GRUB & reboot

Post by sb5.. » Mon, 19 May 2008 15:51:45

My company has a Linux Fedora 6 server.

Two days ago, users could not connect to the internet.

I issued the command "ifconfig", and saw that the IP addresses of
network cards (3) were not shown.

I rebooted the system, hoping that the server will bring up the
network interface again.

After reboot, the server hangs at "GRUB loading stage2...".

As far as I know, no other OS is insatlled on the machine.

I don't have Fedora 6 CD, and is also pretty new with Linux. Any help/
tips are apreciated.

Thanks.

GRUB & reboot

Post by Timothy Murph » Mon, 19 May 2008 22:36:48

> My company has a Linux Fedora 6 server.

> Two days ago, users could not connect to the internet.

> I issued the command "ifconfig", and saw that the IP addresses of
> network cards (3) were not shown.

> I rebooted the system, hoping that the server will bring up the
> network interface again.

> After reboot, the server hangs at "GRUB loading stage2...".

> As far as I know, no other OS is insatlled on the machine.

> I don't have Fedora 6 CD, and is also pretty new with Linux. Any help/
> tips are apreciated.

I'm not a great expert, but to me this would suggest a hardware problem.
In any case, that should be the first thing to check.

I would download and burn a Knoppix CD,
and run fsck on the partitions of your computer.

1. How can I tell what grub will do on the next reboot without rebooting?

Install it onto a floppy disk and boot from that, without changing your
current setup?

--

"However, most netters acknowledge the offline world's advantages,
 despite the fact that it is slow, clunky, and hogs bandwidth."

2. Unix PC for $350

3. reboot &c should chdir("/") (Re: Problem with reboot and umount)

4. Future Domain 18X00 SCSI driver for Linux

5. GRUB does not boot but reboot system

6. AIX 1.2: malloc problems in ld

7. sawfish/sawmill && grub

8. Dictionary on Solaris 2.x

9. GRUB && OpenBSD 2.8

10. grub reboot issue

11. GRUB attempts to load but then the system reboots

12. reboot error reboot error reboot error

13. Compaq 6000 reboots and reboots and reboots