Connecting to internet using Wingate server

Connecting to internet using Wingate server

Post by Samsun Baharin Bin Mohama » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hello...
    I've installed RH6.2 in my lab computer but since my server ( Win Nt
4.0) are using a Wingate ( a program or software i guess) server and none of
our computer have IP address. So how can I connect to the internet through
this server. What files that I have to change.
    Thank you.

Connecting to internet using Wingate server

Post by Rick Matthe » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello...
>    I've installed RH6.2 in my lab computer but since my server (
>    Win Nt
>4.0) are using a Wingate ( a program or software i guess) server and
>none of our computer have IP address. So how can I connect to the
>internet through this server. What files that I have to change.

Looks like you need to change the operating system file on your server.

--
Thought for the day:
<http://mysite.directlink.net/matthews/smiles/started.htm>

Post by 10101 » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> >Hello...
> >    I've installed RH6.2 in my lab computer but since my server (
> >    Win Nt
> >4.0) are using a Wingate ( a program or software i guess) server and
> >none of our computer have IP address. So how can I connect to the
> >internet through this server. What files that I have to change.

> Looks like you need to change the operating system file on your server.

Sadly, you must pay good money for Wingate 4.0 to give you
NAT. I think NT should do NAT too (I have abandon M$).

Lebih baik guna Linux jadi server anda.

Post by Rick Matthe » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>Sadly, you must pay good money for Wingate 4.0 to give you
>NAT. I think NT should do NAT too (I have abandon M$).

That's why you should change it from NT to Linux.

--
Thought for the day:
<http://mysite.directlink.net/matthews/smiles/started.htm>

Connecting to internet using Wingate server

Post by Samsun Baharin Bin Mohama » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I'm not the administrator for my lab network, so I can't do anything about
that, only me and one of my junior use linux.

> >Sadly, you must pay good money for Wingate 4.0 to give you
> >NAT. I think NT should do NAT too (I have abandon M$).

> That's why you should change it from NT to Linux.

> --
> Thought for the day:
> <http://mysite.directlink.net/matthews/smiles/started.htm>

Connecting to internet using Wingate server

Post by d freema » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

What version of Wingate? I've been dealing with it for about 3 years, played
with Linux very easily behind it, working as my ftp telnet www server
nicely.  mail me directly for a faster response, the group seems to be slow
in reloading.

cheers,
David Freeman

>I'm not the administrator for my lab network, so I can't do anything about
>that, only me and one of my junior use linux.

>> >Sadly, you must pay good money for Wingate 4.0 to give you
>> >NAT. I think NT should do NAT too (I have abandon M$).

>> That's why you should change it from NT to Linux.

>> --
>> Thought for the day:
>> <http://mysite.directlink.net/matthews/smiles/started.htm>

Connecting to internet using Wingate server

Post by Barry Evan » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Wingate is a proxy program and will limit your connectivity to the
outside world.  If you are unable to modify it's settings then you
will likely only be able to proxy 'allowed' services.  For www traffic
you would go to your webbrowser and set the proxy options (Use proxy;
set the proxy address as the NT servers ip (local ip not the inet ip))
under preferences/options.

You would do the samething for smtp/pop/socks traffic

telnet & ftp work differently,  we used winproxy and it was something
like

telnet would require that you telnet to the NT box and then give it
the address that you desired.

-bp

icmp traffic (ping traceroute ect can't be used behind the NT box..)

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 23:35:58 +0900, "Samsun Baharin Bin Mohamad"

>Hello...
>    I've installed RH6.2 in my lab computer but since my server ( Win Nt
>4.0) are using a Wingate ( a program or software i guess) server and none of
>our computer have IP address. So how can I connect to the internet through
>this server. What files that I have to change.
>    Thank you.

1. Mandrake 7.2 connect to Wingate 4.0 on Win2k(pro) internet server

I currently maintain a small network of windows machines including Win2k
pro, which serves as my gateway to the internet thru my roadrunner cable
modem. I use wingate 4.0 on this machine with 2 NICS, the one connected to
the cable modem is DHCP enabled(of course), and the second NIC has a
static ip of 192.168.x.x, which is connected to a 4 port ethernet hub. I
also have a win98 client that is connected from the hub with a static ip
of 192.168.x.x which also uses wingate(3.05) as the client software for
sharing the internet access from the wink(pro) machine. All works fine for
these 2 machines. No I've assembled a third machine using mandrake 7.2,
for which there is no wingate software, but I want it to share the
internet acess also. I've installed the NIC (netgear, which is noticed as
a LiteOn and uses the "tulip module") in the mandrake machine, and
connected it to the ethernet hub. I've been trying various configs for
connecting a linux machine to a windows/wingate setup from various
newsgroups for 3 weeks, but nothing works. In this message I will leave
the link that shows the instructions that I have been trying. Would
someone please look at them, and see if you can tell me where I'm going
wrong. The link is here......

http://home.ubalt.edu/abento/linux/troubleshooting/network-manual.html

Also in addition, I use zonalarm for a firewall,on my win2k(pro) machine
which I have also configured to allow the linux machine and win98 machine
ip  get onto the internet. As I said before, the windows 98 client works
fine, and has for over 8 mos, but I cant get the linux box on the net. I
even ventured as far as installing redhat 7.0 instead, but with  same
results, so I came back to mandrake 7.2 (I'm still a newbie). By the way,
do I need to install samba for this to work? If so how do I go about it?
I'm really not interested in sharing files and printing at this time, just
sharing the internet connection. Any help will be greatly appreciated. In
addition, I can be reached on Instant messenger (AOL) at the screenname
of ... CRXTR1   so don't hesitate to contact me.

2. Q: FAQ for this group?

3. using Wingate as a internet gateway for Linux

4. Can't Install GCC

5. Linux box using Wingate internet proxy ?!

6. browser cipher strength and browser back button disabling

7. connecting a FreeBSD 2.2.7 client to the internet using a proxy server ...

8. Port scans

9. How can I connect external internet site through proxy server using C?

10. can linux access internet via a Wingate server

11. Using a Linux Server to connect Windows workstations to the internet.

12. Configuring Linux to Connect Through Wingate Server

13. way to set up an internet server connected through the internet/modem