ppp connection locks up

Post by Thomas Homme » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi all
Im using a 56k analog modem and kppp to dial to my ISP. Everything
works fine, but from time to time, the connection stalls. The phone
connection stays up, but I cannot transmit nor receive any data. A few
minutes later, the ppp daemon dies with an error message (ppp daemon
unexpectedly ended).
I cant imagine the cause for this behavior. So, I dont know if my
computer is causing the connection break, or my ISP is to blame for it.

Can someone please help me to find out?
Thanks

Tom

ppp connection locks up

Post by David Efflan » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>Im using a 56k analog modem and kppp to dial to my ISP. Everything
>works fine, but from time to time, the connection stalls. The phone
>connection stays up, but I cannot transmit nor receive any data. A few
>minutes later, the ppp daemon dies with an error message (ppp daemon
>unexpectedly ended).
>I cant imagine the cause for this behavior. So, I dont know if my
>computer is causing the connection break, or my ISP is to blame for it.

>Can someone please help me to find out?

When my ISP changed pop providers from one using a Cisco system to one
using a Livingston Portmaster 4 (Livingston was since purchased by Lucent)
I had irregular problems with my modem locking up tight in any OS (Win95,
Linux and FreeBSD).  Even after the phone disconnected, pppd did not
realize that the connection was dropped and when I killed pppd, I could
not even get any response from the modem with minicom.  The only recourse
was to reboot.

My old modem was a Zoom K56flex internal flashed to V.90.  I got an
external Diamond SupraExpress 56K and that has worked flawlessly even with
the bad Portmaster.  Apparently Lucent never could correct the problems
with the Portmaster, so they ended its life cycle and it has since been
replaced.  I have not tried my old modem with the new system, but I never
had any trouble with it on any other system (CompuServe, Freeswwweb and
ppp to a Cisco router my office always worked fine).

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

ppp connection locks up

Post by Thomas Homme » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Perhaps I should give a bit more details:
Im using kernel 2.2.5 with pppd 2.3.5.
The log file ahows the following:

May 28 18:49:05 Fred pppd[374]: rcvd [LCP EchoReq id=0x1
magic=0xd15e37ff]
May 28 18:49:05 Fred pppd[374]: sent [LCP EchoRep id=0x1
magic=0x8a35c728]

A message like this appears every 30 seconds while the connection is
alive.

May 28 18:49:51 Fred pppd[374]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
May 28 18:49:51 Fred pppd[374]: Modem hangup
May 28 18:49:51 Fred pppd[374]: Connection terminated.
May 28 18:49:52 Fred pppd[374]: Exit.

This is what appears when the connection ended unexpectedly. No more
echo requests and the modem hangs up.

Any ideas?

> Hi all
> Im using a 56k analog modem and kppp to dial to my ISP. Everything
> works fine, but from time to time, the connection stalls. The phone
> connection stays up, but I cannot transmit nor receive any data. A few
> minutes later, the ppp daemon dies with an error message (ppp daemon
> unexpectedly ended).
> I cant imagine the cause for this behavior. So, I dont know if my
> computer is causing the connection break, or my ISP is to blame for it.

> Can someone please help me to find out?
> Thanks

> Tom

ppp connection locks up

Post by Clifford Kit » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Im using a 56k analog modem and kppp to dial to my ISP. Everything
> works fine, but from time to time, the connection stalls. The phone
> connection stays up, but I cannot transmit nor receive any data. A few
> minutes later, the ppp daemon dies with an error message (ppp daemon
> unexpectedly ended).

Try using the pppd options novj, noccp, and "asyncmap a0000".
Make sure that pppd has the crtscts option and that the modem does
hardware flow-control, aka RTS/CTS (&K3 in the Hayes command set).

Quote:> I cant imagine the cause for this behavior. So, I dont know if my
> computer is causing the connection break, or my ISP is to blame for it.

It's likely that the echo-replies pppd sends don't get to the ISP when
the connection stalls, so it drops it's connection.

--

/* Those who can't write, write manuals. */

ppp connection locks up

Post by Bill Unr » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

]Perhaps I should give a bit more details:
]Im using kernel 2.2.5 with pppd 2.3.5.

I would get a more recent pppd (2.3.11 or 2.4.0b4-- which is still beta)
]The log file ahows the following:

]May 28 18:49:05 Fred pppd[374]: rcvd [LCP EchoReq id=0x1
]magic=0xd15e37ff]
]May 28 18:49:05 Fred pppd[374]: sent [LCP EchoRep id=0x1
]magic=0x8a35c728]

Some sISPs do not trust their modems to detect a hung line so they have
their systems send this every 30 sec to see if your end is still
responding. If for some reason your end does not, it will terminate the
connection.

]A message like this appears every 30 seconds while the connection is
]alive.

]May 28 18:49:51 Fred pppd[374]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
]May 28 18:49:51 Fred pppd[374]: Modem hangup
]May 28 18:49:51 Fred pppd[374]: Connection terminated.
]May 28 18:49:52 Fred pppd[374]: Exit.

This could either be line noise cause the modems to loose sync, or the
remote end is terminating the connection.

]This is what appears when the connection ended unexpectedly. No more
]echo requests and the modem hangs up.

1. ppp hard lock ups

I'm having problems with ppp regularly locking up on me.  I seems to happen
about once a week, more or less.  Essentially, ppp gets locked into a state
where "kill -HUP" won't kill it; I have to use "kill -9" on the process.  I
also have to do a "route delete default" before restarting ppp.  Looking at
/var/log/ppp.log, I see an entry like this:

Aug 25 12:38:03 septictank ppp[4729]: tun0: Warning:
        ff02::%tun0/32: Change route failed: errno: Undefined error: 0

(note that is all on one line)

I tried to do a little newsgroup/mailing list archive searching, and found a
few folks who had similar problems, but never found any answer.

Has anyone else seen this before?  Any ideas?

Here is the contents of my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file.  I invoke ppp with the
command "ppp -nat -auto pmdemand"

default:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 set device /dev/cua00
 set speed 115200
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER
        TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATZ OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

(note the last two lines here are actually part of one line in the
 actual file)

pmdemand:
 set phone 3897000
 set login "ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 ogin:--ogin: <login> word: <password>"
 set timeout 480
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR
 enable dns

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

--

The given email address is invalid.  Replace the string
"bogus" with "net" to obtain my correct email address.

2. Can't link kernel 1.2.13: Wrong starting address ?

3. full lock-ups accessing some Internet sites via ppp?

4. Wireless Keyboard (& Stuff)

5. Lock ups with SCO and Caps lock

6. RH 6.0 /HP8110i

7. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

8. Detecting main memory faults?

9. RH5.1 PPP connection: PPP connection persists, telnet session times out

10. ppp connection locks new applications from starting!

11. Cant get ppp connection anymore - ttyS0 lock file problem

12. PPP: ICMP works, TCP locks up connection

13. PPP CONNECTION PROBLEMS/MINICOM LOCK UP