RH 6.1 dial on demand

Post by Tom Basc » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have a working ppp connection to my ISP.  All I have to do is type:

        /sbin/ifup isp

and it's up.  (I did have to replace $DEVICE with $DEVNAME in a couple
of choice locations in the ifup-ppp & ifdown-ppp scripts to get it t
take a name rather than a device but I don't think that's relevant.)  IP
forwarding is working like a champ (I'm posting this on a Windows PC
using that connection.)

I'd like to figure out how to get the link to come up automatically
whenever there is traffic headed somewhere other than my local network
(192.168.1.x).  I've seen various posts that refer to "diald" but that
does't seem to be part of RH 6.1 (I couldn't find anything in the books,
man pages or rpms -- but I could just be blind so point me to it if I
missed it.)  I'd like to stick to the path of least modification if I can
and do things the Redhat 6.1 way if it makes sense.

The machine is a server -- I'm not using it for a workstation so GUI
oriented solutions probably aren't appropriate.  Ideally I prefer to work
with "vi" and config files or scripts rather than linuxconf...

RH 6.1 dial on demand

Post by Tom Basc » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a working ppp connection to my ISP.  All I have to do is type:

>    /sbin/ifup isp

> and it's up.  (I did have to replace $DEVICE with $DEVNAME in a couple
> of choice locations in the ifup-ppp & ifdown-ppp scripts to get it t
> take a name rather than a device but I don't think that's relevant.)  IP
> forwarding is working like a champ (I'm posting this on a Windows PC
> using that connection.)

> I'd like to figure out how to get the link to come up automatically
> whenever there is traffic headed somewhere other than my local network
> (192.168.1.x).  I've seen various posts that refer to "diald" but that
> does't seem to be part of RH 6.1 (I couldn't find anything in the books,
> man pages or rpms -- but I could just be blind so point me to it if I
> missed it.)  I'd like to stick to the path of least modification if I can
> and do things the Redhat 6.1 way if it makes sense.

> The machine is a server -- I'm not using it for a workstation so GUI
> oriented solutions probably aren't appropriate.  Ideally I prefer to work
> with "vi" and config files or scripts rather than linuxconf...

Just in case anyone else needs to know...  I solved it by adding "call
isp" to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-isp and then putting:

        demand
        ktune
        :192.168.1.72

in /etc/ppp/peers/isp

Then all I do is "/sbin/ifup isp" to set it up and when there's traffic
it dials automatically.  Very slick!

Works like a charm!

1. demand dialing vs. the other demand dialing

Has anyone successfully used the pppd "demand" option, or is it considered a
joke and diald the True Way?

Does "pppd demand" randomly eat all your existing routes, effectively turing
off the ethernet device, or am I seeing things?
--
Alan Curry    |Declaration of   | _../\. ./\.._     ____.    ____.

--------------+save some time): |  \__/   \__/     \___:    \___:
 Linux,vim,trn,GPL,zsh,qmail,^H | "Screw you guys, I'm going home" -- Cartman

2. AIX 3.1 and alloca?

3. How to set up RH Linux 6.1 box for dial-in ppp access?

4. strange kern.log messages and ipchains

5. PPP Problem, always dials twice (RH 6.1)

6. BSD 4.3 tcp-ip/sockets port - mbuf deadlocks

7. RH 6.1 and Mandrake 6.1 Freeze on Install

8. Booting two OSs on a SS5...

9. Dial-On Demand with RH 5.2?

10. DialD Dial on Demand HELP w/RH 5.2

11. can't burn CDs after uprgrading from RH 6.1 to RH 7.2

12. Restoring user's passwords after RH 5.2 -> RH 6.1 refit

13. Linux RH 6.1 GPL or Linux RH Standard?