Real NAT on RH60 ???

Post by Tobias Goeri » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello evereybody

I want to use Linux as a Firewall with ipchains.
I need full NAT-Support and not only masquerading.
That means that i don't want to hide several IP's behind the Firewall IP
(1:n) but a full n:m NAT-Translation.
For example:

intern IP                 extern IP
192.168.1.42     -->      193.42.1.42
192.168.1.43     -->      193.42.1.43

192.168.1.42     <--      193.42.1.42
192.168.1.43     <--      193.42.1.43

Some poeple say you should use ipmasqadm to solve this problem, but
this programm seems to redirect the packets and the dokumentation says
that the extern sender only sees the connection to the firewall but the
intern reciever it seems to be a direct connection to the real sender.
But when using real NAT the sender should not see firewall.

Can anybody can give me a hint, where I can find a tool for implementing
NAT on my Server.
There is a NAT option in the Kernel, but how can I use it?
I'm using RedHat 6.0 with 2.2.5 or 2.2.10 kernel.

Thank You for your answers !!!

Tobias Goerig

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

Real NAT on RH60 ???

Post by Superb » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am also searching for 'Real NAT' on RH6.0. But I can't. I am thinking of
using IP aliasing together with ipmasqadm to a work-around. In this case,
The firewall will listen on serval IPs (193.42.1.42, 193.42.1.43), then
using
ipmasqadm do the forwarding to the internal IP.

However, I think it only work for one direction only. i.e.
192.168.1.42     <-x-      193.42.1.42
192.168.1.43     <-x-      193.42.1.43

I haven't tried it but I am going to. Anyone has any idea.

Regards,
Martin NG

Real NAT on RH60 ???

Post by Bill Anderso » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I am also searching for 'Real NAT' on RH6.0. But I can't. I am thinking of
> using IP aliasing together with ipmasqadm to a work-around. In this case,
> The firewall will listen on serval IPs (193.42.1.42, 193.42.1.43), then
> using
> ipmasqadm do the forwarding to the internal IP.

By entering ?linux+nat into netscape's url box, I retrieved sme links.
About a quarter of the way down is:
http://linas.org/linux/load.html

I believe the two of you will find it useful.

Cheers.

Bill

1. Real NAT for on linux firewall

Hi all

I'm trying to use a real nat on a linux firewall

what i need is this:

212.x.x.1 nat to 10.10.x.x my lan
212.x.x.2 nat to 192.168.0.1 my web
212.x.x.3 nat to 192.168.0.2 my 2nd web
212.x.x.4 nat to mail server

In order to use multiple ip over one eth i use aliasing so

eth0 = 212.x.x.1
eth0:0 = 212.x.x.2
eth0:1 = 212.x.x.3
eth0:2 = 212.x.x.4

also i have

eth1 = 192.168.0.5 (interface on server lan)
eth2 = 10.10.x.1   (interface on lan)

now i need to forward all the packets from eth0:x , eth1 and eth2 and also i need to NAT

I read that is impossible to NAT using alias interfaces....is this true?

but if i omit the "-i ethx" command in ipchains -A forward command?

has someone tried this way?

Have you got another way to do this?

Please help me

thanks all!

Pietro

2. Cannot ping internet from Linux network

3. Where is REAL NAT on Linux at the moment

4. What is the best distribution of Linux for Oracle?

5. How to do "Real" NAT (IP to IP) ??

6. Wanted: Simple FTP/HTTP server with Samba

7. RAT/NAT on RH6 -- real IPs, different class A?

8. string variables

9. Question about nat and real ips behind firewall

10. Nat to Nat?

11. NAT-T (NAT Traversal) support for Linux

12. Specific nat problem - GURUS HELP (bug in pf/nat?)

13. Is NAT in Linux the same as NAT in FreeBSD ?