new user can't ftp from Windows PC's

Post by Cold Boo » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I am a fairly new Linux user running Redhat 5.0. I have configured a system
at work on a large
LAN (Novell NetWare 4.1)  I have successfully configured it to the point
that I can use Netscape
and am able to telnet to the box from other 95 and NT machines. I can also
ftp from the Linux
box, but I can't seem to figure out how to ftp the Linux box from a 95 or NT
machine.

When I execute an ftp session from either 95 or NT and attempt to open a
connection to my Linux
box after about 10 seconds I get a connection refused. If I then look at the
resulting
/var/log/secure file I see something like "unable to execute
/usr/sbin/in.ftpd..file not found".
I look for that file and it is not there....

I apologize if this is very elementary stuff but I am just learning.

TIA,
Michael Wirth

new user can't ftp from Windows PC's

Post by HeTT » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

You probably need to install the newer version of wu_ftp. It is on the
redhat site in the updates section.

--
HeTTaR
Mark Eaton

Post by Chuck Ellio » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I am a fairly new Linux user running Redhat 5.0. I have configured a system
> at work on a large
> LAN (Novell NetWare 4.1)  I have successfully configured it to the point
> that I can use Netscape
> and am able to telnet to the box from other 95 and NT machines. I can also
> ftp from the Linux
> box, but I can't seem to figure out how to ftp the Linux box from a 95 or NT
> machine.

> When I execute an ftp session from either 95 or NT and attempt to open a
> connection to my Linux
> box after about 10 seconds I get a connection refused. If I then look at the
> resulting
> /var/log/secure file I see something like "unable to execute
> /usr/sbin/in.ftpd..file not found".
> I look for that file and it is not there....

> I apologize if this is very elementary stuff but I am just learning.

> TIA,
> Michael Wirth

You need to install the ftp daemon (server). Use Glint
to install it from the network daemons packages.

1. X windows question 'root' vs 'user'

What is the difference between running xwindows as 'root' and running
it as a 'user'?  The reason I ask is this:  As root, everything works
and comes up fine.  As user, xwindows gets stuck at the gray screen
with the X cursor.  I get the small menu to exit but that is it.  I'm
assuming they are looking at 2 different files but I can't figure out
where.  There is only one XF86Config file, so it would have to be in
the login"s profile.  Does anybody know what the answer is?  As user
last night I tuned the 'fish' on in the background.  It hasn't worked
since.  Any help woud be appreciated.

Frank

2. Mount Floppy

3. Restrict ftp-chdir's to '~user'?

4. Mirroring root devies with Disksuite or Veritas Volume Manager??

5. window-pc can't connect with linux-pc using mgetty

6. KDE, xterm and emacs

7. New User account can't access X Windows

8. US-IL Position: Manager of Systems Services/Beckman Inst/ Univ of Ill

9. Help with 'user', 'w', 'who' commands

10. write command for pc's with pc-connect doesn't work

11. 'New user---- Booting Problem'

12. trouble with 'ftpwho' and reporting logged in ftp users

13. 'Welcome' email for new users