console server

Post by Brian Leun » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:11:39

Hi all,

I wanna to build a console server with redhat which will be used to connect
to Sun Enterprises and routers. I have  few questions:
My PC has 4 serial ports:
1. Do i need to buy the "null modem" cables to connect the linux serial port
to Sun servers' console port and cisco routers?
2. Did minicom work fine in my project?

Thank you
Brian

console server

Post by Chris Co » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:23:42

> Hi all,

> I wanna to build a console server with redhat which will be used to connect
> to Sun Enterprises and routers. I have  few questions:
> My PC has 4 serial ports:
> 1. Do i need to buy the "null modem" cables to connect the linux serial port
> to Sun servers' console port and cisco routers?

Yes.  Some Cisco equipment use "special" pinouts.
With that said, the RJ45 to RS232 adapter that came with
your Sun works with Suns with a straight through 8wire (a piece of
cat-5 will do.. but less that that will do of course).

Quote:> 2. Did minicom work fine in my project?

I use minicom to directly access Sun equipment through the serial
port all of the time.  However, I also use Cyclade console servers
when possible (it runs Linux and is a dedicated console switch
appliance with SSH encryption to the ports).
http://www.cyclades.com

Unless you are doing this for the fun of it, I'd go with the
Cyclades units.  They'll sell you cables and adapters for
32pin/9pin/Netra-Cisco RJ45.

console server

Post by Thomas Glanzman » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 16:33:41

Quote:> 1. Do i need to buy the "null modem" cables to connect the linux serial port
> to Sun servers' console port and cisco routers?

Try google and you will find the pin assignment.

Quote:> 2. Did minicom work fine in my project?

Minicom would not be your first choice. Use screen. Benefits are:
        one programm to handle all consoles
        multi user can work on the same console or others
        you can give some user read only acess
        it logs (minicom can do this also)

In order to send a break via screen you have to use a special (long enough)
break. I attached our screenrc [1] with that break on CTRL A SHIFT B.

Have a look at the manpage of screen for further informations.

We have two console servers. One for cisco routers and one for our sun / linux
server consoles. One console Server is a Ultra 1 running Sol 9 with two MAGMA
cards (expensive!) and one is a DUAL XEON 2.0 GHZ running Linux with a real
cheap serial CARD (no cyclades ... they are much too expensive). I don't remeber
the manifacture ... but if you're interested I have a look.

Greetings,
        Thomas
--
Thomas Glanzmann  ++49 (0) 9131 85-27574   Department of Computer Science III
Martensstrasse 3  D-91058 Erlangen Germany   University of Erlangen-Nuremberg

[1] our console screenrc

# don't * up my xterm title
hardstatus alwaysignore

shell -/bin/false

screen -t faui01  -L 1  /dev/ttyS4  9600
screen -t faui02  -L 2  /dev/ttyS5  9600
screen -t faui03  -L 3  /dev/ttyS6  9600
screen -t faui04a -L 4  /dev/ttyS7  9600
screen -t faui05  -L 5  /dev/ttyS8  9600
screen -t faui07  -L 7  /dev/ttyS9  9600
screen -t openbsd -L 10 /dev/ttyS10 9600

multiuser on

acladd simigern
acladd sithglan
acladd sialgern
acladd sichkoll
acladd jnreinwa
acladd hrschulz

umask +a
defscrollback 5000

# extra long break for sun.
bind B break 3
autodetach on
logfile /local/console/log/screenlog.%t
defwritelock off

startup_message off
caption always '%{-b}%{= wb}%-Lw%{= wr}%{+b}%n%f %t%{= wb}%{-b}%+Lw %{= wr} %=%c %Y-%m-%d'

console server

Post by Thomas Glanzman » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 16:40:05

Quote:> Unless you are doing this for the fun of it, I'd go with the
> Cyclades units.  They'll sell you cables and adapters for
> 32pin/9pin/Netra-Cisco RJ45.

Cyclades are to expensive. But if you wan't to spend the money it is a
good choice. But if you go with cyclades don't put the terminal server
in a public network ... there ssh was a long time vulnerable. So I would
put the cyclades terminal server in a mgmt network.

There is only one benefit in cyclades that other don't have: They don't
send unmeant breaks.

Greetings,
        Thomas
--
Thomas Glanzmann  ++49 (0) 9131 85-27574   Department of Computer Science III
Martensstrasse 3  D-91058 Erlangen Germany   University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
            http://www3.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/Research/UMLinux/

console server

Post by Barbie LeVil » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 05:32:33

On 19 Feb 2003 07:40:05 GMT

> There is only one benefit in cyclades that other don't have: They don't
> send unmeant breaks.

lots don't send break signals, digi is one of them

--
Barbie - Prayers are like junkmail for Jesus

I have seen things you lusers would not believe.
I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last week.
Time to die.

console server

Post by Thomas Glanzman » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 07:28:22

Quote:> lots don't send break signals, digi is one of them

Would you please provide a URL to 'digi'. Thanks.

Greetings,
        Thomas
--

Post by ML Starke » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:17:17

>On 19 Feb 2003 07:40:05 GMT

>> There is only one benefit in cyclades that other don't have: They don't
>> send unmeant breaks.

