Putting printer on network

Post by Douglas Paul Thie » Mon, 10 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I'd like to put my HP IIP printer on my home LAN. (Yes, I have a hub).

I don't want the printer directly hooked up to my linux box with a
parallel cable.  I need to move the printer off my desk.

Anyone know how to do this?  What hardware is
necessary/available/compatible on the printer side?

==Douglas Thiel

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Putting printer on network

Post by Tim Wilso » Mon, 10 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I'd like to put my HP IIP printer on my home LAN. (Yes, I have a hub).

> I don't want the printer directly hooked up to my linux box with a
> parallel cable.  I need to move the printer off my desk.

What's wrong with a longer printer cable? :-) Seriously, if that's the
only reason, you could set up your Linux box as a print server, and you
wouldn't have to spend any extra money.

Quote:> Anyone know how to do this?  What hardware is
> necessary/available/compatible on the printer side?

I think you'll need to buy a JetDirect print server from HP. This is an
external box that you plug into your network and into your printer. They
also have internal ones, but I don't know if the IIP can use the int.
version. You need to give the JetDirect an IP address and you're set.
(You configure it via telnet.)

Good luck,
Tim

--
Timothy Wilson           |  Powered by Linux  |      Check out:
Henry Sibley High School |                    | http://www.redhat.org

Putting printer on network

Post by Ted Stabero » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi Doug,

    A longer printer cable or a Jet Direct (HP) are the answers to your
problem.  The Jet Direct must be an external for an HP 2P as the 2P does not
have an MIO slot.

Ted Staberow
Prairie Networking, Inc.

> I'd like to put my HP IIP printer on my home LAN. (Yes, I have a hub).

> I don't want the printer directly hooked up to my linux box with a
> parallel cable.  I need to move the printer off my desk.

> Anyone know how to do this?  What hardware is
> necessary/available/compatible on the printer side?

> ==Douglas Thiel

Putting printer on network

Post by Clarence Wilkers » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

HP and others sell net connections of two sorts for printers:

1) An internal card that fits in the io option slot. I don't
   believe the IIp has such a slot ( II, IID, III do ).
3) an external box with net coming in and parallel and/or
   serial going out.

New prices were about $300 for these options. Used? maybe a
$100 if you can find them.

--
Clarence Wilkerson      \ HomePage:     http://www.math.purdue.edu/~wilker

Dept. of Mathematics      \ Messages:   (765) 494-1903, FAX 494-0548
Purdue University,         \
W. Lafayette, IN 47907-1395 \

1. Putting a printer (LJ IIIp) on a network?

Hi
I will give some history/background/devices first and then ask my
question.

Home Office setup
Machine #1 (oldest)  192.168.2.37
Pentium Pro 200 Hz,  128 MB RAM,   OS/2 Warp 4 w/fp 10,  3Com NIC

Machine #2           192.168.2.10
AMD Athalon 1Gig Hz,  256 MB Ram, MandrakeLinux 10.1 OE  power
pack,  3Com NIC

SMC Barricade 4 port router  192.168.2.1 -  Cable modem (Comcast
4 input ports/switches, one WAN output port, and one parallel
port.

HP LaserJet IIIp - parallel port only

I spent 2 years off and on trying to get these two machines to
talk to each other, using Samba & IBM peer to peer, with much
help from newsgroup people, no luck in getting the proper
combination. The main thing that is lacking is my experience
with networks. In fact at this time I don't remember the
password for the OS/2 machine. It is out of a senior citizens
budget to have a $125 per hour person come in to set them up -
even if I found someone that speaks "Linux" and "OS/2"

I have both machines going on the internet thru the router.
I can ping the other machine or the router from the other
machine.

I have had my printer on an A/B switch over these years and the
switch/cables are getting flaky. The SMC Barricade has a
parallel port built in.

Question : Is it possible to have the printer use barricade for
switching between machine, rather than the A/B switch?
--
BillM

2. Game port

3. Printer'quota on a network printer

4. SPARCclusters anyone?

5. Printer's quota on a network printer

6. Making shared libraries. Switches?

7. Using printer as network printer

8. Panicking from the very start.

9. Printer's quota on a network printer

10. Printer Properties take 1-2 minutes to come-up on network printers

11. How to configure a EPSON 570 dox matrix printer to be a network printer?

12. *** Printer Accounting on Network Printer - HOW??

13. Upgrading Printers from Remote Async Node to network printers