connecting to computer w/ telnet

Post by Obi » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have an intel machine setup with mandrake 6.0. I am trying to
configure my machine so I can telnet into it. The network card is
working and everything. I try to telnet using the computers ip address.
It says it's connected then it says the connection is closed by foreign
host. Yes, I've looked at the howtos and all but they don't seem very
helpful....

connecting to computer w/ telnet

Post by sbc » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Make sure the /etc/hosts.allow file allows telnet to answer.. It should
have a line similar to this in it:
in.telnetd: remote_ip_address

or if security is not an issue:
ALL: ALL

which allows everybody access.You also want to look at /etc/inetd.conf and
make sure the line to start the ftp deamon is uncommented. Also check to
make sure the in.ftpd file exists. I use RedHat and do not know how similar
the two distrubutions are so things might be a little different in
Mandrake.

Post by Obi » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Make sure the /etc/hosts.allow file allows telnet to answer.. It should
> have a line similar to this in it:
> in.telnetd: remote_ip_address

> or if security is not an issue:
> ALL: ALL

> which allows everybody access.You also want to look at /etc/inetd.conf and
> make sure the line to start the ftp deamon is uncommented. Also check to
> make sure the in.ftpd file exists. I use RedHat and do not know how similar
> the two distrubutions are so things might be a little different in
> Mandrake.

> > I have an intel machine setup with mandrake 6.0. I am trying to
> > configure my machine so I can telnet into it. The network card is
> > working and everything. I try to telnet using the computers ip address.
> > It says it's connected then it says the connection is closed by foreign
> > host. Yes, I've looked at the howtos and all but they don't seem very
> > helpful....

Thanks a lot for the information.....I did what you suggested...I even went as
far as uncommenting my shell login and authentication lines....still nothing
worked

connecting to computer w/ telnet

Post by Gregory Brenna » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hiya,

I would say that the host was able to understand your request, and then
said NO.

Check /etc/inetd.conf for a telnet line.  Make sure inet is running
("/etc/rc.d/init.d/inet status").  Check /etc/hosts.allow and
/etc/hosts.deny.

Make sure you have in.telnetd installed on the host:
("rpm -ql `rpm -qa|grep -i telnet`")

Check the logs on the host: /var/log/messages and /var/log/secure.  They
will probably have some interesting information.

Don't panic.  Telnet is not all that complicated.  I'd say watching the
logs as you try and telnet in will be your best diagnostic.  Try
telneting ON the host TO the host while watching the logs ("tail -f
/var/log/messages").

--
        Greg Brennan
        Shipwright Consulting Corp.

        Go n-ithe na pisteoga do thin bheagmhaitheasach.

  shipwright.vcf
< 1K Download

1. Connect to a non-utf8 computer from a utf8 computer

I regularly use ssh to connect to other computers. Most of these
computers can be configured to use UTF8, but a few can't. Whenever I'm
using non-ASCII characters on one of those computers, I get garbled
output. Is there some way to automatically, interactively convert
between utf8 and latin1 (or an arbitrary pair of character sets
obviously) on a specific terminal?

If there isn't I thought I'd write a program to do it. My idea would be
to write a program that creates a new pseudoterminal and connects the
input/output of that terminal to stdin/stdout/stderr, but filtering
through an arbitrary character convertion, and then start an arbitrary
command connected to the internal pseudoterminal. This shouldn't be
extremely hard. One would also have to make sure signals, process
groups and various icky things work as expected as well, but it should
all be doable. In the end you should be able to do something like
'convstream latin1 ssh somecomputer' to run the ssh command inside a
latin1 environment.

I'm still hoping there is a program to do this for me that I haven't
found, which is why I'm asking here.

--
Axel

2. 21140A (SMC)

3. How to connect a windows 95 computer with a Linux computer (both have network cards)

4. how to create shared mem.

5. How to connect a windows 95 computer with a Linux computer

6. Please Suggest Reasonable Mac hardware for Linux

7. Connecting LD player to NeXT computer

8. pb to install sunfreeware packages

9. Connecting a single SCSI CDRW to two computers?

10. FS: connect four computers to one monitor/keyboard/mouse

11. Connecting to Internet through another computer...

12. How to connect two computers with read Hat 6.0?

13. How to telnet to least busy computer?