3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question

3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question

Post by Jerry Griev » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 04:28:44

All of the following questions are based on situations arising on a RedHat
6.0 system:

QUESTION 1:  Gnome

I was using the Gnome desktop enviroment when running X but, Being new in
Linux, and curious, I thought I would switch to fvwm95 to see what it was
like. I didn't like it very much so I wanted to switch back to Gnome, but
Gnome doesn't appear as an option in the "Switch To: " menu options. I was
simply wondering what I can do to get my computer to start X in Gnome with
enlightenment like it used to.

QUESTION 2:  CD-Rom Detect

I recently added a CD-Rom to a system that didn't previously have one. I
tried to mount it using the /dev/cdrom device but it doesn't detect a cdrom
there. Is it possible that it is actually coming in as a different device
(eg. /dev/ttyxx)? I was wondering if there is a way to probe the system to
find the cdrom and report back to me what /dev it is actually on. In a
windows environment I had to use a device driver file, so I am assuming that
it is not plug-n-play. Please help if you can. Thanks.

QUESTION 3:  IMLIB

I had an older version of IMLIB running on my system than was necessary to
run an application, so I tried updating to IMLIB 1.9.5-5.i386.rpm ... It
said that the package was already installed, but when I tried to run the
application, it said it needed to be installed. I tried to uninstall the RPM
and reinstall it, but it said that by uninstalling the RPM I would be
affecting the dependancies of other programs and it would not let me
uninstall it. I am in a catch 22 it would seem. How can I get this RPM to
install, or is it just better to try and upgrade to an even later version of
the RPM, and if that is the case, will the later version of the RPM still
work on RedHat 6.0? Please help if possible. Thank You Very Much.

Any possible help on these issus would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

--
Sincerely

Jerry Grieve
IT Support
SPP,LLC

3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question

Post by Trey Water » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 06:07:18

To answer question 1:

Check your .xinitrc file.  This would be a good starting point.  I don't
use Gnome, so I don't know the command to start it.  Just place the
command in here, and take out the fvwm reference.

To answer question 2:

devices with mnemonics are generally links (ie., there is no such thing as
/dev/mouse, /dev/cdrom/, ...).  These are just links to the appropriate
device.

If you look through dmesg, you should be able to find which device the
CD-ROM is detected as, although you should already know this (unless it's
a drive with a proprietary interface) from how you connected the drive to
the system.

IDE drives are generally:
Primary master -> /dev/hda (usually your hard drive)
Primary slave  -> /dev/hdb
Secondary master -> /dev/hdc
Secondary slave  -> /dev/hdd

SCSI drives will take the notation:
/dev/scd0 for the first CD-ROM, and up for subsequent drives.

If it is a proprietary interface (ie., some older Sony's, Matsushita's, or
Panasonics), the device will be different, and you may need to recompile
the kernel for support.  Read the docs for the associated drive to find
the device name.

To answer question 3:

It sounds as though you are using  'rpm -i imlib.....' to upgrade the
package.  If you read the rpm man page, it states that for upgrading, you
should use 'rpm -U [package_file]'.

If this fails, then the version you are trying to install is too new for
some of the other packages on your system.

If you truly wish to uninstall the package, you can simply do
'rpm -e --nodeps [package_file]'

-Trey

> All of the following questions are based on situations arising on a RedHat
> 6.0 system:

> QUESTION 1:  Gnome

> I was using the Gnome desktop enviroment when running X but, Being new in
> Linux, and curious, I thought I would switch to fvwm95 to see what it was
> like. I didn't like it very much so I wanted to switch back to Gnome, but
> Gnome doesn't appear as an option in the "Switch To: " menu options. I was
> simply wondering what I can do to get my computer to start X in Gnome with
> enlightenment like it used to.

> QUESTION 2:  CD-Rom Detect

> I recently added a CD-Rom to a system that didn't previously have one. I
> tried to mount it using the /dev/cdrom device but it doesn't detect a cdrom
> there. Is it possible that it is actually coming in as a different device
> (eg. /dev/ttyxx)? I was wondering if there is a way to probe the system to
> find the cdrom and report back to me what /dev it is actually on. In a
> windows environment I had to use a device driver file, so I am assuming that
> it is not plug-n-play. Please help if you can. Thanks.

