IPChains and DHCP

Post by Lan M.. » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 07:17:57

Hello,

cable network.  If I'm using IPChains how do I deal with a network address
that could change at any time?  It seems this would break my
firewall or not allow routing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dougm

IPChains and DHCP

Post by Christer Ekhol » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 07:36:14

> Hello,

> cable network.  If I'm using IPChains how do I deal with a network address
> that could change at any time?  It seems this would break my
> firewall or not allow routing.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Dougm

You have to setup your dhcpclient so that it rerun your
ipchain-setup-script when it changes the IP. I'm using dhcpcd as
dhcpclient and it executes the program named
/etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-{interface}.exe if it exists. Probably most
dhcpclients support some way of doing this.

~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~   ~~~
Christer Ekholm
Init System Management

IPChains and DHCP

Post by Pieter Grimmerin » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 08:26:00

> Hello,

> cable network.  If I'm using IPChains how do I deal with a network address
> that could change at any time?  It seems this would break my
> firewall or not allow routing.

Not necessarily. You can use your network interface name instead
(the -i option).
I'm using an IP independent set of firewall rules, that does just fine.
Could you give an example of what you would solve using the
actual IP?

Regards,

Pieter

1. IPChains and DHCP: How often does a DHCP-supplied IPaddress change?

Forgive me if what follows reveals my massive ignorance.

My ipchains ruleset uses the DHCP-supplied external IP address provided by
the cable company.  How often does this IP address change?  How do I enable my
ipchains ruleset to reflect this change immediately and automatically?

Fulton B. Gonzalez
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155 USA