cheap switch or expensive hub? (switch/hub recommendations)

cheap switch or expensive hub? (switch/hub recommendations)

Post by rc_coll.. » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

It seems that you can now get a:

D-Link (D-Link DSS-16 Fast Ethernet Switch 2), Nortel (Nortel NetGear
FS516), or even a Farallon (Farallon Fast Starlet Switch/ 16 PN9160),
or Intel (Intel Express 410T Standalone Switch) unmanaged switch for
the price of a 3com Superstack II 10/100 hub.

Anyone happy using these see success?

Is a cheap switch equal to, or better, then an excellant hub?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Tom East » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>It seems that you can now get a:

>D-Link (D-Link DSS-16 Fast Ethernet Switch 2), Nortel (Nortel NetGear
>FS516), or even a Farallon (Farallon Fast Starlet Switch/ 16 PN9160),
>or Intel (Intel Express 410T Standalone Switch) unmanaged switch for
>the price of a 3com Superstack II 10/100 hub.

>Anyone happy using these see success?

I've been using the D-Link switch for about a week now and have had no
problems with it.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep             \  Eastep's First Principle of Computing:
ICQ #60745924           \  "Any sane computer will tell you how it

Shoreline, Washington USA \___________________________________________

1. are cheap network switches really hubs

I have got some cheap unmanaged 10/100 switches
with a few computers and when there is
a communication between two computers the nic led
on a computer not participating in the communication
lighs up constantly.  I thought hub sends all packets to
all interfaces indiscriminately and switches by
design don't do that.  Since these are unmanaged
"dumb" switches I wonder how they know
where to send the packets.

2. Help me figure out NFS permission problem!!!

3. hub and switch

4. Loosing my ip addres

5. Difference Between A Hub & A Switch

6. ipchains (or ipfwadm) question

7. Ethernet on 43P: ok on hub, not ok on switch

8. RFD: misc.business.international.moderated moderated)

9. Network without hub/switch

10. how to distinguish switch or hub per software?

11. Switch/Hub Configuration.

12. Switch - Hub distance

13. hubs and switches