Hardware Recommendations

Post by D. Shor » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hello Group...

Now that I've had this Linux box up and running well for a few
months,I'm about to pass the 133 PC running Mandrake 7 (running nicely,
but a bit sluggish) with Gnome Enlightenment as the front end down to my
daughter...

I'd like some recommendations on hardware, I will be wanting to run
Enlightenment/Gnome with EFM, but want very good performance. Would like
this to be a file server as well... Right now, the network is the coax
type (10 mb bnc), and I'll probably stick with that... then I won't have
to change to a hub or the already installed and working nics.

Currently connecting through a win2k machine with Internet sharing set
up, which works well.

Will be using VMWare in case I need to run Win apps

Basically, I want good performance... not having to wait, so I can
concentrate more on learning the OS better.

I'm thinking:

PIII 650
133 MHz bus speed MB and RAM
256 MB RAM
GeForce video w32 MB Ram (need some recommendations here on
compatability)
20 GB IDE HDD
Plain old nic (need some recommendations here on compatability)
Sound card (need some recommendations here on compatability)
CD ROM (should I get DVD?)

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--

David Short

Hardware Recommendations

Post by Rod Roa » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Just a couple of random comments:

For a home network it's good to have one Linux box as the Internet
gateway/firewall, also as file/web/mail/dns/etc server.  That way just
one machine needs to be up all the time, and Linux does it all with
more flexibility than any flavor of Windows.

Definitely get 10/100 NICs, they are not much more than the 10Mbps
variety and it puts you in a better position to upgrade.  The faster
speed will matter if you do things like running remote X applications
(which is pretty cool).

Consider Athlon, or dual Celeron, instead of the PIII.  More speed for
less money.

VMware is good.  256M with VMware is good.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

>Hello Group...

>Now that I've had this Linux box up and running well for a few
>months,I'm about to pass the 133 PC running Mandrake 7 (running nicely,
>but a bit sluggish) with Gnome Enlightenment as the front end down to my
>daughter...

>I'd like some recommendations on hardware, I will be wanting to run
>Enlightenment/Gnome with EFM, but want very good performance. Would like
>this to be a file server as well... Right now, the network is the coax
>type (10 mb bnc), and I'll probably stick with that... then I won't have
>to change to a hub or the already installed and working nics.

>Currently connecting through a win2k machine with Internet sharing set
>up, which works well.

>Will be using VMWare in case I need to run Win apps

>Basically, I want good performance... not having to wait, so I can
>concentrate more on learning the OS better.

>I'm thinking:

>PIII 650
>133 MHz bus speed MB and RAM
>256 MB RAM
>GeForce video w32 MB Ram (need some recommendations here on
>compatability)
>20 GB IDE HDD
>Plain old nic (need some recommendations here on compatability)
>Sound card (need some recommendations here on compatability)
>CD ROM (should I get DVD?)

>Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware Recommendations

Post by D. Shor » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for your reply, Rod....

What is the easiest (best supported) sound card supported? I don't want
'stunning' sound, I just want less hassles :-)

I basically want a fast box for running local apps, with as little
hassle as possible to set up, ie, completely supported installing
Mandrake 7 or the latest release available of that distro, as I have
found this the only one to run stabilly (in conjunction with my limited
experiance ;-) )

Do you know how well the GeForce (32 MB) is suppoorted, and/or, would I
be better off just chucking in the Diamonfd FireGL 1000 (8 MB) that I
have laying around?

I am a Linux newbie, so could you explain or give me an example of
running a remote X app? Do you mean running another app over the
network? If so, I don't think this will be much of an issue.

And finally, what would be better...a dual Celeron or a fast Athalon, or
a PIII? Don't the Celerons have limited caching capabilities?

And... on a personal entertainment level... are there cool games
available for Linux, like Duke Nukem, Quake, Descent, Half Life... these
impressed me under Linux...

If this should be posted somewhere else, I apologize, and will bring it
to another NG.

--

David Short

> Just a couple of random comments:

> For a home network it's good to have one Linux box as the Internet
> gateway/firewall, also as file/web/mail/dns/etc server.  That way just
> one machine needs to be up all the time, and Linux does it all with
> more flexibility than any flavor of Windows.

