RFC 3207 (SMTP Service Extension for Secure SMTP over Transport Layer Security) - materials

RFC 3207 (SMTP Service Extension for Secure SMTP over Transport Layer Security) - materials

Post by Piotre » Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:32:30

Hi,

    does anybody know where can I find materials about RFC 3207
specification? I'm interesed in something more understandable for average
person than brief specification I've found
(http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3207.html)

Post by Vincent Jaussau » Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:38:13

> Hi,

>     does anybody know where can I find materials about RFC 3207
> specification? I'm interesed in something more understandable for average
> person than brief specification I've found
> (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3207.html)

That depends what you're looking for. TLS is an Internet standard
replacement for SSL. It's a method of encryption, like SSL.

The RFC stated upon is about using TLS over SMTP. From there it will depend
on which MTA you would like to set it up (Sendmail ? Postfix ? Courier ?
etc...)

You should probably hunt google a bit more... I'm sure you'll find hundreds
of useful links...

--
Vincent Jaussaud, Kelkoo.com IT Architect
---

1. SMTP only listens on host.domain.com:smtp want *:smtp

Hello,

I have installed RedHat7.1 and have read the release notes and recent
postings. When I do a netstat -a I get:

tcp        0      0   host.domain.com:smtp                  *:*    LISTEN

I have uncommented the DAEMON OPTIONS in the sendmail.mc and rebuilt the
sendmail.cf. I have also left the line in with the following and received
the same netstat result:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=0.0.0.0, Name=MTA') "
and
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=*, Name=MTA') "

There is nothing in the host.deny file. I added SENDMAIL:ALL to the
host.allow file as suggested by release notes. I have tried stopping
IPCHAINS services(even though the rules look good).

What do I have to do to get the following from netstat -a:

 tcp        0      0        *:smtp                  *:*    LISTEN

Thanks in advance...David

2. Any program like idledaemon for Solaris?

3. How to set sendmail SMTP auth and SMTP SSL on Solaris 9 (x86)

4. Help??Can't execute shell enviroment!!

5. SMTP on RH 7.3 Distro, using POP and SMTP on another server

6. Quake2 strangeness in X

7. Smtp direct (no ISP's smtp available)

8. mtools with 1.1.75 ?

9. "Backwards" SMTP Forwarding or Transparent SMTP Proxy

10. Timestamp from Transport Layer or Physical Layer Packet?

11. Activate TLS (Transport Layer Security) on Unix

12. smail->transport smtp: connect: No route to host??

13. smail HELO bug: "transport smtp: 501 HELO requires domain address"