Dynamic IP routing w/ PPP

Post by Adam Becke » Mon, 25 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hi All,
        I just got my PPP account working and everything works great except my
ISP doesn't know how to route to my hostname.  I connect and get a
dynamic IP assignment.  How do I tell the gateway to route incoming
packets for 'Lanfear.paradise.net' (my hostname.ISP) to me and only
while I am connected?  I need this capability to setup my .rhosts file
for remsh, rexe, ect.

Can I do this somehow with arp? How?

routed directly to me. Thanks.

Adam Becker

Dynamic IP routing w/ PPP

Post by Brian Fod » Mon, 25 Mar 1996 04:00:00

writes:
:>
:>Hi All,
:>   I just got my PPP account working and everything works great except my
:>ISP doesn't know how to route to my hostname.  I connect and get a
:>dynamic IP assignment.  How do I tell the gateway to route incoming
:>packets for 'Lanfear.paradise.net' (my hostname.ISP) to me and only
:>while I am connected?  I need this capability to setup my .rhosts file
:>for remsh, rexe, ect.
:>
:>Can I do this somehow with arp? How?
:>

:>routed directly to me. Thanks.
:>
:>Adam Becker

I may be wrong on this, but with most ISPs this is not possible without
a dedicated service, a single IP address.

I've always wondered if it was possible for them to change their DNS server
when you login-in to route to you during your connection, but they probably
dont
want to have that hassle and source of failure.  My ISP is having enough
problems
right now.

If you do figure a way to do it without a dedicated service or major
involvement
from your ISP, please let me know.

Brian Foddy
Minneapolis, MN

Dynamic IP routing w/ PPP

Post by Al Longye » Tue, 26 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>    I just got my PPP account working and everything works great except my
>ISP doesn't know how to route to my hostname.  I connect and get a
>dynamic IP assignment.  How do I tell the gateway to route incoming
 ^^^^^^^^^^
>packets for 'Lanfear.paradise.net' (my hostname.ISP) to me and only

              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:>while I am connected?  I need this capability to setup my .rhosts file
>for remsh, rexe, ect.

There is simply no way that you can do this. It is not possible.

When you are given an IP address which changes with every connection then
BY DEFINITION you are given a different name which changes with every
connection since there is a static one to one connection between a specific
IP address to a specific name. Each IP address has a different name.

So, if you want a specific name then you must get one and only one IP
address with every connection. Ask paradise.net to always give you one and
only one specific IP address whenever you call.

It is the same reason that you must use POP or IMAP to retrieve mail from
paradise.net rather than simply say that your mail address is at
lanfear.paradise.net.

--

The above opinions do not necessarily represent those of the Management
of System Integrators nor any of its subsidiaries.

Dynamic IP routing w/ PPP

Post by Return of Tribb » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>>        I just got my PPP account working and everything works great except my
>>ISP doesn't know how to route to my hostname.  I connect and get a
>>dynamic IP assignment.  How do I tell the gateway to route incoming
>  ^^^^^^^^^^
>>packets for 'Lanfear.paradise.net' (my hostname.ISP) to me and only
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>while I am connected?  I need this capability to setup my .rhosts file
>>for remsh, rexe, ect.

> There is simply no way that you can do this. It is not possible.

> When you are given an IP address which changes with every connection then
> BY DEFINITION you are given a different name which changes with every
> connection since there is a static one to one connection between a specific
> IP address to a specific name. Each IP address has a different name.

> So, if you want a specific name then you must get one and only one IP
> address with every connection. Ask paradise.net to always give you one and
> only one specific IP address whenever you call.

> It is the same reason that you must use POP or IMAP to retrieve mail from
> paradise.net rather than simply say that your mail address is at
> lanfear.paradise.net.

> --

> The above opinions do not necessarily represent those of the Management
> of System Integrators nor any of its subsidiaries.

you can ask your isp to put your mahine as you have designated it in their DHCP
table.

--
                   -Clint
Admin for James.Bond.007 -> a very strange up and down mobile home on the net.

March 16th, 1996-
        Woke up from a nap sometime between 6 and 7.  Didn't know what day
        it was or if it was morning or evening; didn't care.
        Gotta love spring break.   :)