.0.2 (192.168.0.2)
># Date: 2000/07/11 12:47:12

># Global parameters
>[global]
>    workgroup = VOUTE
>    netbios name = LIEVRE
>    netbios aliases = SERVER
>    server string = Samba on BSD UNIX
>    password level = 4
>    log file = /var/log/log.%m
>    max log size = 100
>    time server = Yes
>    deadtime = 360
>    keepalive = 180
>    character set = ISO8859-1
>    logon script = /home/netlogon
>    domain logons = Yes
>    domain master = Yes
>    dns proxy = No
>    hosts allow = 192.168.0.

>[homes]
>    comment = Home Directories
>    path = /home

>    admin users = desmond
>    read only = No
>    hide dot files = No

>[myname]
>    comment = Myname's Files
>    path = /home/myname
>    valid users = myname
>    read only = No
>    max connections = 5
>    hide dot files = No

>--
>Desmond Coughlan                   |Restez Zen ... UNIX peut le faire

>http://www.coughlan.net/desmond
>http://www.coughlan.net/desmond/dp/ordination

Another Samba Problem ...

Post by np.. » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Try using lowercase for netbios and workgroup names

> >Hi,
> >I posted here a while back, concerning a samba problem.  I managed to
> >get it working, with the help of some folks here, but now, thanks to
> >a root filesystem being trashed at the weekend, I am only now able to
> >get back onto the Internet from my workstations.  However, the
smb.conf
> >file got toasted, and so I'm obliged to write it again from scratch.

> >When I try to logon from a Windows machine, it tells me that the
share
> >cannot be found.  That's an improvement on what came before, as then,
> >it told me that no domain controller could be found.

> >Anyone able to help ..?

> ># Samba config file created using SWAT
> ># from 192.168.0.2 (192.168.0.2)
> ># Date: 2000/07/11 12:47:12

> ># Global parameters
> >[global]
> >       workgroup = VOUTE
> >       netbios name = LIEVRE
> >       netbios aliases = SERVER
> >       server string = Samba on BSD UNIX
> >       password level = 4
> >       log file = /var/log/log.%m
> >       max log size = 100
> >       time server = Yes
> >       deadtime = 360
> >       keepalive = 180
> >       character set = ISO8859-1
> >       logon script = /home/netlogon
> >       domain logons = Yes
> >       domain master = Yes
> >       dns proxy = No
> >       hosts allow = 192.168.0.

> >[homes]
> >       comment = Home Directories
> >       path = /home

> >       admin users = desmond
> >       read only = No
> >       hide dot files = No

> >[myname]
> >       comment = Myname's Files
> >       path = /home/myname
> >       valid users = myname
> >       read only = No
> >       max connections = 5
> >       hide dot files = No

> >--
> >Desmond Coughlan                   |Restez Zen ... UNIX peut le faire

> >http://www.coughlan.net/desmond
> >http://www.coughlan.net/desmond/dp/ordination

d'you remember if you had plaintextpasswords enabled on win-side,
or encryption enabled on samba-side?
 one or the other is needed.

also, which share you tried?
see the server in network neighborhood?
smbclient -L (servername) working?

--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Another Samba Problem ...

Post by Desmond Coughl » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

} Try using lowercase for netbios and workgroup names

No joy ...

--
Desmond Coughlan                   |Restez Zen ... UNIX peut le faire

http://www.coughlan.net/desmond
http://www.coughlan.net/desmond/dp/ordination

Another Samba Problem ...

Post by Desmond Coughl » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:} d'you remember if you had plaintextpasswords enabled on win-side,
} or encryption enabled on samba-side?
}  one or the other is needed.

I didn't think of looking, but yes, I just checked, and I have encryption
turned off on samba, and on Windows.

Quote:} also, which share you tried?
} see the server in network neighborhood?
} smbclient -L (servername) working?

I tried my $HOME.  When I run the above command on smbclient, I see
all shares, no problem ...

D.

--
Desmond Coughlan                   |Restez Zen ... UNIX peut le faire

http://www.coughlan.net/desmond
http://www.coughlan.net/desmond/dp/ordination

1. Samba problems: Samba not in Network Neighborhood

I have (the latest) Samba installed and have two problems that I can't
seem to solve.

First, my setup: Machine 1 is linux/samba machine.  Machine 2 is Win
95 and Machine 3 is WfWG 3.11 with TCP/IP.  They connect with
ethernet.  All machines can ping each other and the other TCP stuff
works fine.

Machines 2 and 3 can mount each other's drives and printers fine.
Machine 2 can mount the Samba shares but only after I run the "Find
Computer" tool.  It doesn't appear in the Network Neighborhood with
the other machines.

I used smbclient to verify that Machine 1 can mount look at the shares
on all three machines and the Workgroup name is the same.

I was able to drag a shortcut into network neightborhood but that's
not the same as actually being there.

A possibly related problem is machine 3, the Win 3.11 one, cannot see
the samba shares at all.  The server doesn't appear.

Is there some Samba option that I don't have enabled?  With the Win 95
machine it's only annoying not having it in the Neighborhood but it is
entirely unusable from machine 3.  This I really need to fix.

BTW: One further problem I haven't looked at too closely: All the
mounted shares are done as "pcguest" and not as the username logged in
to win 95.  I have the same username/password on both machines.  Is
there a Win 95 option somewhere I need to change?

thanks, jv

    Graphics                "Purveyors to the Froup"

2. Untamo system call? /was: (Arrgh) Logout idle users (NOT w/ tcsh)

3. Samba- Problem: path too long/ cvs- Problem: cvs import stucks

4. Linux and Win95

5. Very strange Samba problem - please advise

6. SYSTEM COMMANDER by V Communications?

7. samba problem - only root can write - TIA

8. Do I *really* need a telnet server on a DNS (BIND) ...

9. samba problem

10. Samba Problem

11. Samba problem...

12. Samba Problem