> Definitely get 10/100 NICs, they are not much more than the 10Mbps
> variety and it puts you in a better position to upgrade.  The faster
> speed will matter if you do things like running remote X applications
> (which is pretty cool).

> Consider Athlon, or dual Celeron, instead of the PIII.  More speed for
> less money.

> VMware is good.  256M with VMware is good.

> -- Rod
> Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
> http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

> >Hello Group...

> >Now that I've had this Linux box up and running well for a few
> >months,I'm about to pass the 133 PC running Mandrake 7 (running nicely,
> >but a bit sluggish) with Gnome Enlightenment as the front end down to my
> >daughter...

> >I'd like some recommendations on hardware, I will be wanting to run
> >Enlightenment/Gnome with EFM, but want very good performance. Would like
> >this to be a file server as well... Right now, the network is the coax
> >type (10 mb bnc), and I'll probably stick with that... then I won't have
> >to change to a hub or the already installed and working nics.

> >Currently connecting through a win2k machine with Internet sharing set
> >up, which works well.

> >Will be using VMWare in case I need to run Win apps

> >Basically, I want good performance... not having to wait, so I can
> >concentrate more on learning the OS better.

> >I'm thinking:

> >PIII 650
> >133 MHz bus speed MB and RAM
> >256 MB RAM
> >GeForce video w32 MB Ram (need some recommendations here on
> >compatability)
> >20 GB IDE HDD
> >Plain old nic (need some recommendations here on compatability)
> >Sound card (need some recommendations here on compatability)
> >CD ROM (should I get DVD?)

> >Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware Recommendations

Post by Chris Fische » Fri, 31 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:

> I'm thinking:

> PIII 650
> 133 MHz bus speed MB and RAM

I'd go with a AMD K7 Athlon...cheaper and faster.

Quote:> 256 MB RAM

That ought to work.  :-)

Quote:> GeForce video w32 MB Ram (need some recommendations here on
> compatability)

Not sure about compatibility here...check out XFree86.org.

Quote:> 20 GB IDE HDD
> Plain old nic (need some recommendations here on compatability)

You'll play hell finding a new nic with coax support, might look for a
used 3Com card that supports coax and UTP.

Quote:> Sound card (need some recommendations here on compatability)

Just about any kind of SoundBlaster...go with the SBLive card...it
rocks.

Quote:> CD ROM (should I get DVD?)

Why not? I've got a Toshiba DVD/CD-ROM drive. Works great...though I've
never tried out the DVD capabilities on Linux.

Quote:> Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'd *really* recommend going with a networking HUB as opposed to coax.
The main disadvantage to coax is that if any link on the network goes
down...your entire network goes down. With a HUB, this isn't a factor.
You can get a good, but cheap "network starter kit" from Netgear. You
get a 4-port HUB, 2 NIC's, and cabling. You can get the specs at
http://netgear.baynetworks.com. I think you can get the kit for well
under $100.

Regards,

Chris

Hardware Recommendations

Post by Lars Gaarde » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> GeForce video w32 MB Ram (need some recommendations here on
> compatability)

If you want to be able to play OpenGL games under linux, you
would be much better off with a Matrox G400 or a Voodoo3.
The driver currently available for the GeForce is slow, and
of beta quality.

Quote:> Plain old nic (need some recommendations here on compatability)

Intel EEPro100, 3Com 3C905 or some tulip-based card.

Quote:> Sound card (need some recommendations here on compatability)

SB Live has good drivers.

--
LarsG.

1. recommendation on hardware recommendation

Hi, if you have time I'd appreciate the corrections to the

http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html

I know I should not have written it, but there is so much
good fast cheap hardware, while most documents like
PC-Clone UNIX Hardware Buyer's Guide do not seem to give a clue
to today's market...
Anyways.
For personal emails: the username is "comech".

Thanks!
Andrew

2. Windmodem Avoidance (Was: UPS-Signaled Shutdown)

3. (Newbie Question) Hardware recommendations for Unix server?

4. pam application

5. Hardware recommendation wanted

6. Hal-PC page with the XF86 config files?

7. hardware recommendations

8. Default Scroll wheel step Gnome

9. Hardware recommendation for small LAN

10. Solaris Hardware Recommendations

11. Red Hat 7.1: Hardware Recommendations?: Modem, Video Card

12. Host Hardware Recommendations?

13. FreeBSD hardware recommendations