3CCE589ET and RH5.2/kernel 2.0.36

3CCE589ET and RH5.2/kernel 2.0.36

Post by Jose O. Nazari » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00



hi all,

just got my thinkpad equipped with a 3com 3CCE589ET (3Com Megahertz
10Mbps LAN PC card) and the RH5.2 installer, kernel and pcmcia tools
3.0.5 all don't support it. the tools _do_ support the predecessor of
this card, the 3CCE589E, and it's cousins the Etherlink III 3c589's.
loking at the list of changes in the tool package up to and including
3.0.7 i do not see this card listed. eth0 never becomes a recognized
interface with this card for the kernel, even when configured similarily
to the 3CCE589E.

so, some question:
a) support for this card anytime soon?
b) has anyone gotten this card to work with the 3c589_cs module?
c) any other caveats with this puppy?

i could send it back if needed, but i plan to hold on to it right now
since i guestimate it's only a matter of time (popularity of these
cards, quality, etc...).

thanks.

jose nazario

 
 
 

3CCE589ET and RH5.2/kernel 2.0.36

Post by Steve Took » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00



>hi all,

>just got my thinkpad equipped with a 3com 3CCE589ET (3Com Megahertz
>10Mbps LAN PC card) and the RH5.2 installer, kernel and pcmcia tools
>3.0.5 all don't support it. the tools _do_ support the predecessor of
>this card, the 3CCE589E, and it's cousins the Etherlink III 3c589's.
>loking at the list of changes in the tool package up to and including
>3.0.7 i do not see this card listed. eth0 never becomes a recognized
>interface with this card for the kernel, even when configured similarily
>to the 3CCE589E.

>so, some question:
>a) support for this card anytime soon?
>b) has anyone gotten this card to work with the 3c589_cs module?
>c) any other caveats with this puppy?

>i could send it back if needed, but i plan to hold on to it right now
>since i guestimate it's only a matter of time (popularity of these
>cards, quality, etc...).

>thanks.

>jose nazario


Firstly please somebody correct me if I'm saying anyhting wrong (sure you
will). I'm only really a newbie myself - a newbie trying to convince every
computer user in my student flat to convert to (at least try) linux.

When I was helping a friend set up his first ever RH installation we did not
set up the network at install time to use this card as it was not an available
module.  

After install we used linuxconf or netconf or netcfg to setup the network
settings.

We then re-booted (I know there must be a better way, I just don't know it) and
the kernel seemed to autodetect the card a 3c589, but it word not initalise it

Delaying Eth1 initisalization

or somesuch statement

I then noticed that the pcmcia services were se to no, edit the
/etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file and set PCMCIA=no to PCMCIA=yes.

I hope this helps, but its likely I did something stupoid in the setup, but I
did get the card working. If this was already set sorry for wasting your time,
but it did happen when I set up this card.

Regards
Steve Tooke

 
 
 

3CCE589ET and RH5.2/kernel 2.0.36

Post by Jose Nazari » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00



> >just got my thinkpad equipped with a 3com 3CCE589ET (3Com Megahertz
> >10Mbps LAN PC card) and the RH5.2 installer, kernel and pcmcia tools
> >3.0.5 all don't support it.
> I then noticed that the pcmcia services were se to no, edit the
> /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia file and set PCMCIA=no to PCMCIA=yes.
> I hope this helps, but its likely I did something stupoid in the setup, but I
> did get the card working. If this was already set sorry for wasting your time,
> but it did happen when I set up this card.

well, i do appreciate your time, but tried that and it didn't help. it
knows what kind of card it is, but it states it's unsupported.

thanks anyhow, any more ideas?

jose

 
 
 

3CCE589ET and RH5.2/kernel 2.0.36

Post by Jose Nazari » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00


afternoon, all

i wrote the other day looking for help in getting my 3c589E PCMCIA
card working in linux 2.0.36/RH5.2. at the time, i was looking at
kernel messages similar to the ones below:

Jan 21 19:20:28 biochem cardmgr[190]: starting, version is 3.0.5
Jan 21 19:20:29 biochem cardmgr[190]: watching 2 sockets
Jan 21 19:20:29 biochem kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x1000-0x17ff:
excluding 0x1268-0x126f 0x13b8-0x13bf 0x13f0-0x13f7 0x15e8-0x15ef
0x1668-0x166f 0x17b8-0x17bf 0x17f0-0x17f7
Jan 21 19:20:29 biochem kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff:
excluding 0x268-0x26f 0x3b8-0x3e7
Jan 21 19:20:29 biochem kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff:
excluding 0xa68-0xa6f
Jan 21 19:20:29 biochem kernel: cs: memory probe 0x0d0000-0x0dffff:
clean.
Jan 21 19:20:29 biochem cardmgr[190]: initializing socket 0
Jan 21 19:20:29 biochem cardmgr[190]: unsupported card in socket 0
Jan 21 19:20:29 biochem cardmgr[190]:   product info: "3Com", "Megahertz
589E", "TP/BNC LAN PC Card", "005"
Jan 21 19:20:29 biochem cardmgr[190]:   manfid: 0x0101, 0x0589
function: 6 (network)

i took some time to tinker with it some more, and i'm happy to note that
the
card work perfectly under the 3c589_cs module. the new kernel messages
are
as follows:

