WD8003E ethernet card?

Post by Georg Schwa » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to get to work a WD8003E 8bit ISA BNC ethernet card (it has
also an AUI port) with Linux. So far, no success. I've tried it on two
different PCs (386 and 486) with 2.0.29 and 2.0.30. The card is recognized
on bootup, IRQ, base adress etc. are reported. However, I cannot get a
single packet to be sent or received. ifconfig looks fine, too.
Using the jumpers I can select the IRQ and the base address. It does not
seem to make a difference though what I use (none works).
In fact I have two WD8003E cards, and none of them worked.
On the contrary, I tried a WD8003EP (also 8 bit ISA), and it worked
flawlessly, so my cabeling, kernel etc. are all right.
The major difference between the WD8003E and WD8003EP I could spot was
that the first ones do use shared memory at 0xD000 while the latter uses
it at 0xCA00 (at least Linux says so). Could that make a difference? I've
tried to change that with the jumpers, but to no success. Anybody got a
working WD8003E (or even documentation for it :-)) willing to tell me
his/her parameters and jumper settings?
Are there any tricks involved with getting a WD8003E to work with Linux?
Could it be that the card is jumpered to the AUI port instead of the BNC,
which I'm using? How could that be changed if it's the case?

Any hints are really highly welcome. Thanks.
--

Institut fr Theoretische Physik  +49 30 314-24254   FAX -21130  IRC kuroi
Technische Universit?t Berlin            http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

WD8003E ethernet card?

Post by Vladimir Vuks » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>I'm trying to get to work a WD8003E 8bit ISA BNC ethernet card (it has
>also an AUI port) with Linux. So far, no success. I've tried it on two
>different PCs (386 and 486) with 2.0.29 and 2.0.30. The card is recognized
>on bootup, IRQ, base adress etc. are reported. However, I cannot get a
>single packet to be sent or received. ifconfig looks fine, too.

If I remember correctly WD8003 have a jumper for memory address that says
SOFT. Put jumper on it. Let Linux decide what is the best address. I don't
remember having any problems installing my WD8003 (a long time ago).

Vladimir

WD8003E ethernet card?

Post by Sven C. Da » Sun, 19 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Any hints are really highly welcome. Thanks.

  Since SMC took over some parts of WD you  can find different drivers and the
docs for the card at the foloowing address:

    ftp://ftp.smc.com/pub/nics/ethernet/8xxx

  There is a file called 'setjmp.exe' that contains the info for the different
jumpers.

Sven
--
LOAD "EMACS",8,1

WD8003E ethernet card?

Post by Georg Schwa » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

the solution to my problem was quite simple: apparently, both WD8003E I
had had were damaged; they didn't work. I found a third one in an old XT,
and that one worked flawlessly with Linux (plug&play - as M$ would call
it - provided you've got the correct kernel option compiled in of course).
It seems to work perfectly, even with NFS; in fact I'm just sending this
article across it.
--

Post by Netiz » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>>If I remember correctly WD8003 have a jumper for memory address that says
>>SOFT. Put jumper on it. Let Linux decide what is the best address. I don't

[snip]
That's not how the WD80xx cards work. The soft setting means you can
use WD/SMC software to define alternate settings that get stored on
the card. The hard settings are 3,280,d0000 and 10,300,cc000, but soft
settings can be IRQ 2 - 15, and many port and rambase variations.
I use WD8013 (Elite-16 Combo) cards in my Linux systems, and they work
better than the newer cards I have running in my NT/95 systems.
You can get this software at: http://mclv.net/animal/wd8013.zip if you
don't have it already.

WD8003E ethernet card?

Post by Georg Schwa » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>If I remember correctly WD8003 have a jumper for memory address that says
>SOFT. Put jumper on it. Let Linux decide what is the best address. I don't

AFAIK you're refering to the WD8003EP.