VNC versus X-Servers: pros and cons

Post by Neil Zanell » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I am looking for some opinion on which is better,
an X-Sever or a VNC (Virtual Network Computing)
server.

Is anyone running VNC yet?

Does any distribution ship with VNC?
Apparently not. Too bad since VNC is GPL'd
and theoretically would be really good for
integrating different platforms.

If you have tried VNC I would like to hear from
you and see how you liked it and how its performance
compares to that of an X-Server.

Best Regards,

TIA,

Neil

Post by Eric F. Boddi » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I am looking for some opinion on which is better,
> an X-Sever or a VNC (Virtual Network Computing)
> server.

> Is anyone running VNC yet?

> Does any distribution ship with VNC?
> Apparently not. Too bad since VNC is GPL'd
> and theoretically would be really good for
> integrating different platforms.

> If you have tried VNC I would like to hear from
> you and see how you liked it and how its performance
> compares to that of an X-Server.

> Best Regards,

> TIA,

> Neil

Hi Neil,

Yes i have run vnc on nt linux and windows95 . It works pretty good and
i dont mind that tie performance is a little slow (i dont have fast
ethernet), but it is good for doing some of the things i need to do
configuration stuff and dont have to leave my computer to do it... The
best thing is it is free. I think you may like it. I do.

Eric Boddie

Post by Rod Smit » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I am looking for some opinion on which is better,
> an X-Sever or a VNC (Virtual Network Computing)
> server.

> Is anyone running VNC yet?

I've tried it, but my need for it is limited so I've not used it all
that extensively.  Here's my take on it, though, compared to an X server
running on a PC:

Plusses of VNC:
---------------
1) Gives you your default window manager when you log on (the PC-based
   X servers often have the window manager running locally, so you're
   stuck with whatever they provide or can be configured to use).
2) Allows connection to Windows boxes, not just Unix/Linux boxes.
3) Freeware.  I know of only one free Windows X server (MiX).
4) Seems speedier over slow lines (e.g., 56kbps dialup), though this
   may be a matter of default settings, and thus might change if the
   defaults were altered.
5) No problems because of changed font availability on the PC
   server (fonts get loaded from the Linux box).

Minuses of VNC:
---------------
1) Doesn't always run everything exactly correctly (I can't seem to
   get my dfm setup to work, for instance).  MiX is actually worse
   in this respect, though using another Linux box is better.
2) Doesn't work with X terminals (though they can still be used
   via the usual X protocols).
3) Seems finicky; mine stopped working when I upgraded from RH 5.1
   to RH 5.2.  (I've not yet gotten around to fixing it.)

In addition, I don't know much about VNC and security.  For all I know,
it could be a huge security hole -- but I don't know this for a fact, or
even have any reason to believe it.  That's simply an unknown factor to
me.

--
                                        --Rod Smith

1. Web Server: Apache vs. AOLServer vs. WN Server- Pros and Cons?

Hi,
What are the pros and cons between the apache, aol and wn web
servers?

I've used the apache and cern. But not the aol and wn.

All three are open source. Wouldn't the AOLServer be faster and
uses less resources because it's threaded instead of
forking/pre-forking?

Comments?

Thanks.

Alex Lam.
--
*Please cc. by email if possible. My Pacbell's news server
sucks.

2. RPLD on X86

3. XP Pro versus Home versus 2000

4. New 3D-Logo for Linux

5. ATI Pro Turbo... Pros and Cons?

6. What does Linux have that Windoze NT doesn't?

7. Virtual Server Pros and Cons. Need your opinion.

8. ppp setup problem update

9. Server Pro's/Con's Wanted

10. Server Pros and Cons

11. Virtual Server Pros and Cons. Need your opinion.

12. Multithreaded servers: pros and cons?

13. Pro/Con of the Cyrus and Washington IMAP servers