FTP install of Red Hat 6.0 using DFE-530TX

FTP install of Red Hat 6.0 using DFE-530TX

Post by Aaron Wrigh » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I have a machine which has no CD-ROM drive, but it does have a fast
connection to the internet using a D-Link DFE-530TX NIC. I'd like to
install Red Hat 6.0 on this machine using FTP.

When I start the installation and get to the point where I select my NIC
driver, I choose the VIA Rhine driver, and after a couple of seconds, the
installer comes back with "I can't find the device anywhere on your
system!" If I hit Alt-F3, I see the following:

* picked driver VIA Rhine
* running: /bin/insmod /bin/insmod /modules/via-rhine.o
* insmod failed!

If I hit Alt-F5, I see:

Cannot find archive member via-rhine.o: file does not exist in archive

I don't get this "file does not exist" error if I pick any other driver to
try. To me it looks like the via rhine driver is missing from the
bootnet.img for Red Hat 6.0. Is that possible? Has anyone else come across
this? If this is the case, what can I possibly do about it since I can't
install Linux until I have the driver working?

Thanks in advance,
Aaron

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

FTP install of Red Hat 6.0 using DFE-530TX

Post by Aaron David Wrigh » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Turns out this is a known bug which has already been reported to Red Hat and
fixed. I found an updated floppy image that had the VIA Rhine driver in the
"updates" subdirectory on the FTP tree. Silly me, I was just assuming that
the one in the "images" directory would have been the most current. One
thing I'm quickly learning about Linux is that the only thing my assumptions
are good for is making an ass out of you and mption.

-Aaron

Quote:> I have a machine which has no CD-ROM drive, but it does have a fast
> connection to the internet using a D-Link DFE-530TX NIC. I'd like to
> install Red Hat 6.0 on this machine using FTP.

> When I start the installation and get to the point where I select my NIC
> driver, I choose the VIA Rhine driver, and after a couple of seconds, the
> installer comes back with "I can't find the device anywhere on your
> system!" If I hit Alt-F3, I see the following:

> * picked driver VIA Rhine
> * running: /bin/insmod /bin/insmod /modules/via-rhine.o
> * insmod failed!

> If I hit Alt-F5, I see:

> Cannot find archive member via-rhine.o: file does not exist in archive

> I don't get this "file does not exist" error if I pick any other driver to
> try. To me it looks like the via rhine driver is missing from the
> bootnet.img for Red Hat 6.0. Is that possible? Has anyone else come across
> this? If this is the case, what can I possibly do about it since I can't
> install Linux until I have the driver working?

> Thanks in advance,
> Aaron

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com

FTP install of Red Hat 6.0 using DFE-530TX

Post by Rod Smi » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I have a machine which has no CD-ROM drive, but it does have a fast
> connection to the internet using a D-Link DFE-530TX NIC. I'd like to
> install Red Hat 6.0 on this machine using FTP.

> When I start the installation and get to the point where I select my NIC
> driver, I choose the VIA Rhine driver, and after a couple of seconds, the
> installer comes back with "I can't find the device anywhere on your
> system!" If I hit Alt-F3, I see the following:

> * picked driver VIA Rhine
> * running: /bin/insmod /bin/insmod /modules/via-rhine.o
> * insmod failed!

> If I hit Alt-F5, I see:

> Cannot find archive member via-rhine.o: file does not exist in archive

> I don't get this "file does not exist" error if I pick any other driver to
> try. To me it looks like the via rhine driver is missing from the
> bootnet.img for Red Hat 6.0. Is that possible?

Yes, it's possible.  In fact, I just checked, and via-rhine is indeed
missing from the archive.  I suggest you report this to Red Hat as a bug,
since it is clearly that.  Adding the appropriate driver to the floppy
wouldn't be that tricky if you had a working Red Hat 6.0 system running,
but of course that puts you in a chicken-and-egg situation unless you have
another system handy.  If I were running an appropriate system, I'd offer
to add the file and upload a modified boot floppy to an appropriate site,
but I don't have a system with the appropriate kernel version.  :-(
Perhaps somebody else can do this, though....

--
Rod Smith

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me

1. D-Link DFE-530tx Rev A-1 and DFE-530tx Rev D2

Freebsd ver 4.0 and 4.3   the Rev A-1 board is recognized (pci) perfect.

the Rev D2 board is a PIA.. I did manange to foolaround with the
/usr/src/sys/pci/if_vrreg.h file and get it

to been seen but then the MAC addr comes back all zeros ??

is there anyway to get this new board to work..

I did note on the rev D the  Vendor ID = 1106  the product 1186   1300
0200

on the old one ( rev A ) the product something like  3043..

anyhelp would be great..

this took me way to long to find..

code fixes ?? any tricks ??

Regards
Terry

2. exportfs/mount problem

3. DFE-530TX & Red Hat 7.1

4. KDE 2.2.1 binary packages (and a build script) for Solaris x86 now available

5. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

6. gz format

7. D-Link DFE-530TX 10/100 PCI network card not supported by Redhat 6.0

8. Problem at boot time

9. Anybody using the D-Link DFE-530TX?

10. Using FreeBSD with Dlink DFE-530TX

11. Anybody using a DFE-530TX+ Ethernet card?!

12. Downloading - Red Hat - 6.0 Under windows using Cute-FTP

13. Installing a D-Link DFE-530TX NIC into Redhat6.0