>lots don't send break signals, digi is one of them

Solaris isn't as vulnerable to the dreaded "serial break" syndrome
since the new settings in /etc/default/kbd.  Check out man kbd for
details on the "alternate" break settings.

console server

Post by Thomas Glanzman » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 17:40:50

Quote:> Solaris isn't as vulnerable to the dreaded "serial break" syndrome
> since the new settings in /etc/default/kbd.  Check out man kbd for
> details on the "alternate" break settings.

Thanks for the information. Could you please also provide some reasonable
alternatives for break? I am not very skilled in this area.

Greetings,
        Thomas
--
Rathsbergerstrasse 28     D-91054 Erlangen / Burgberg     +49 (0) 9131 - 614720

console server

Post by Thomas Glanzman » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 18:31:50

Quote:> Thanks for the information. Could you please also provide some reasonable
> alternatives for break? I am not very skilled in this area.

For the records. If you uncomment the following line in sol8/9 /etc/default/kbd

#KEYBOARD_ABORT=alternate

and reboot or type 'kbd -a alternate' you enable the alternate break which
defaults to <CR> ~ CTRL B which could be typed using a screen abbreviation.

bindkey B stuff "\015\176^B"

So by pressing CTRL A SHIFT B you get the alternate break send via screen. This
works like expected and the old break signal (power cycling and that stuff) is
disabled.

But there are still some questions open: Is it also possible to use the
alternate break sequence in open boot rom? It isn't that critical but nice if it
would be possible.

Greetings,
        Thomas
--

Post by Thomas Glanzman » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:04:17

Quote:> Thanks for the information. Could you please also provide some reasonable
> alternatives for break? I am not very skilled in this area.

For the records. If you uncomment the following line in sol8/9 /etc/default/kbd

#KEYBOARD_ABORT=alternate

and reboot or type 'kbd -a alternate' you enable the alternate break which
defaults to <CR> ~ CTRL B which could be typed using a screen abbreviation.

bind B stuff "\015\176^B"

Post by Greg Andre » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 01:27:00

>But there are still some questions open: Is it also possible to use the
>alternate break sequence in open boot rom? It isn't that critical but nice
>if it would be possible.

No, the Open Boot Prom still uses an RS232 break signal as its abort.
If you think about it, you'll realize that the /etc/default/kbd file
only controls the Solaris kbd driver, which is only available when
Solaris (the kernel) is running, and not in the Open Boot Prom.

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

console server

Post by Thomas Glanzman » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 01:39:06

Quote:> No, the Open Boot Prom still uses an RS232 break signal as its abort.
> If you think about it, you'll realize that the /etc/default/kbd file
> only controls the Solaris kbd driver, which is only available when
> Solaris (the kernel) is running, and not in the Open Boot Prom.

My question was if it is possible to configure an alternative break sequence for
the Open Boot Prom.

        Thomas

console server

Post by Lon Stowel » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:52:20

>>Solaris isn't as vulnerable to the dreaded "serial break" syndrome
>>since the new settings in /etc/default/kbd.  Check out man kbd for
>>details on the "alternate" break settings.

> Thanks for the information. Could you please also provide some reasonable
> alternatives for break? I am not very skilled in this area.

   Have not been following, so if this is 2.6 or 7, you need a
   patch and am reasonably sure the man page doesn't mention
   kbd -a alternate option which sets the break to
   Carriage Return
   Tilde Control-B

   Patch 105924-10 on 2.6 and patch 107589-02 on 7

console server

Post by Greg Andre » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:00:25

>>>Solaris isn't as vulnerable to the dreaded "serial break" syndrome
>>>since the new settings in /etc/default/kbd.  Check out man kbd for
>>>details on the "alternate" break settings.

>> Thanks for the information. Could you please also provide some reasonable
>> alternatives for break? I am not very skilled in this area.

>   Have not been following, so if this is 2.6 or 7, you need a
>   patch and am reasonably sure the man page doesn't mention
>   kbd -a alternate option which sets the break to
>   Carriage Return
>   Tilde Control-B

>   Patch 105924-10 on 2.6 and patch 107589-02 on 7

Infodoc 21258 on sunsolve.sun.com gives the patches and the alternate
keystroke combination.  (which match the ones you posted)

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

1. Console lock up with Lantronix Console Server SCS3200

I am having issues with the consoles on my Sun's.  The problems have
started since I connected the consoles to a Lantronix Console server,
SCS3200.

My Sun's are 2 flavors: serial port is a DB25 connection or a RJ45
connection.

My 220R/280R's use the DB25's.  These consoles work for awhile, but
then the consoles just lock up.  Even if I disconnect the console from
the Lantroix and hook it to a laptop, the console is still dead.  Its
like Solaris has disabled it or something.  But if I reboot the sun,
the console works again for a bit.

My V210's have the RJ45 connections.  They die after a while also, but
with these, if I HUP the console process, the console wakes back up and
starts to work again.

Does anyone have any ideas ?  All of these suns work fine if I do not
connect them to the Lantronix box.

Thanks,

Paul

2. Unable to open an initial console

3. Console Server Experiences

4. Is this a sign of a break-in?

5. Console Servers for Sun SPARC systems?

6. mkmf-4.11 makefile generator

7. default windowmanager, framebuffer console, server installation

8. How to low-level format a harddrive

9. force LOM/OK mode across console server

10. Need console server software

11. Ethernet card found during installation but I see error msgs on console (server installation)

12. console server: Makers?

13. Console Server