SMC Elite 16 Ultra

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>I've been having problem with getting my SMC Elite 16 Ultra work on my
>Slackware (kernel 2.0.0). I've read through Ethernet-HOWTO doc but it
>didn't help me really. I would appreciate if anybody would enlighthen me.
>Thank you.

Last time I used one it worked fine.  I don't use one routinely at the
moment although I still have one installed in a box not usually
connected to any net.

SMC Elite 16 Ultra

Post by Gary Hest » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I've been having problem with getting my SMC Elite 16 Ultra work on my
>Slackware (kernel 2.0.0). I've read through Ethernet-HOWTO doc but it
>didn't help me really. I would appreciate if anybody would enlighthen me.

Well, what problems are you having? I'm running an Elite Ultra Combo in
one of my home systems under Slackware 3.0, with an older Elite card and
an EtherPower in other systems; at work, I've got an Elite (may be an
Ultra, but it's been a while since I installed it). All of them are
working fine. We use a couple of hundred SMC cards with excellent results
under NetWare and Windoze (not my choices).

Like any other NIC, you'll have to make sure the driver is compiled in
the kernel, your card is configured correctly, and you're telling LILO
where it is. If you're not doing any of those, it won't work.

Gary

--

   The Chairman of the Board and the CFO speak for SCI. I'm neither.
The Sultan of Brunei "has four Gulfstream IVs, three Airbuses, two Boeing

SMC Elite 16 Ultra

Post by Ian Bett » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> I've been having problem with getting my SMC Elite 16 Ultra work on my
> Slackware (kernel 2.0.0)

I've got an SMC Elite 16 ULtra working fine with Slackware 2.0.0.

The way I did this was to install the bare.i kernel and include support for
the smc utltra as a loadable module. (I also support my
CD drive via this mechanism).

To do this you simply edit /etc/rc.d/rc.modules and uncommment
the line that references your smc ultra card. If you know the
address of your card you can append an io=0xNNN statement,
if you don't know the address no problem the module will probe your
hardware and try to find it (this worked for me but is not recommended).

Hope this helps,

Ian

SMC Elite 16 Ultra

Post by Constantin Ionesc » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I'm running Linux 2.0.0 Slakware on a PC w/ SMC Elite Ultra no problems. It
was just a matter of recompiling kernel with the appropriate driver -
Default is 3Com !!!

Constantin

> >I've been having problem with getting my SMC Elite 16 Ultra work on my
> >Slackware (kernel 2.0.0). I've read through Ethernet-HOWTO doc but it
> >didn't help me really. I would appreciate if anybody would enlighthen
me.
> >Thank you.

1. SMC elite 16 ultra problems

I seem to be unable to get networking/TCPIP to work with my linux,
slackware 2.o installation. the system recognises the board (ifconfig) and
can be seen to load the SMC ultra drivers at boot up. I have recompiled
the kernel and removed unneeded drivers. Only other hrdware an aha1522 scsi
controller, internal modem (supra), and trident video card. From
my readings I understand this should work.

Any help/advise greatly appreciated

Richard Piper

(also .. kernel 1.1.23)

2. Configuration Management

3. Smc ethercard elite 16 ultra 8x16 - HELP !!!

4. Force a file into cache??

5. RH8.0 and SMC Ethernet Elite 16 Ultra (network install?)

6. Enlightenment DR-0.7 - window manager for X

7. SMC Ultra vs. SMC Elite

8. Assembly question

9. Need Drivers: NE3200 or SMC Elite 16

10. AHA1522A SCSI + SMC Elite 16 PROBLEMS!

11. SMC Elite 16 crash problem.

12. Configure 2 ethernets SMC Elite 16( WD8013) with RH 5.2

13. Dropped packets, bogus packets and errors with SMC Elite 16 Plus