isdn, ippp and multiple ISP

Post by Hans Berglun » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Is it possible to automatically decide which ISP to call?

I have a computer on a local network (192.168.5.0), and with
an ISDN adapter to access the rest of the world.

When I try to access a computer in the network x.y.z.0, I
would like to call a specific telephone number (ISP A).

When I try to access a computer on all other networks,
I would like to call a different telephone number (ISP B).

Is it a way to set up Linux networking to do this?

Hans

isdn, ippp and multiple ISP

Post by bill davids » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

| Is it possible to automatically decide which ISP to call?
|
| I have a computer on a local network (192.168.5.0), and with
| an ISDN adapter to access the rest of the world.
|
| When I try to access a computer in the network x.y.z.0, I
| would like to call a specific telephone number (ISP A).
|
| When I try to access a computer on all other networks,
| I would like to call a different telephone number (ISP B).
|

| Is it a way to set up Linux networking to do this?

I haven't tried this, but I think I see a way. You will have to start a
copy of pppd which supports demand dialing (and have the patched kernel,
etc). Use the demand option, with a short idle out, like 'idle 120' to
keep from tying up the line. Don't use defaultroute, and call the "one
network only" ISP.

After it starts, use route to add the network you want to go over pp0,
like 'route add 192.168.33.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 ppp0'

Now start a second copy of pppd, using defaultroute, to ISP B. Same
idea, start it up.

In theory, if you initiate a packet to 192.168.33.nn it will go via
ppp0, the first process will demand dial, the connection will work,
locking will prevent connection to ppp1, and all will be well. Same
thing for other networks, the packets will go via ppp1, ISP B will be
called, etc.

Unless you have two modems I don't suggest trying to use both
connections at once. However, you should get clean timeouts, network is
unreachable, stuff like that. One pppd *may* die, although I don't think
it will.

Well, let us know if you try this.
--

"Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess."
        -- Fat John (R.I.P.)

1. Using multiple ISPs with ISDN and controlling this from a win9x box on the masqueraded network

I'm using a SUSE5.3-linux box as a gateway/firewall to the internet,
and I have this working perfectly for my usual ISP.
I'd like to connect to other ISPs occasionally though (mostly free
dial-in gaming providers)
What is the easiest way of doing this.
First of all I'd have to be able to select the ISP to connect to on
the linux box.
Secondly I'd like to be able to control this from the Win98 box I'm
playing the game on. Maybe this can be done through some scripting on
the webserver

TIA
Jan

2. Caldera OpenLinux and Soundblaster

3. Modem connect to ISDN ippp

4. I NEED A JOB!!

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. use of proc_service and libthread_db

7. ISDN, GTE, & ISP's.

8. Building Pine3.93 on SCO OSR5 with GCC

9. Isdn to ISP

10. How to connect to my ISP with Zyxel omni.net ISDN modem & CHAP ?

11. Linux LAN server dials up ISDN ISP when booting up - Can this be prevented?

12. Prob: Linux/ISDN/pppd/ISP/reconnect

13. Problems to connect with asynchPPP ISDN to ISP