Ethernet setup problems, please help

Post by Michael A. Power » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi! I've recently installed Linux on a system with a PCI Ethernet card (with
a realtek chip, I think).  Problem is, when I installed it did not detect it
or create an eth0 driver file.  I successfully compiled the driver and
installed it to /lib/modules/2.2.12-20/net and added an entry in
/etc/conf.modules for eth0, but I get no messages at boot time that it is
bringing up the device.  So I guess I need to create the device files, but
I'm not completely sure how to do it (and I don't know if this will solve
the problem either- there may be other things I haven't done) .

Thanks for any help you can provide,
-Michael Powers

Ethernet setup problems, please help

Post by Timothy Murp » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi! I've recently installed Linux on a system with a PCI Ethernet card (with
>a realtek chip, I think).  Problem is, when I installed it did not detect it
>or create an eth0 driver file.  I successfully compiled the driver and
>installed it to /lib/modules/2.2.12-20/net and added an entry in
>/etc/conf.modules for eth0, but I get no messages at boot time that it is
>bringing up the device.  So I guess I need to create the device files, but
>I'm not completely sure how to do it (and I don't know if this will solve
>the problem either- there may be other things I haven't done) .

Hopefully an expert will answer your query --
but if you install the driver as a module,
will it come up at boot time?
Won't you have to install it with insmod or modprobe?

Or if you chose autoloading when compiling the kernel
(I don't think it is on by default,
at least in the kernel that comes with RH-6.1)
then it should be installed when required.

If it were me, I would try compiling the kernel
with the driver included, not as a module.

If that worked, I might try "out-sourcing" it as a module.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

1. Corel V1.0 + NIC + Ethernet, Setup Problem Help Please.

I'm trying to integrate Corel Linux V1.0 into a MS network (NT V4, Win9x
etc.)

The network card is DLink-220PCT ISA IRQ10 Hex.0x300 (tested okay under
Win98 before cutover)

Samba loaded and configured domain/IP to suit NT domain etc.

But the network doesn't appear to be detected!

Ping responds with network not accessable

No IRQ or Hex address has eth0 assigned to them in system information.

Ifconfig makes no mention of eth0.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how I can fix this fundamental problem?

Thanks.

BR - Paul

2. Trigger OOM handler through sysrq

3. Set-up woes, please, please, please help :(

4. Redhat 5.0 X mouse problem, cdrom problem... hey I'm new to these...

5. FreeBSD console driver

6. kubuntu ethernet setup help, please

7. Variables matching files?

8. Corel V1.0 + NIC + Ethernet Setup Help Please.

9. Need help with SMC EtherEZ ethernet card setup...please read :)

10. Please help me setup this ethernet.

11. newbie - ethernet setup - PLEASE help!!

12. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help