Win95 TCP/IP, Netbios and Samba

Post by Bart Verspage » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to set up a network between a linux machine running samba, and
a Win95 machine. The windows machine has a 3C900-COMBO network card
installed, and a modem with dial-up installed. I assigned IP numbers for
local use, and it seems to work nicely, even when I dial in to my ISP, who
asigns me a (different) IP number by DHCP on the dial-up connection.
Protocols installed on my machine are TCP/IP (twice, for the 3C900 and for
dial-up), NETBEUI and IPX/SPX (the latter two because I also sometimes hook
up a notebook for which I need those two protocols). I also have client for
MS networks and File and printer sharing services installed, which are both
binded to the TCP/IP on 3C900.

My problem is that in Network environment on Win95, I don't get an icon for
the Linux machine. I can ping between the two machines without problems,
and I can even send a Winpopup message from Linux / Samba to the Win95
machine. But no icon in the network environment...

There are a number of things I checked, and eliminated as possible causes.
The samba configuration file is okay, with browseable public directories as
well as users' home directories. The hardware seems to be set up correctly.
Samba is installed okay under Linux (running in inetd, or from rc.local
does not change the problem).

One suspicion I have is that it has to do with the Netbios setting under
TCP/IP properties in Win95. On that tab, one has the option "I want to
enable Netbios under TCP/IP". The option is grayed out, i.e., cannot be
changed. I think it should be on, and although the checkbox is marked, the
fact that the option cannot be changed (i.e., grayed out), makes me
suspicious.

Therefore, a number of questions:

1. How can I change this Netbios under TCP/IP setting? Do I need to install
certain things?
2. Is this the cause of my problem, or are there other likely causes?

Thanks for your help!

Bart Verspagen

Win95 TCP/IP, Netbios and Samba

Post by Jim Rideno » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

    I was unable to get Samba working correctly until I went out and
bought a book.  I used "Linux Networking Toolkit" by Sery, but there
is another one by Blair that may be alright too.  You need to do a set
of things to get the Samba machine viewable in MS's network
neighborhood.  Too many to detail here.

On 10 Dec 1998 09:42:02 GMT, "Bart Verspagen"

>I am trying to set up a network between a linux machine running samba, and
>a Win95 machine. The windows machine has a 3C900-COMBO network card
>installed, and a modem with dial-up installed. I assigned IP numbers for
>local use, and it seems to work nicely, even when I dial in to my ISP, who
>asigns me a (different) IP number by DHCP on the dial-up connection.
>Protocols installed on my machine are TCP/IP (twice, for the 3C900 and for
>dial-up), NETBEUI and IPX/SPX (the latter two because I also sometimes hook
>up a notebook for which I need those two protocols). I also have client for
>MS networks and File and printer sharing services installed, which are both
>binded to the TCP/IP on 3C900.

>My problem is that in Network environment on Win95, I don't get an icon for
>the Linux machine. I can ping between the two machines without problems,
>and I can even send a Winpopup message from Linux / Samba to the Win95
>machine. But no icon in the network environment...

>There are a number of things I checked, and eliminated as possible causes.
>The samba configuration file is okay, with browseable public directories as
>well as users' home directories. The hardware seems to be set up correctly.
>Samba is installed okay under Linux (running in inetd, or from rc.local
>does not change the problem).

>One suspicion I have is that it has to do with the Netbios setting under
>TCP/IP properties in Win95. On that tab, one has the option "I want to
>enable Netbios under TCP/IP". The option is grayed out, i.e., cannot be
>changed. I think it should be on, and although the checkbox is marked, the
>fact that the option cannot be changed (i.e., grayed out), makes me
>suspicious.

>Therefore, a number of questions:

>1. How can I change this Netbios under TCP/IP setting? Do I need to install
>certain things?
>2. Is this the cause of my problem, or are there other likely causes?

>Thanks for your help!

>Bart Verspagen

-------
To send me email remove "REMOVETHIS" from my address.

Win95 TCP/IP, Netbios and Samba

Post by Seth Rams » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

What do you have for the "netbios name =" in smb.conf?

