localhost connecting to port 111

Post by Jens-U. Mozdze » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> [...]
> If anyone can provide a technical explanation for exactly why this
> behavior changed, I'd appreciate it.

Looks like you've switch from libc to glibc... at least for a tool that
uses the resolver library.
libc uses /etc/host.conf, glibc uses /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Regards,
Jens
--

Schleswiger Damm 200                          | phone & fax
++49-40-5595175

localhost connecting to port 111

Post by Villy Kru » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I've determined more or less what was happening here.  The answer lied in
>the nsswitch.conf file, which seemed to be ignored before, but now was
>passing off requests to nisplus.  I've removed the references to nisplus,
>and the problem disappeared.

>If anyone can provide a technical explanation for exactly why this
>behavior changed, I'd appreciate it.

The nis or nisplus client will query the portmap service on port 111 for
the port servicing the nis or nisplus requests.

Thus, whenever you look up for example a user in the password file, you
first look into the nsswtch file and see there that you realy should
ask nisplus first.  Then your program sends a question to the portmap
program at port 111 asking for the port number of the nisplus server,
and using this information it now asks the nisplus server to look up
the user name in the nisplus database.

Villy