Debian - [DEBIAN] Stop telnet permanently?

Debian - [DEBIAN] Stop telnet permanently?

Post by universalbitmappe » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 12:56:44

Hi,

I've installed sshd and putty, I'd like to stop telnet permanently
without removing it.

Here is a Fedora command:

Is there a similar one under Debian?

Many thanks

Post by Jay Christnac » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 19:41:25

> Hi,

> I've installed sshd and putty, I'd like to stop telnet permanently
> without removing it.

> Here is a Fedora command:

> Is there a similar one under Debian?

telnetd is started by the tcp wrapper tcpd. In debian AFAIR you need to
comment the line for telnet in the file /etc/inetd.conf .

best regards

Post by Chris Davie » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 19:26:03

> I've installed sshd and putty, I'd like to stop telnet permanently
> without removing it.

Google for "debian disable telnet". Second hit:

|   Securing Debian HOWTO - After Installation
|       You can disable services by editing /etc/inetd.conf directly,
|       but Debian provides an alternative to this: update-inetd. You
|       could remove the telnet daemon...

It then goes on to give an example that provides the exact command
you require.

Chris