1. mtu_expires variable
I've been searching for the exact meaning of this variable through
Documentation and I've found just empty descriptions (to be filled in, in
Advanced Linux Routing HOWTO, and nothing also in
Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt). I've tried also to read the
kernel source code (net/ipv4/route.c) but I could not figure out what they
I've came accross this var because we want to do some experiments in class
with Path MTU discovery. But it happens that MTU is recorded between
experiments (and it's what we expect: that the stack does not do a PMTU
every time). BTW where is the PMTU value kept? Is MTU value recorded for
each destination or for each route?
So it would be nice if we could make the value found in a experiment to be
forgotten by the kernel so the students could execute the ping several
times. (ping -c 2 -m want ...) Is mtu_expires what we're looking for?
We tried to "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/mtu_expires" considering
that it's expressed in seconds. The usual value is 600. But I've read that
it's expressed in jiffies. Jiffies occur 100 times per sec on a PC, is it?
So the value 600 on a PC means 6 seconds?
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
2. Good program editor running in SCO ?
3. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking
5. uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux uninstall REDhat linux
6. Website for netfilter/iptables: netfilter.samba.org
7. Linux in Linux in Linux in
8. Tar question
9. proposal: feed smaller mailing lists into linux-kernel, add linux-kernel-core and linux-kernel-bugs
10. DHCP Linux to Linux problem, Windows to Linux works using same PC!
11. linux ppc vs linux alpha vs linux x86?
12. dns issue -- windows=>linux vs linux=>linux
13. Embedded linux , RT Linux , Linux