On 10 Dec 1998 09:42:02 GMT, "Bart Verspagen"

|I am trying to set up a network between a linux machine running samba,
and
|a Win95 machine. The windows machine has a 3C900-COMBO network card
|installed, and a modem with dial-up installed. I assigned IP numbers
for
|local use, and it seems to work nicely, even when I dial in to my ISP,
who
|asigns me a (different) IP number by DHCP on the dial-up connection.
|Protocols installed on my machine are TCP/IP (twice, for the 3C900 and
for
|dial-up), NETBEUI and IPX/SPX (the latter two because I also sometimes
hook
|up a notebook for which I need those two protocols). I also have client
for
|MS networks and File and printer sharing services installed, which are
both
|binded to the TCP/IP on 3C900.
|
|My problem is that in Network environment on Win95, I don't get an icon
for
|the Linux machine. I can ping between the two machines without
problems,
|and I can even send a Winpopup message from Linux / Samba to the Win95
|machine. But no icon in the network environment...
|
|There are a number of things I checked, and eliminated as possible
causes.
|The samba configuration file is okay, with browseable public
directories as
|well as users' home directories. The hardware seems to be set up
correctly.
|Samba is installed okay under Linux (running in inetd, or from rc.local
|does not change the problem).
|
|One suspicion I have is that it has to do with the Netbios setting
under
|TCP/IP properties in Win95. On that tab, one has the option "I want to
|enable Netbios under TCP/IP". The option is grayed out, i.e., cannot be
|changed. I think it should be on, and although the checkbox is marked,
the
|fact that the option cannot be changed (i.e., grayed out), makes me
|suspicious.
|
|Therefore, a number of questions:
|
|1. How can I change this Netbios under TCP/IP setting? Do I need to
install
|certain things?
|2. Is this the cause of my problem, or are there other likely causes?
|
|Thanks for your help!
|
|Bart Verspagen

"What's so unappealing about | Translate the reply-to
 hearing your elderly father      | to reply to me.
 talk about sex? I had sex!"     | Spammers die.
-Abraham 'Grandpa' Simpson- |

Win95 TCP/IP, Netbios and Samba

Post by Valentin Abram » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>    I was unable to get Samba working correctly until I went out and
>bought a book.  I used "Linux Networking Toolkit" by Sery, but there
>is another one by Blair that may be alright too.  You need to do a set
>of things to get the Samba machine viewable in MS's network
>neighborhood.  Too many to detail here.

What's the problem?

1) Start Samba as WINS server (add to [global] section line:

wins support = yes

2) Configure Win95 workstation.

1. Open "Network" in control panel and check "Identification", if workgroup is
same as described in /etc/smb.conf file

2. Open TCP/IP, "WINS configuration", and set there IP address of your Linux
box as WINS server.

Of cource you have to configure also "domain master", "preferred master" etc
in /etc/smb.conf file, but  Samba will be visible even with these steps above,
and all that is described in Samba doc-s.

Valentin Abramov

Post by tel.. » Mon, 14 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>What's the problem?

>1) Start Samba as WINS server (add to [global] section line:

>wins support = yes

>2) Configure Win95 workstation.

>1. Open "Network" in control panel and check "Identification", if workgroup is
>same as described in /etc/smb.conf file
>2. Open TCP/IP, "WINS configuration", and set there IP address of your Linux
>box as WINS server.
>Of cource you have to configure also "domain master", "preferred master" etc
>in /etc/smb.conf file, but  Samba will be visible even with these steps above,
>and all that is described in Samba doc-s.

I wish it was that easy.  If I set the IP address for
the Linux machine in my notebook WINS config box for
TCP/IP and reboot, when I look in after, the IP has
gone.!  The dialog box is greyed out.  .......Beats me.

Cheers

----Terry Burton

Win95 TCP/IP, Netbios and Samba

Post by Bart Verspage » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> My problem is that in Network environment on Win95, I don't get an icon
for
> the Linux machine. I can ping between the two machines without problems,
> and I can even send a Winpopup message from Linux / Samba to the Win95
> machine. But no icon in the network environment...

Thanks very much to many people who took the trouble to respond. In the
mean time, my problem is solved. There was an option in the smb.conf file
"wins server = no" that caused nmbd to crash. Because I had simply taken
that part from the sample smb.conf file, it hadn't occured to me earlier to
look there. But with the log file of nmbd, it was pretty simple to figure
out what was going on.

Win95 TCP/IP, Netbios and Samba

Post by Rejean Bisso » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I try to compile ipxtund-1.0.3, and after many many hours, I can't build
that...

I try with the option -Lz  and many many differents versions of libz.a
libz.conf etc... but.......

I will appreciate greatly
Thanks for any help

Rejean Bisson, Administrateur de reseaux
http://www.itr.qc.ca/~rejean
Les Consultants Androide Inc., Internet Trois-Rivieres
Partenaire Cogeco Cable / Cogeco Cable business partner
1620, 6ieme rue, Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada, G8Y 5B8