PPP Sharing in RedHat7.1 (Kernel 2.4.3) ?

PPP Sharing in RedHat7.1 (Kernel 2.4.3) ?

Post by Eric Cho » Sun, 13 May 2001 11:19:39

Hello,

How can I share the PPP 56K dialup connection within RedHat7.1 ?

I use RedHat 7.1 Linux box to dialup to ISP, and there is another
PC(Windows) in the same LAN to share this PPP connection ? How can do this ?
I know the IP MASQ, but don't know how to setup? I tried to read the man
page but and tried to set it, but failed. Would you please to teach me how
to setup that and give me a simple script ?

My simple LAN structure as following :

          ISP

            | (56K Modem)
--------------------
|  RedHat 7.1    |
|   Kernel 2.4.3 |
|____________|
           | eth0
  192.168.0.1

      __|____
        HUB
      _______

--------------------
|  Windows 98  |
---------------------
   192.168.0.2

I just want my Windows 98 can use any port for IN/OUT through the LinuxBox
when the LinuxBox connect to ISP ?

Please give me a script to do that in Kernel 2.4.3 ?

Best regards,
Eric

PPP Sharing in RedHat7.1 (Kernel 2.4.3) ?

Post by Dean Thompso » Sun, 13 May 2001 14:19:10

Hi Eric,

Quote:> I use RedHat 7.1 Linux box to dialup to ISP, and there is another
> PC(Windows) in the same LAN to share this PPP connection ? How can do this ?
> I know the IP MASQ, but don't know how to setup? I tried to read the man
> page but and tried to set it, but failed. Would you please to teach me how
> to setup that and give me a simple script ?

> My simple LAN structure as following :

>           ISP
>             | (56K Modem)
> --------------------
> |  RedHat 7.1    |
> |   Kernel 2.4.3 |
> |____________|
>            | eth0
>   192.168.0.1
>       __|____
>         HUB
>       _______
> --------------------
> |  Windows 98  |
> ---------------------
>    192.168.0.2

> I just want my Windows 98 can use any port for IN/OUT through the LinuxBox
> when the LinuxBox connect to ISP ?

Edit the file /etc/sysctl.conf and make sure that the ip.forward directive has
a value or one rather than zero.  Make sure that your clients are using the IP
address of 192.168.0.1 as their gateway and that they have got the correct
netmask and subnet mask in place.

Finally, on the Linux server which is running Redhat 7.1 you will need to
issue the following commands which will eventually work their way into the a
rc.local or rc.firewall file:

# Unload the ipchains module.
/sbin/rmmod ipchains

# Load the NAT module (this pulls in all the others).
modprobe iptable_nat

# In the NAT table (-t nat), Append a rule (-A) after routing
# (POSTROUTING) for all packets going out eth0 (-o eth0) which says to
# MASQUERADE the connection (-j MASQUERADE).

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. PPP sharing in RedHat7.1 with Kernel 2.4.3

Hello,

How can I share the PPP 56K dialup connection within RedHat7.1 ?

I use RedHat 7.1 Linux box to dialup to ISP, and there is another
PC(Windows) in the same LAN to share this PPP connection ? How can do this ?
I know the IP MASQ, but don't know how to setup? I tried to read the man
page but and tried to set it, but failed. Would you please to teach me how
to setup that and give me a simple script ?

My simple LAN structure as following :

          ISP

            | (56K Modem)
--------------------
|  RedHat 7.1    |
|   Kernel 2.4.3 |
|____________|
           | eth0
  192.168.0.1

      __|____
        HUB
      _______

--------------------
|  Windows 98  |
---------------------
   192.168.0.2

I just want my Windows 98 can use any port for IN/OUT through the LinuxBox
when the LinuxBox connect to ISP ?

Please give me a script to do that in Kernel 2.4.3 ?

Best regards,
Eric

2. Namesevice on RS/6000....

3. Recreate kernel .config-file for existing redhat7-kernel

4. ftp activity log/monitoring tools

5. how can i install RedHat7.1 or redhat7.0 to a scsi hard disk?

6. WANTED: Solaris-style "useradd" for 4.1.3

7. PPP dial-ins refused, OSR-5 with net100

8. Missing lib.so.4

9. concurrent ppp dial-ins

10. IP Accounting doesn't work for PPP dial-ins :-(( ??

11. After recompiling kernel with PPP support, pppd says the kernel has no PPP support!

12. PPP sharing with Kernel 2.4.3 ?

13. Redhat7.3 kernel panic