dip and dynamic SLIP connection

Post by Clay Helbe » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: I have been trying to use dip to connect to my school's network. Unfortunately,
: only dynamic SLIP addresses are used. Does anyone use dip with such a
: connection or know of any info. I can find in order to help me write a
: successful script. Thanks in advance for the help.

: Jose J. Perez
: UMDNJ-Newark-Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
: Newark, NJ

This is not too hard to do--just put a line in your dip script which
takes your IP address from the startup message your SLIP server should
give when you connect, like so:

        get $local remote

This will read your local address from the text the remote computer just
sent (it automagically finds the IP address in the string).

There are some examples of this that should have come with dip. I forget
where they are located (/usr/doc?), but if you do a little snooping you
should be able to track them down (you could always try 'find / -name
sample.dip -print'). Good luck.

                                                --Clay
--

Schools of Medicine & Nursing     | http://maddog.fammed.wisc.edu/~helberg
University of Wisconsin-Madison   | Speaking only on my own behalf....

Post by Jose J. Per » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I have been trying to use dip to connect to my school's network. Unfortunately,
only dynamic SLIP addresses are used. Does anyone use dip with such a
connection or know of any info. I can find in order to help me write a
successful script. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jose J. Perez
UMDNJ-Newark-Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
Newark, NJ

1. dip script for slip/ppp connection with dynamic IP address

I'm having trouble writing a dip script and works for a dynamically
allocated IP address. The major thing giving me trouble is
intercepting the IP address and then figuring out what to do with
it. Could someone point me to relevant documentation for doing this?
Also, sample dip scripts that deal with dynamically allocated IP
addresses would also be helpful. Thanks much.

--
Chuck Irvine
Serior Member of Technical Staff

2. Need names/refs of free software

3. HELP with dip and dynamic SLIP connection

4. egcs 1.1 wont build

5. dynamic slip connection - my dip script

6. Adaptec 1522 problem?

7. Wanted:Dynamic SLIP server connection example for dip

8. eth1 & BOOT

9. How to setup SLIP using dip for dynamic IP

10. Dynamic Slip address with DIP

11. Need help with DIP in dynamic slip env.

12. Dynamic SLIP, dip error

13. DIP Script with Dynamic SLIP Server