Spinnaker chipset USB wifi card

Spinnaker chipset USB wifi card

Post by CptDond » Sun, 07 Jan 2007 01:31:59



I got a D-Link DWL-120 usb adapter on a firesale (real cheap).  For some
silly reason, I thought getting it running would be easy....

I can get it working with NDISwrapper, but I really need channel 14 (for
Japan).  D-Link doesn't provide windows drivers for Japanese locale, and
the US drivers return an error.

I've been poking around trying to figure out which native drivers might
work.  lsusb identifies it as

Quote:> 2001:3701 D-Link Corp. [hex] DWL-G120 Spinnaker 802.11b

Googling around doesn't produce much useful info, except possibly that
prism54.org might have working driver.  But that redirects to another
site <http://jbnote.free.fr/> which, when downloaded, appears to build
madwifi.

So I am really confused....

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks,

--Yan

 
 
 

Spinnaker chipset USB wifi card

Post by Unru » Sun, 07 Jan 2007 13:15:03



>I got a D-Link DWL-120 usb adapter on a firesale (real cheap).  For some
>silly reason, I thought getting it running would be easy....

No wonder it was cheap.

Quote:>I can get it working with NDISwrapper, but I really need channel 14 (for
>Japan).  D-Link doesn't provide windows drivers for Japanese locale, and
>the US drivers return an error.

What error?

Quote:>I've been poking around trying to figure out which native drivers might
>work.  lsusb identifies it as
>> 2001:3701 D-Link Corp. [hex] DWL-G120 Spinnaker 802.11b
>Googling around doesn't produce much useful info, except possibly that
>prism54.org might have working driver.  But that redirects to another
>site <http://jbnote.free.fr/> which, when downloaded, appears to build
>madwifi.

Did you build madwifi and try it, or is it handholding you need a you build
up the courage to do so.

I have no idea if it will work, but try it. I have no idea if it will
provide channel 14 either, since AFAIK that is not a channel in use in the
USA or Europe, where the driver was written. Is channel 14 the only one
that will work in Japan?

Quote:>So I am really confused....

Not sure what your confusion is.
Quote:>Can someone shed some light on this?
>Thanks,
>--Yan


 
 
 

Spinnaker chipset USB wifi card

Post by Captain Dond » Tue, 09 Jan 2007 09:28:33


V Sat, 06 Jan 2007 04:15:03 +0000, Unruh napsal(a):


>>I got a D-Link DWL-120 usb adapter on a firesale (real cheap).  For some
>>silly reason, I thought getting it running would be easy....

> No wonder it was cheap.

:-)  I think it cost me about $2 after the rebates and all.

Quote:>>I can get it working with NDISwrapper, but I really need channel 14 (for
>>Japan).  D-Link doesn't provide windows drivers for Japanese locale, and
>>the US drivers return an error.

> What error?

Something about can't set frequency....

Quote:

>>I've been poking around trying to figure out which native drivers might
>>work.  lsusb identifies it as

>>> 2001:3701 D-Link Corp. [hex] DWL-G120 Spinnaker 802.11b

>>Googling around doesn't produce much useful info, except possibly that
>>prism54.org might have working driver.  But that redirects to another
>>site <http://jbnote.free.fr/> which, when downloaded, appears to build
>>madwifi.

> Did you build madwifi and try it, or is it handholding you need a you build
> up the courage to do so.

Well, reading the assorted websites it's not clear which tarball I should
start with.....

Quote:

> I have no idea if it will work, but try it. I have no idea if it will
> provide channel 14 either, since AFAIK that is not a channel in use in the
> USA or Europe, where the driver was written. Is channel 14 the only one
> that will work in Japan?

Channel 14 is only available in Japan, but it's a standard part of the
802.11 freq range.

Quote:>>So I am really confused....

> Not sure what your confusion is.

Well, my confusion is *which* madwifi tarball to start with....  I was
hoping that someone might have gone down this road before, and saved me a
few wrong turns.

--Yan