Invoke diald automatically

Post by Dink » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Is is possible to invoke diald automatically in a web browser such as
netscape? As an eg, lets say we enter a URL and hit return, is it possible
for diald to be activated without manually calling it up?

Invoke diald automatically

Post by Malwar » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi Dinky,

> Is is possible to invoke diald automatically in a web browser such as
> netscape? As an eg, lets say we enter a URL and hit return, is it possible
> for diald to be activated without manually calling it up?

That's what diald is intented for. Read the manual.

Malware

Invoke diald automatically

Post by Glenn Butche » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

What I do is configure the client computers behind my linux router to
use an off-site DNS server.  I use IP addresses for local connections
(too lazy to figure out Windows hosts files); when someone types in a
URL, the browser looks it up, and off goes diald.  Now, the first packet
is usually lost, so the someone has to re-request the URL (I think there
is a patch to fix this, again too lazy...).

Glenn Butcher

Post by Frank Ha » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Is is possible to invoke diald automatically in a web browser such as
>netscape? As an eg, lets say we enter a URL and hit return, is it possible
>for diald to be activated without manually calling it up?

I'm not sure I understand your question. The only purpose for diald
is to start your modem dialing when it sees network traffic outside
your own network.

If diald is not running, just put a line in one of your startup scripts
which will start it up when your computer starts.  I placed a line in
my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.  This is on a Slackware system.

--
Frank Hahn

Invoke diald automatically

Post by Malwar » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi Glenn,

> URL, the browser looks it up, and off goes diald.  Now, the first packet
> is usually lost, so the someone has to re-request the URL (I think there
> is a patch to fix this, again too lazy...).

Yep, there is a patch available on

http://www.image.dk/~ehcorry/linux

Versions for Kernels 2.1/2.2 can be found on

http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/Michael.Mueller4/dynip.html

After applying one of the patch you can find a documentation in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/ip_dynaddr.txt

Malware

Invoke diald automatically

Post by William Grinold » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

FYI - This patch (at the first URL you gave) is for the 2.0.33 kernel; later
kernels already have this patch applied.

However, on my system (2.0.35), it's still losing the very first packet when
a client tries to send something.  But if the client sends more packets
between the time the first one is sent and the time the link is up, those
packets get correctly rewritten and are sent off just fine.  It's still that
very first packet that causes the link to come up that isn't rewritten.  Any
ideas?

Bill

>Hi Glenn,

>> URL, the browser looks it up, and off goes diald.  Now, the first packet
>> is usually lost, so the someone has to re-request the URL (I think there
>> is a patch to fix this, again too lazy...).

>Yep, there is a patch available on

>http://www.image.dk/~ehcorry/linux

>Versions for Kernels 2.1/2.2 can be found on

>http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/Michael.Mueller4/dynip.html

>After applying one of the patch you can find a documentation in
>/usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/ip_dynaddr.txt

>Malware

Invoke diald automatically

Post by Andre Dietishe » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Did you add

echo 7 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr

to your boot-sequence in order to activate the patch???

p.s. the patch is necessar (if you didn't read the manuals) on boxes
that have dynamically assigned IP-Adresses (tipically a box with
dialout to an ISP) on the ppp*. The reason is that you have your pppd
(or diald) running on a fake IP as long as it didn't dial to the ISP.
The first packet that is sent out to the ISP has still that fake IP as
return address. That's where the patch gets it's effect: It provokes a
RESET on both sockets (box's socket and destination socket) and
reinitialisation.

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 15:08:12 -0600, "William Grinolds"

>FYI - This patch (at the first URL you gave) is for the 2.0.33 kernel; later
>kernels already have this patch applied.

>However, on my system (2.0.35), it's still losing the very first packet when
>a client tries to send something.  But if the client sends more packets
>between the time the first one is sent and the time the link is up, those
>packets get correctly rewritten and are sent off just fine.  It's still that
>very first packet that causes the link to come up that isn't rewritten.  Any
>ideas?

>Bill

>>Hi Glenn,

>>> URL, the browser looks it up, and off goes diald.  Now, the first packet
>>> is usually lost, so the someone has to re-request the URL (I think there
>>> is a patch to fix this, again too lazy...).

>>Yep, there is a patch available on

>>http://www.image.dk/~ehcorry/linux

>>Versions for Kernels 2.1/2.2 can be found on

>>http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/Michael.Mueller4/dynip.html

>>After applying one of the patch you can find a documentation in
>>/usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/ip_dynaddr.txt

>>Malware

Invoke diald automatically

Post by William Grinold » Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Yup - activated it as you described.  Now, sometimes it works, sometimes it
doesn't - more often not.  I've even gone as far as upgrading the kernel to
2.2.3 and diald to 0.98.2 with same results.  <scratching head>

Bill

>Did you add

>echo 7 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr

>to your boot-sequence in order to activate the patch???

>p.s. the patch is necessar (if you didn't read the manuals) on boxes
>that have dynamically assigned IP-Adresses (tipically a box with
>dialout to an ISP) on the ppp*. The reason is that you have your pppd
>(or diald) running on a fake IP as long as it didn't dial to the ISP.
>The first packet that is sent out to the ISP has still that fake IP as
>return address. That's where the patch gets it's effect: It provokes a
>RESET on both sockets (box's socket and destination socket) and
>reinitialisation.

>On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 15:08:12 -0600, "William Grinolds"

>>FYI - This patch (at the first URL you gave) is for the 2.0.33 kernel;
later
>>kernels already have this patch applied.

>>However, on my system (2.0.35), it's still losing the very first packet
when
>>a client tries to send something.  But if the client sends more packets
>>between the time the first one is sent and the time the link is up, those
>>packets get correctly rewritten and are sent off just fine.  It's still
that
>>very first packet that causes the link to come up that isn't rewritten.
Any
>>ideas?

>>Bill

>>>Hi Glenn,

>>>Yep, there is a patch available on

>>>http://www.image.dk/~ehcorry/linux

>>>Versions for Kernels 2.1/2.2 can be found on

>>>http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/Michael.Mueller4/dynip.html

>>>After applying one of the patch you can find a documentation in
>>>/usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/ip_dynaddr.txt

>>>Malware

1. How to get your subshell's .profile executed automatically when you invoke it?

Hi!
 I am trying to invoke an interactive subshell(ksh) from within csh(which is my login shell). Right now, I have to type ksh at the csh prompt to get to the ksh($). Then, I have to type $. .profile and $. .kshrc to get my subshell customized (e.g. change my ksh prompt, setup alias...etc). Of course, I don't want to loose my parent csh by using the 'exec' command.

Is there any way you can make your .profile and .kshrc executed automatically when you
invoke ksh from within csh as a subshell?

Many thanks!

---

-Charlie Hsu-

* DSC Communications       (214) 519-4742        *
* 1000 Coit Road                                 *
* Plano, Texas 75075                             *

2. port number

3. Screen Saver: Any way to automatically invoke

4. Debugging bash scripts?

5. can cp invoke mkdir automatically

6. dip and PPP

7. Invoking FTP automatically

8. Can DOS see Linux Partition?

9. 2.2.1, diald, diald-control, pipe, wish

10. diald problem - pppd won't start from diald

11. ip_masq and diald - diald won't bring up link for masq-ed packets

12. Question about invoking rsh from ksh

13. Can cron invoke processes to run in foreground?