Getting kppp, pppd and CHAP working under Mandrake 6.0

Getting kppp, pppd and CHAP working under Mandrake 6.0

Post by Jason Kolosei » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Until recently, I had been using Mandrake 5.3 (Festen) for
for all my Internet needs.  I was delighted with the
simplicity of kppp, which I used to connect to two different
sites.

The first was my peresonal Internet provider, which used
scipt based ppp.  The second was my work account that used
CHAP.  All was good and everything worked ....

.... then came Mandrake 6.  Having waited for this release
a long time, I immediately jumped on it as soon as it
was available.  Everything when well, except for a minor
umount issue and major kppp/pppd issue.

Using the same setup, from 5.3, I was able connect to my
scipt-based provider, but had no luck with my work account.
After a lot of frustration, I resorted to having both
5.3 and 6.0 on my machine.  I finally came accross a
acticle at deja.com indicating that kppp and pppd 2.3.37
was incompatible.

I install pppd 2.3.35 from Mandrake 5.3 and IT WORKED!!!
Flawlessly.  It pays to keep the earlier distributions.

Only 6.0 is on my machine now.  I reinstalled it and I upgraded
and downgraded a few packages:
    - initscripts-4.16-26mdk.i586.rpm from 6.0 updates
    - kernel-2.2.9-27mdk.i586.rpm from 6.0 updates
    - lilo-0.21-6mdk.i586.rpm from 6.0 updates
    - kdenetwork-1.1.1final-4mdk.i586.rpm from 6.0 updates

                and
    - pppd-2.3.35 from Mandrake 5.3

In case your wondering, the following are only things that I
had to setup in kppp (in my home account, not root):

    - Under kppp setup:
        - I entered a new account based on CHAP
        - Added a phone number
        - Added a domain name and added a DNS address
    - Under the kppp connection dialog:
        - I filled in my user name without any additional
          Domain name or backslashes
        - I filled in my password
    - Pressed the Connect button, and it worked.

I'm not saying this will help everyone, but it worked in my
case.

Good luck

Jason Koloseike

Post by Clifford Ki » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

: I install pppd 2.3.35 from Mandrake 5.3 and IT WORKED!!!
: Flawlessly.  It pays to keep the earlier distributions.

You could have upgraded kppp which also works.  But I agree it's a good
idea to keep the old until you know without doubt that the new works.

--

/* Those who can't write, write manuals. */

Getting kppp, pppd and CHAP working under Mandrake 6.0

Post by Jason Kolosei » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>: I install pppd 2.3.35 from Mandrake 5.3 and IT WORKED!!!
>: Flawlessly.  It pays to keep the earlier distributions.

>You could have upgraded kppp which also works.  But I agree it's a good
>idea to keep the old until you know without doubt that the new works.

Actually it hadn't occurred to me to upgrade kppp seperately.  I
had thought the latest version was in
kdenetwork-1.1.1final-4mdk.i586.rpm which I upgraded to already.  I'll

check this option out when I get home.

Thanks.

Jason Koloseike

Post by Jason Kolosei » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>: I install pppd 2.3.35 from Mandrake 5.3 and IT WORKED!!!
>: Flawlessly.  It pays to keep the earlier distributions.

>You could have upgraded kppp which also works.  But I agree it's a good
>idea to keep the old until you know without doubt that the new works.

The real issue here is that ppp distribution that came
with Mandrake 6.0 wasn't CHAP enabled.  Which is strange because
the version of ppp that came with Mandrake 5.3 was CHAP enabled.

Jason Koloseike

Post by Clifford Ki » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

: The real issue here is that ppp distribution that came
: with Mandrake 6.0 wasn't CHAP enabled.  Which is strange because
: the version of ppp that came with Mandrake 5.3 was CHAP enabled.

You're probably right, IMHO RH doesn't always have it all together.

--

/* Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword. */

1. No Route to Host: Linux-Mandrake 6.0 (kppp/pppd)

Ever since I installed Linux Mandrake 6.0 (running kppp/pppd), I have
gotten very strange performance from my internet connection in Linux.
Under Windows, the same modem and phone line work fine.  Under Linux,
roughly half of my sites will report back as "No Route to Host" -- others
work fine, although links within these sites suffer the same fate as any
link I enter.

Since this modem and line work fine in Windows, the problem lies (duh) in
Linux, and my assumption has been that it is in pppd options.  I have
attempted most (if not all) options that I can think might affect this --
obviously without success.

I am running a no-name 33.6kbps internal modem configured as /dev/ttyS1.
The modem is PnP capable, but I have it jumpered to 2F8h, IRQ3.
Dialing and connecting to several ISP's causes no problem.

Initially I blamed this on BellSouth (they're always mucking up the phone
lines around here).  But since it works OK under Windows....

Any suggestions/comments/emotional outbursts would be
welcomed/considered/tolerated.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

2. Upgraded kernel and /boot/System.map errors

3. pppd - PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 protocol negotiation

4. Help, X starts only as root

5. Getting Kppp to work in Mandrake 8.0...

6. Setting up a Network (Internet/Intranet) with Red Hat 5.1

7. Connecting pppd to NT server without chap/ms-chap

8. Apache Httpd Compile Errors.

9. kppp: Got it working with NT RAS & MS-CHAP !

10. need more help setting up Kppp for Mandrake 6.0

11. Newbie SuSE 6.0 kppp/pppd/netscape

12. Kppp & Suse 6.0 upgrade - 'pppd died unexpectedly'

13. Linux Mandrake 6.0 and kppp