Recent problems connecting to virgin.net as ISP

Recent problems connecting to virgin.net as ISP

Post by Nial » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 05:25:05

As of last Thursday (16th August) I have been unable to connect to my ISP
(*.net) using my linux box. I have contacted their support staff and
although they had experienced problems on that evening (their RADIUS server
fell over) things are back to 'normal' and there have been no configuration
changes that would change the way I need to connect.

For several months I have been using kppp to connect to my account and have
had absolutely no problems. Now, kppp hangs after a few minutes. I have
reverted to using the ppp-on-dialer and chat script and can see the username
and password being accepted. The ppp0 interface can be 'seen' under
/proc/net/dev.

The connection sits there ruminating for a while and then times out. No
packets are sent or received and I am convinced there is nothing wrong with
my scripts or ppp installation (this is a basic Mandrake 8 install). I have
increased the timeout to see if it is a slow ppp server at the ISP end but
this has had no effect. I have had to resurrect an old HD with Win98
installed to regain access to the web and can confirm that this connects
with no problems using the same credentials I used with the Linux box.

Any suggestions or ideas for ways to debug this before I have to find an
alternative ISP?

Regards
Niall

Post by Clifford Kit » Wed, 22 Aug 2001 04:56:53

> As of last Thursday (16th August) I have been unable to connect
> to my ISP (*.net) using my linux box. I have contacted their
> support staff and although they had experienced problems on that
> evening (their RADIUS server fell over) things are back to 'normal'
> and there have been no configuration changes that would change the
> way I need to connect.
> For several months I have been using kppp to connect to my account
> and have had absolutely no problems. Now, kppp hangs after a few
> minutes. I have

You aren't alone.  See my answer in the thread on this group "wvdial
and *.net not getting together."  It should be applicable to kppp
as well as wvdial.  Not guaranteed correct.

--

/* In my book, the first poster to resort to personal abuse in a Usenet
   debate loses by default.  -  Rod Smith */

Recent problems connecting to virgin.net as ISP

Post by Niall Ingli » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:11:42

Thanks, Clifford. I downloaded the link to W.G Unruh's article in your
previous response and had it fixed PDQ.

Although they claimed that they had made no changes to the system and
that I should be able to authenticate as before, it would appear that
the * engineers have managed to change login auth to PAP auth on
their servers. Not only that, they have used a 'broken' installation
therefore if anyone else is having problems be sure to add
'defauly-asyncmap' to the /etc/ppp/options file as well as setting up
your pap-secrets.

> > As of last Thursday (16th August) I have been unable to connect
> > to my ISP (*.net) using my linux box. I have contacted their
> > support staff and although they had experienced problems on that
> > evening (their RADIUS server fell over) things are back to 'normal'
> > and there have been no configuration changes that would change the
> > way I need to connect.

> > For several months I have been using kppp to connect to my account
> > and have had absolutely no problems. Now, kppp hangs after a few
> > minutes. I have

> You aren't alone.  See my answer in the thread on this group "wvdial
> and *.net not getting together."  It should be applicable to kppp
> as well as wvdial.  Not guaranteed correct.

> --

> /* In my book, the first poster to resort to personal abuse in a Usenet
>    debate loses by default.  -  Rod Smith */

1. UK ISP (Virgin.net)

Hi All.

I'm thinking of switching ISP as the DNS is often unavailable on my
current one. The guys at work (all Windows) all use virgin.net for their
home ISP's and seem to love it. Does anyone know if it works with Linux
for dialup (or ADSL for that matter)?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

2. How monitor ppp performance?

3. Strange problem accessing Virgin.net servers

4. kppp under Solaris 7 (Sparc)

5. virgin.net

6. BASH Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ version 3.25)

7. PPP networking connection to virgin.net

8. Bootp newbie question???

9. wvdial and virgin.net not getting together

10. name server address for virgin.net or anyone in the uk

11. Connecting to internet (Virgin Net (UK)

12. Problem connecting Linux (RH6.0) to ISP (prodiy.net)

13. problem with connecting to Bellsouth.net ISP