Fastest network share, which is it?

Post by Lauren » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 02:06:37

Hi All!

I'm setting up a Network Fileserver for a client, and I have _no_ time
at all to do it....

Can anyone tell me (disregarding hardware) which is the fastest method
of sharing files over a network from Linux? At the moment i'm testing
NFS (v2 now, v3 Shortly) and Samba sharing, but I have SOOOoooo little
time, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Loz        <- Linux Newbie

www.gazelle.net
Gazelle Informatics Ltd

Post by Karl Heye » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 03:51:22

> I'm setting up a Network Fileserver for a client, and I have _no_ time at
> all to do it....

sounds fairly typical, really!

Quote:> Can anyone tell me (disregarding hardware) which is the fastest method of
> sharing files over a network from Linux? At the moment i'm testing NFS (v2
> now, v3 Shortly) and Samba sharing, but I have SOOOoooo little time, can
> anyone point me in the right direction?

I wouldn't of though they would be much in it.  NFSv2 has requirements for
syncing to disk which can be disabled. NFSv3 can do 64bit files. samba is
best for interacting with windows clients.

I suspect samba will be fastest but not by much.

karl

Post by Eric P. McC » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 04:12:00

> I suspect samba will be fastest but not by much.

Samba seems to impose a large overhead, CPU-wise, in comparison to
NFS.  A sufficiently high overhead to max out a PPro-200 CPU on a
100Mb/s connection.  I had thought it was just because I was using IDE
drives, but the network connection maxes well before the CPU when
using NFS.

But I haven't put much effort so far into figuring out why this is the
case.  It's possible I have Samba misconfigured; my smb.conf is such a
mess right now I should probably just start over.  Merely looking to
provide a data point.

--

"I woke up this morning and realized what the game needed: pirates,
pimps, and gay furries."  - Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka

Post by Karl Heye » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 05:31:11

>> I suspect samba will be fastest but not by much.

> Samba seems to impose a large overhead, CPU-wise, in comparison to NFS.  A
> sufficiently high overhead to max out a PPro-200 CPU on a 100Mb/s
> connection. I had thought it was just because I was using IDE drives, but
> the network connection maxes well before the CPU when using NFS.

Check the running time of the smbd processes, I seen odd things like the
windows network drivers pounding smbd (mapped drive) looking for silly things
like snmp (filename was mib.bin).

Each machine has a smbd so many clients could cause alot more context
switching than NFS, but I wan't sure on the protocol overhead.

karl.

1. Fastest network share, which one????????

Hi All!

I've been asked to research the fastest network share possible in
Linux. I'm thinking NFS v3, but I've been told that a properly
configured Samba share can be just as fast, any comments?

There could also be methods of sharing I haven't even considered/heard
of yet can anyone let me know if i'm missing something!?

TIA!

Loz ;) (<- Linux Newbie)

2. talk,ntalk,ytalk,autolog ERRORS:How to fix utmp/wtmp?

3. World's Fastest Video Card now on the World's Fastest PC

4. Wrong email address w/Lynx

5. fastest networking solution for linux

6. STB Nitro DVD AGP Settings

7. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

8. Proxy servers break secure session

9. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

10. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

11. Which is fastest program for copying files over network e.g rcp, ftp, scp, rsync

12. Help!! Fastest network card 100% supported by Linux

13. It`s IMPORTANT!!!