ifup & ifdown questions

Post by Andre » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 12:32:06

Hello,

             Just wondering if someone else might have this minor problem.
Running Redhat 6.1 & have initscripts installed allowing for ipup ppp0 type
connections & ifdown ppp disconnects. Trouble is i would really like it that
when bring up these i got some type of echo to my screen as to what was
happening. All i get is command not found but it still dials in & connects
fine. I can only imagine that it is something in the actual /sbin/ifup of
sbin/ifdown script that when run isnt understood. It is not to the point of
affecting my connection it is really more just for cosmetic reasons that i
want to fix this. I found the below in my /var/log messages file

Oct 19 23:05:00 echelon ifdown: ./ifdown: ^Q: command not found
Oct 19 23:05:00 echelon ifdown: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown-ppp:
^Q: command not found

Any ideas/help on this would be great

Regards...

Andrew

ifup & ifdown questions

Post by Paul Colquho » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 15:40:30

| Hello,
|
|              Just wondering if someone else might have this minor problem.
| Running Redhat 6.1 & have initscripts installed allowing for ipup ppp0 type
| connections & ifdown ppp disconnects. Trouble is i would really like it that
| when bring up these i got some type of echo to my screen as to what was
| happening. All i get is command not found but it still dials in & connects
| fine. I can only imagine that it is something in the actual /sbin/ifup of
| sbin/ifdown script that when run isnt understood. It is not to the point of
| affecting my connection it is really more just for cosmetic reasons that i
| want to fix this. I found the below in my /var/log messages file
|
| Oct 19 23:05:00 echelon ifdown: ./ifdown: ^Q: command not found
| Oct 19 23:05:00 echelon ifdown: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown-ppp:
| ^Q: command not found
|
| Any ideas/help on this would be great

It looks like you have a stray control character in your scripts.

cat ifup-ppp0 | od -c

will show you all the characters in your script. Look for '\a', which is
what a ^G looks like in 'od' output. I'm not sure why...

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC.    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
     Asking for technical help in newsgroups?  Read this first:

1. How do you use ifup and ifdown while not at console?

I have a Linux computer on my network that connects my network to the
internet. I would like to be able to activate and deactivate the
connection (by using ifup ppp1 or ifdown ppp1) from another computer
on my network from which I am logged onto my Linux box through an
X-Windows session. I keep getting messages that say that users cannot
do this. I tried changing permissions, but I still cannot do it. Is
there any way to log onto a Linux box over your network as root? I can
only do that from the console. I've tried over X-Windows, but it says
wrong password. If I could log on as root from another terminal, that
would work, or if I could change things so that someone other than
root could activate ifup and ifdown, that would work.

TIA,
Ed

2. installing HELP plz!!

3. ifup-ppp0 and ifdown ppp0 fron crontab

4. RedHat 5 install hangs on Compaq 7730MT

5. user rights to use ifup, ifdown, ...

6. FAQ: comp.lang.awk: pointer

7. ifup/ifdown... in BSD?

8. Newbie Apache Question

9. Debian: doc for /etc/network/interfaces, ifup, ifdown

10. Help: ifup/ifdown are gone!!

11. ifup/ifdown script oddity

12. ifdown question

13. ifdown question for a bond