Linux server with NT4.0WS, Win95

Post by Guy Willia » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I'm looking for information on using Linux servers
with NT4.0WS and Win95. Any information would be
appreciated. If you could point me to a web site
with this info, that would be helpful, too.

I need Linux info on:
- Hardware compatiblity
- database server
- email server
- security software
- network cards 10/100mbps (others, too)
- any Linux publications

Has anyone experience networking Linux servers
and NTWS and Win95?

Linux server with NT4.0WS, Win95

Post by Willard5 » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have set up a Linux server using SAMBA, the best articles on it have
been in
the Linux Journal, I will try and find out which issues.
Bill Higdon

Post by James Youngma » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I'm looking for information on using Linux servers
> with NT4.0WS and Win95. Any information would be
> appreciated. If you could point me to a web site
> with this info, that would be helpful, too.

> I need Linux info on:
> - Hardware compatiblity

See
        http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl-intel/rh42-hardware-intel.html
and
        http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/ldp/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html

Quote:> - database server

See (the first is a list of Linux database software)
        http://linas.org/linux/db.html
and also
        http://www.solidtech.com/linuxfre.htm
        http://www.tcx.se/
        http://www.sypher.com/tbm/Commercial-HOWTO/Commercial-HOWTO-7.html

Quote:> - email server

        The "standard" email server, Sendmail, supports Linux, of
course.  All the other less popular Unix email servers (exim, qmail,
smail, mmdf, and so on) also support Linux.  No doubt there are
commercial products too, though I'm not sure why one would use one.

Quote:> - security software

        I am not sure what you mean here.  Computer security is not an
"add-on" product.  It is either an integral part of an OS or the OS
doesn't have any.  Please pick up a copy of "Practical Unix Security"
by Garfinkel & Spafford.

Quote:> - network cards 10/100mbps (others, too)

        I think this is covered in the hardware HOWTO.
        Personally, I use Vortex cards (3com 3c59x) because that's
what was supplied with my Dell hardware.

Quote:> - any Linux publications

        There is the Linux Journal, and the Linux Gazette:-
http://www.ssc.com/lj/                       (this month's issue has a
                                        feature on security).
http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/lg/

Quote:> Has anyone experience networking Linux servers
> and NTWS and Win95?

Linux speaks SMB (which Win95 users know as "Microsoft Networking" or
"Microsoft file and priont sharing") and NFS.  Most Linux distribtions
come with servers for these (Samba and NFS) out of the box.

For more information, see http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/.

1. Linux,dos 6.22, Win95, NT4 Server

Hi all,

Just got Redhat 4.1

Borrowing the money to build a system

Buying a p133, VX board with 512 Cache. Samsung 8X speed and seagate 2.5 gig
disk, thinking about matrox Mistique 4meg card, but probably use a 2 meg S3
card(well its free).

I want to load all of the above operating systems.

What is the simplest way to do this,  I have not got the money for system
commander.

Any order in which to install the software, I would like to use Lilo to handle
the multiple Boots

Any suggestions about the kit I am buying. For example is Linux happy with a
samsung 8x speed.

The main goal is to learn Unix admin and server setup, plus get NT4 server
experience.  I need a job end of May.

Kind Regards Brian

Please email replies direct to me and to the news group.

I don't have access to the news groups all of the time

2. Lag in this ng

3. Win 98, Linux, NT4, NT4 Server, Win2000 - how to partition disk????

4. WinDunce Installing Linux

5. Win95/NT4 Dual Boot <--- How do I add linux ontop of this?

6. SCO actions prompt Linux warning

7. Linux on a WIN95 and NT4.0 Machine

8. Open Windows from an X-server on a PC.

9. want to add NT4 to linux/win95 boot -

10. Installing redhat linux onto NT4, Win95 system

11. NT4.0+Win95+DOS/Win3.11+Redhat+Linux- all bootable

12. Win95/linux/NT4.0

13. setup Linux with NT4/Win95