multiple default route routing

Post by Jay Wa » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 10:59:07

Wal, best of luck finding a solution.  I'm in a similiar situation
(only differing in Firewall flavor) and have been working on a
solution for months now as we would like to load balance the cluster.

Quote:>Hi.

>I have a scenario not sure how to go about it to solve it.

>I have a netra solaris 2.6 machine running checkpoint fw. This machine
>has several interfaces. Two of the interfaces are uplinks to providers
>(say l1 and l2).

>Now, i would like to utilize link l2 so that only/mostly outbound
>traffic passes over it. So for this, i believe that web requests
>to our web servers would be the easiest.

>So ....no probs in changing the dns etc..
>So now, a web request comes in through l2-> web_server howeverr returns
>through **** l1 **** . This is because the default route is set to l1.

>I cant add another default route as it will use both routes for in and
>out traffic.

>Is it possible to ensure that all traffic coming in through one
>interface goes back out the same interface?

>Or is it possible to send certain types of traffic (such as web -- port
>80) through a specific interface?

>[
>As a Side-note, what are the conditions , or is it possible to set the
>default route on the web_server to be one hop away from l2 (on the
>provider side) ? Ive tried this, even after i tried publishing the arp
>etc.. but didnt work for me
>]

>Is there some other way i can solve it?

>Any suggestions would be appreciated.

multiple default route routing

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 23:57:12

Quote:>Is it possible to ensure that all traffic coming in through one
>interface goes back out the same interface?

To do this, you need to make routing decisions based on source address
rather than destination address.  If you put a Cisco router in between the
firewall and the uplinks you could use its "policy routing" feature.  I
think I've also read that a similar feature has been implemented in Linux.
But I don't think that routing by source address is available for Solaris.

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA

multiple default route routing

Post by Rick Jone » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 03:46:18

For HP-UX 11 you can put the sytem into "strong ES model" mode with
ndd and have the local source addresses be part of the route lookup
decision.

rick jones
--
ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/misc/rachel/
feel free to email, OR post, but please do NOT do BOTH...

Post by C. Newpor » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 10:24:18

> Wal, best of luck finding a solution.  I'm in a similiar situation
> (only differing in Firewall flavor) and have been working on a
> solution for months now as we would like to load balance the cluster.

Ask Sun to sell you an Alteon Ace switch and aim the default
route at the VSRP address.
http://www.alteonwebsystems.com/products/acedirector

You can play all kinds of tunes on those boxes, but they are
not cheap.
--
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm
not sure about the universe.  [Albert Einstein].

multiple default route routing

Post by Jay Wa » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 12:24:02

On Sat, 06 Jan 2001 01:24:18 +0000, "C. Newport"

>> Wal, best of luck finding a solution.  I'm in a similiar situation
>> (only differing in Firewall flavor) and have been working on a
>> solution for months now as we would like to load balance the cluster.

>Ask Sun to sell you an Alteon Ace switch and aim the default
>route at the VSRP address.
>http://www.alteonwebsystems.com/products/acedirector

>You can play all kinds of tunes on those boxes, but they are
>not cheap.
>--
>Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm
>not sure about the universe.  [Albert Einstein].

We have Arrowpoint switches so that is not the problem.  The problem
is that we run the QA and Production networks through the same cluster
on different VLANS and networks.

By virtue of the one default route, it tries to route traffic for the
QA network to the Production zone.

ARGH.

1. multiple default route routing

For HP-UX 11 you can put the sytem into "strong ES model" mode with
ndd and have the local source addresses be part of the route lookup
decision.

rick jones
--
ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/misc/rachel/
feel free to email, OR post, but please do NOT do BOTH...
my email address is raj in the cup.hp.com domain...

2. Phantom optimisation

3. defunct routes (was Re: multiple default routes appear in solaris 2.5.1)

4. 0.96 include @ banjo

5. Multiple default routes on multiple interfaces

6. Desperatly looking for libbsd.a sources.

7. routed adds wrong default route

8. Oracle 10g RAC on Solaris 9

9. Routing Problem with pppd default route option.

10. diald routing problem, no default route for ppp0 with correct gateway

11. routed kills default route from pppd

12. dynamic routing - discovery of default routes?

13. routed killing my default route