Problem with networking

Post by Rodney Leg » Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:59:30

Linux Networking Guru's:

I am having some trouble attaching to the  wireless networking at my
school.  My machine is set up to pick up an address using dhcp,
however, it only seems to look for addresses in the 192.x.x.x
network.(The school leases out 169.x.x.x addresses I believe).  Does
anyone know what could be going wrong.  At home it normally works
fine, however from time to time I find that my network has leased an
address in the 192.168.2.x network although my wireless network runs
under 192.168.0.x.  I suspect that I am getting an address from
another wireless access point in my building.

The /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1 file confirms that
BOOTPROTO=dhcp?

This is the result of running the /etc/ifup eth1.

Determining IP information for eth1 .... PING 192.168.0.1 .....

---- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics  ----
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, + 3 errors, 100% packet loss

---- 192.168.2.1 ping statistics -----
same as above.

The problem only seems to manifest itself at school. Does anyone have
a clue how to fix this problem.

Thanks-
Rodney

Problem with networking

Post by LinuxEverywher » Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:03:23

post your /var/log/messages.

> Linux Networking Guru's:

> I am having some trouble attaching to the  wireless networking at my
> school.  My machine is set up to pick up an address using dhcp,
> however, it only seems to look for addresses in the 192.x.x.x
> network.(The school leases out 169.x.x.x addresses I believe).  Does
> anyone know what could be going wrong.  At home it normally works
> fine, however from time to time I find that my network has leased an
> address in the 192.168.2.x network although my wireless network runs
> under 192.168.0.x.  I suspect that I am getting an address from
> another wireless access point in my building.

> The /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1 file confirms that
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp?

> This is the result of running the /etc/ifup eth1.

> Determining IP information for eth1 .... PING 192.168.0.1 .....

> ---- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics  ----
> 3 packets transmitted, 0 received, + 3 errors, 100% packet loss

> ---- 192.168.2.1 ping statistics -----
> same as above.

> The problem only seems to manifest itself at school. Does anyone have
> a clue how to fix this problem.

> Thanks-
> Rodney

Problem with networking

Post by LinuxEverywher » Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:05:15

or if you suspect nearby APs just hardcode the  APs name in the
configuration. And see if it works.

> Linux Networking Guru's:

> I am having some trouble attaching to the  wireless networking at my
> school.  My machine is set up to pick up an address using dhcp,
> however, it only seems to look for addresses in the 192.x.x.x
> network.(The school leases out 169.x.x.x addresses I believe).  Does
> anyone know what could be going wrong.  At home it normally works
> fine, however from time to time I find that my network has leased an
> address in the 192.168.2.x network although my wireless network runs
> under 192.168.0.x.  I suspect that I am getting an address from
> another wireless access point in my building.

> The /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1 file confirms that
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp?

> This is the result of running the /etc/ifup eth1.

> Determining IP information for eth1 .... PING 192.168.0.1 .....

> ---- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics  ----
> 3 packets transmitted, 0 received, + 3 errors, 100% packet loss

> ---- 192.168.2.1 ping statistics -----
> same as above.

> The problem only seems to manifest itself at school. Does anyone have
> a clue how to fix this problem.

> Thanks-
> Rodney

Problem with networking

Post by j » Thu, 18 Sep 2003 06:02:02

The addresses leased out are determined by the dhcp server.  You may be
getting it from another wap or your wap may not be compatible with the
schools wap.  Is there someone at the school you can ask?

Quote:> Linux Networking Guru's:

> I am having some trouble attaching to the  wireless networking at my
> school.  My machine is set up to pick up an address using dhcp,
> however, it only seems to look for addresses in the 192.x.x.x
> network.(The school leases out 169.x.x.x addresses I believe).  Does
> anyone know what could be going wrong.  At home it normally works
> fine, however from time to time I find that my network has leased an
> address in the 192.168.2.x network although my wireless network runs
> under 192.168.0.x.  I suspect that I am getting an address from
> another wireless access point in my building.

> The /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1 file confirms that
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp?

> This is the result of running the /etc/ifup eth1.

> Determining IP information for eth1 .... PING 192.168.0.1 .....

> ---- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics  ----
> 3 packets transmitted, 0 received, + 3 errors, 100% packet loss

> ---- 192.168.2.1 ping statistics -----
> same as above.

> The problem only seems to manifest itself at school. Does anyone have
> a clue how to fix this problem.

> Thanks-
> Rodney

1. Iproute2 problem across networks using NAT and 2 internal networks

Hi all,
Here's the deal. I have a machine that faces the internet and has an
internal network and a DMZ. I am using iproute to NAT an ip from
public to private.

ip route add nat 4.4.4.4 via 10.1.1.1
ip rule add from 10.1.1.1 nat 4.4.4.4

Everything works fine with the preceding route and rule when talking
to the machine from the internet. The problem is that when a machine
in the internal network, say 10.1.2.1, talks to the 10.1.1.1 machine
in the DMZ, the replies get natted to 4.4.4.4, instead of replies with
the src address of 10.1.1.1. The idea is to have these ip's not get
natted when going in between the DMZ and Internal Network. Thus, the
replies come from 10.1.1.1. I toyed around with using multiple routing
tables but got nowhere. Please advise.

Internet -----|Firewall|---DMZ--- 10.1.1.1 (NAT 4.4.4.4)

           Internal Network

              10.1.2.1

Internet to DMZ is working fine with NAT.
Internal Network, 10.1.2.1 talking to 10.1.1.1, replies come from
4.4.4.4
I need replies to come from 10.1.1.1.

TIA for any guidance.

2. Printtool not seeing my printer on /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1 or /dev/lp2

3. Problem with network(connecting to internet via local network)

4. NIS (not +) under 2.5?

5. modprobe / module problem w/ network drivers (but network works)

6. Numeric Keypad not working in X

7. Network problem: SIOCADDT: Network is unreachable

8. Lock screen

9. network problem - local network setup

10. PPP Problem or network problem?

11. problem with networking

12. Problems with network printing