SMTP/POP3/Mail Servers

Post by Patrick Coone » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I'm not sure what programs i need to set up and run, but here is what i
would like to do.  instead of using my ISP for my mail server (which
only gave me one account), i would like my linux box to do this. I have
4 PCs connected  to the linux box.  I currently use netscapes mail
reader/sender (pop3/smtp) /w my ISP.  I would like to have my linux box
be the pop3d/smtp server.  I have tried this, but get a SMTP not
responding error.

(and those who answered my question on the DNS problem, thank you very
much.  (it seems my ISP changed the DNS# to something else, w/o
informing me.. ))

SMTP/POP3/Mail Servers

Post by Martin Wahlstr » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>I'm not sure what programs i need to set up and run, but here is what i
>would like to do.  instead of using my ISP for my mail server (which
>only gave me one account), i would like my linux box to do this. I have
>4 PCs connected  to the linux box.  I currently use netscapes mail
>reader/sender (pop3/smtp) /w my ISP.  I would like to have my linux box
>be the pop3d/smtp server.  I have tried this, but get a SMTP not
>responding error.

>(and those who answered my question on the DNS problem, thank you very
>much.  (it seems my ISP changed the DNS# to something else, w/o
>informing me.. ))

1) man sendmail,man sendmail,man sendmail,man sendmail
2) man sendmail.cf
3) vi /etc/sendmail.cf
4) vi /etc/rc.d/rc.xxx
    Add: sendmail -bd -q15

5) get ftp.qualcomm.com/quest/servers/unix/popper/qpopper2.3.tar.Z
6) more README, INSTALL
7) install it..

8) get ftp.ccil.org/pub/esr/fetchmail/someversion...
9) more README
10) install it..

11) Enjoy!

        Martin/

This is just my opinion and has nothing to do
with the company named "Ericsson"

SMTP/POP3/Mail Servers

Post by Shane Frensle » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> only gave me one account), i would like my linux box to do this. I have
> 4 PCs connected  to the linux box.  I currently use netscapes mail
> reader/sender (pop3/smtp) /w my ISP.  I would like to have my linux box
> be the pop3d/smtp server.  I have tried this, but get a SMTP not
> responding error.

You need to set up your sendmail.cf so that it uses your ISP's smtp server
as a smart forwarding host. Are you planning on using the same mail
account for 4 people? If so, you'll need to get something to download the
mail from the your ISP's pop account and move it into the correct mail
spool for the user. I've done this before and I used a perl script that
can retrieve POP3 mail. I then made it look in the angle brackets of the
to: address in order to find out who it is addressed to and move the mail

site.

1. Help: Eudora mail application cannot connect with POP3 and SMTP server

Hi,

My server is SCO Internet FastStart 1.1. Today, our lan client mail

application (eudora) cannot communicate with the server for checking and

sending mail, but we can still use ppp dailin to server or command line

in server to check and send mail under the same mail account.

For Sending mail, Eudora dialog will show "error writing file to

network"and wait to press stop. The syslog file in server prompt "I/O

error on connection from [172.16.2.63]. Connection reset by peer during

collect with 172.16.2.63." and "SYSERR: putoutmsg([172.16.2.63]): error

on output channel sending '220 ESTMP spoken here': Broken timeout".

For Receiving mail, Eudora dialog can pass the authuication, it will

show "RETR1" and wait to press stop. The syslog file in server prompt

"Unable to get canonical name on client, err=11"

Since we can check and send mail via ppp dialin, I think it may be the

network error in LAN to transfer mail between server and client. I have
recreated the mail box in server, but it is useless. I can ping the
client machine in server successfully.

How to test the mail transfer between client and server in LAN? What's

the problem? How to fix it?

Thank and Regard

2. Yggdrasil pl14 Printing Problem - Makes Printer unresponsive

3. How to connect a POP3/SMTP Mail server with Solaris 2.5?

4. WU-FTP and guest access

5. POP3/SMTP Mail server under Linux

6. Please help -- Problem with keyboard

7. mail (pop3 + smtp) server using ODBC connections for user & auth info?

8. port 1024 , 1025 ??

9. running smtp server and pop3 server on same machine ?

10. (newbie) pop3 mail client on pc attached via ethernet to linux pop3 server problems

11. POP3, SMTP, IMAP mail

12. pop3,smtp mail - what's the easiest?

13. Any Console Mail Client with POP3 and SMTP-auth supported??