> QUESTION 3:  IMLIB

> I had an older version of IMLIB running on my system than was necessary to
> run an application, so I tried updating to IMLIB 1.9.5-5.i386.rpm ... It
> said that the package was already installed, but when I tried to run the
> application, it said it needed to be installed. I tried to uninstall the RPM
> and reinstall it, but it said that by uninstalling the RPM I would be
> affecting the dependancies of other programs and it would not let me
> uninstall it. I am in a catch 22 it would seem. How can I get this RPM to
> install, or is it just better to try and upgrade to an even later version of
> the RPM, and if that is the case, will the later version of the RPM still
> work on RedHat 6.0? Please help if possible. Thank You Very Much.

> Any possible help on these issus would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in
> advance.

> --
> Sincerely

> Jerry Grieve
> IT Support
> SPP,LLC

                 F u cn rd ths u cnt spl wrth a dm!

3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question

Post by BCT » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 06:48:19

Quote:> All of the following questions are based on situations arising on a
RedHat
> 6.0 system:

> QUESTION 1:  Gnome

> I was using the Gnome desktop enviroment when running X but, Being new
in
> Linux, and curious, I thought I would switch to fvwm95 to see what it
was
> like. I didn't like it very much so I wanted to switch back to Gnome,
but
> Gnome doesn't appear as an option in the "Switch To: " menu options. I
was
> simply wondering what I can do to get my computer to start X in Gnome
with
> enlightenment like it used to.

Look in your /$HOME/.xinitrc file.  You can copy the system xinitrc file
into your home dir, putting the "." in front of the name, and then in
the last line of the script it should say "exec <something>".  Change
<something> to gnome-session.

Quote:

> QUESTION 2:  CD-Rom Detect

> I recently added a CD-Rom to a system that didn't previously have one.
> tried to mount it using the /dev/cdrom device but it doesn't detect a
cdrom
> there. Is it possible that it is actually coming in as a different
device
> (eg. /dev/ttyxx)? I was wondering if there is a way to probe the
system to
> find the cdrom and report back to me what /dev it is actually on. In a
> windows environment I had to use a device driver file, so I am
assuming that
> it is not plug-n-play. Please help if you can. Thanks.

Is your cd-rom a primary slave, secondary master, secondary slave?  The
corresponding devices are: /hdb, /hdc, /hdd for IDE, or /sdb, /sdc,
/sdd, for scsi.  Type "ls -l /dev/cdrom" to make sure it is pointing to
the correct device.  If not, as root, you can point it to the right
device with "ln -sf /dev/hdb /dev/cdrom", replacing hdb with whatever is
right for your setup.

Quote:

> QUESTION 3:  IMLIB

> I had an older version of IMLIB running on my system than was
necessary to
> run an application, so I tried updating to IMLIB 1.9.5-5.i386.rpm ...
It
> said that the package was already installed, but when I tried to run
the
> application, it said it needed to be installed. I tried to uninstall
the RPM
> and reinstall it, but it said that by uninstalling the RPM I would be
> affecting the dependancies of other programs and it would not let me
> uninstall it. I am in a catch 22 it would seem. How can I get this RPM
> install, or is it just better to try and upgrade to an even later
version of
> the RPM, and if that is the case, will the later version of the RPM
still
> work on RedHat 6.0? Please help if possible. Thank You Very Much.

Did you try using the -U option w/ rpm to update?

Quote:

> Any possible help on these issus would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
in
> advance.

> --
> Sincerely

> Jerry Grieve
> IT Support
> SPP,LLC

----
        Support provided by Linuxgruven, Inc.
        www.linuxgruven.com
        314-727-0918

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

1. 3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question

[...]

2. anyone knows Infoflex's database

3. Preinstallation Questions.(ATAPI CDROM and Booting Questions)

4. Fixed? Apparent 6x86 problem fix.

5. Mini-Linux Distribution Questions + General Questions + UMSDOS Questions

6. Can't collect mail

7. Questions, questions questions

8. Help with PCI-to-PCMCIA adaptor

9. Questions Questions Questions ???

10. Questions, Questions, and more Questions..

11. imlib question - Linux Newbie

12. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)

13. sar Question (probably a newbie question)