pppd -d just doesn't demand dial????

Post by Serg » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me?

I can't get demand dialling to work...
I type "ppp-go -d" but nothing happens.

I've got my NAT machine working...
I type "ppp-go" at the prompt and my network has
access to the internet...

I set this up by installing Slackware 4.0 (Linux 2.2.6),
running pppsetup (this creates the options and options.demand files
for you and other stuff), and cut-pasting a little rc.firewall file.
That's about it. I didn't recompile anything it just worked
out of the box ("cd").

Is there something fundametal that I have not done to get
demand dialling to work?

Thanx

Serg.

pppd -d just doesn't demand dial????

Post by Piete » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> I can't get demand dialling to work...
> I type "ppp-go -d" but nothing happens.

What's this ppp-go command? Is it a script?
Normally I would use
/usr/sbin/pppd demand
with some other options for the local and remote IP (necessary in demand
mode)
Read man pppd

Best regards,

Pieter

1. pppd demand; dialing and dialing

I am relatively new to linux.  Have 2 Win98 and 1 linux server, as the
gateway on RH 6.1, networked, using pppd demand dialing.  Works good,
sometimes too good. Some of the time, all is well i.e. it will sit
waiting for traffic for a day or two with no automatic dialing out
unless requested.  But at times the linux machine will dial every 12
minutes without a call from any machine.  I normally leave all running
24/7.  There is no indication in /var/log/messages as to what brings
the dialing up. once up, it holds the line for the idle time set in
the script then disconnects.  12 minutes later, it starts again.

The only way I have found to stop the cycle once it starts, is to
bring all three machines down, bring the linux machine up first, then
the two W98 machines up one at a time (must be in that order) and
every thing seems to work fine sometimes for hours, sometime for days
then the cycle starts again.

Any and all help or ideas would be appreciated.

I can post the scripts used to start pppd if anyone thinks that might
be the problem, but since it works good part of the time, I don't
think that's the problem.

TIA for your interest and help.
Errol

2. EIDE DMA-2 for Linux

3. PPPD demand keeps dialing and dialing

4. Nautilus, mount and fstab

5. demand dialing PPPD always dials upon start

6. announce: linux /dev/js joystick driver

7. pppd dial on demand won't work until link is restarted

8. VIA Apollo Pro 266 Support

9. Is there a port for diald (or does OpenBSD's pppd support dial on demand)?

10. Won't dial-on-demand, routing works if run pppd manually

11. linux 2.018/kerneld/PPP dial on demand: 'network unreachable' then starts dialling

12. DNS doesn't Dial-on-demand

13. demand dialing vs. the other demand dialing