Jan 22 22:04:34 biochem cardmgr[292]: re-loading config file
Jan 22 22:04:34 biochem kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x1000-0x17ff:
excluding 0x1268-0x126f 0x13b8-0x13bf 0x13f0-0x13f7 0x15e8-0x15ef
0x1668-0x166f 0x17b8-0x17bf 0x17f0-0x17f7
Jan 22 22:04:34 biochem kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff:
excluding 0x268-0x26f 0x3b8-0x3e7
Jan 22 22:04:34 biochem kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff:
excluding 0xa68-0xa6f
Jan 22 22:04:34 biochem cardmgr[292]: initializing socket 0
Jan 22 22:04:34 biochem cardmgr[292]: socket 0: 3Com Megahertz 3c589E
TP/BNC LAN PC Card 005
Jan 22 22:04:34 biochem cardmgr[292]:   product info: "3Com", "Megahertz
589E", "TP/BNC LAN PC Card", "005"
Jan 22 22:04:34 biochem cardmgr[292]:   manfid: 0x0101, 0x0589
function: 6 (network)
Jan 22 22:04:35 biochem cardmgr[292]: executing: 'insmod
/lib/modules/2.0.36/pcmcia/3c589_cs.o'
Jan 22 22:04:35 biochem cardmgr[292]: executing: './network start eth0'
Jan 22 22:04:35 biochem kernel: eth0: 3Com 3c589, port 0x300, irq 3,
Auto port, hw_addr 00:10:5A:8A:BF:E3
Jan 22 22:04:36 biochem cardmgr[292]: + SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument
Jan 22 22:04:55 biochem kernel: eth0: autodetected 10baseT

i edited my /etc/pcmcia/config file to add the following lines:

card "3Com Megahertz 3c589E TP/BNC LAN PC Card 005"
  version "*"
  bind "3c589_cs"

granted, the version is for all (*) and that may require some tinkering,
but in
short it seems to work with this card. i did not have to make any
changes to any
other files, like my /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file for memory probing and
such.
this is with PCMCIA services version 3.0.5 (as noted above); i do not
know
what sorts of changes have occured to the 3c589_cs module over the
versions,
so i don't know how far back this will work. my laptop, a thinkpad 760C,
has
no cdrom drive. i did the RH5.2 install using a coworker's 3c589B NIC
and a
local server. the RH5.2 install floppies will not work with this, though
some
eager hacker could probably make it work; i also imagine a change on the
fly
could be made to the /etc/pcmcia/config file to recognize that this card
is
indeed workable with the 3c589_cs module, but i have yet to investigate
that.

my listed modules for my kernel now looks like:

Module          Pages   Used by
3c589_cs           2            1
ds                 2    [3c589_cs]      2
i82365             5            2
pcmcia_core        9    [3c589_cs ds i82365]    0

this card, FWIW, was bought from CDW (www.cdw.com) and is listed at
$128.00 as
of last week. model number 3CCE589ET, a 3Com 10Mbps LAN PC Card.

happy hacking,

jose nazario
dept of biochemistry
case western reserve university
cleveland, oh 44106-4935

 
 
 

3CCE589ET and RH5.2/kernel 2.0.36

Post by John Serafi » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00



Quote:>i wrote the other day looking for help in getting my 3c589E PCMCIA
>card working in linux 2.0.36/RH5.2.
>i edited my /etc/pcmcia/config file to add the following lines:
>card "3Com Megahertz 3c589E TP/BNC LAN PC Card 005"
>  version "*"
>  bind "3c589_cs"
>granted, the version is for all (*) and that may require some tinkering,
>but in
>short it seems to work with this card. i did not have to make any
>changes to any
>other files, like my /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file for memory probing and

I was having the same problem with a 3CXE589ET card, and tried the above.
It worked, but then none of my other cards would work. I then tried the
following addition to /etc/pcmcia/config :

card "3Com 3c589E LAN Adapter"
  version "3Com", "Megahertz 589E", "TP/BNC LAN PC Card", "005"
  bind "3c589_cs"

which works fine on my Toshiba Libretto 70 running Red Hat 5.2

 
 
 

1. RH5.2, kernel 2.0.36 : network printing problems

I am running RH5.2 and a 2.0.36 kernel on a Thinkpad 770X. The machine
is networked using a 3Com 3c589D ethernet card.

After I boot the machine and try to print to my networked printer, I
get the message

  lpr: connect: No such file or directory
  jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

Now, if I run "lpc restart all" as root, I get the message

  lps20b:
        no daemon to abort
  lps20b:
  lpc: connect: No such file or directory
        couldn't start daemon

But if I re-run "lpc restart all" as root, I then get:

  lps20b:
        no daemon to abort
  lps20b:
        daemon started

Now the queued job prints, and subsequent print jobs proceed without
any error messages.

Any idea how I can avoid running "lpc restart all" twice manually?

Thanks in advance,
Sunil

2. automatically FTP through firewall?

3. IPX and IP_MASQ

4. PPP hangs on '+++' characters, RH5.1, kernel 2.0.36

5. Loging 2

6. "Stale NFS file handle" problem (2.0.36, RH5.2)

7. XF2.1.1, CL5428 and xfig

8. 2 Network Cards under RH5.2 (2.0.36) + trouble with 3c905

9. from kernel 2.0.36 -> kernel 2.2.x

10. Rh5.2, IPMasq, Kernal 2.0.36, Win98 Netmeeting

11. newbie question -- upgrade RH5.2 to 2.0.36-3 broke my 3c905

12. Kernel 2.0.35 - Kernel 2.0.36