ypbind

Post by David Richardso » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

During my bootup I get a: Setting NIS domain name nisdom [OK].

But, i cannot log in as any of the users from the NIS database.  If I
run ypbind as root, then everythign is fine.

Where is ypbind supposed to be started from, and why doesn't linuxconf
make it start?

ypbind

Post by rta.. » Mon, 31 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> During my bootup I get a: Setting NIS domain name nisdom [OK].

> But, i cannot log in as any of the users from the NIS database.  If I
> run ypbind as root, then everythign is fine.

> Where is ypbind supposed to be started from, and why doesn't linuxconf
> make it start?

-------
Ypbind needs to be running on the client "only" not the NIS server. You
can configure ypbind to start with Linuxconf ;off the top of my head I
think the option is called something like "Services Configuraton" But
the most common method is to start the service from the prompt.

Once you get ypbind started you need to create s symbolic link under
rc.3 so that it can start at boot.

Even with all of that, your NIS clients still will not be able to log in
remotely. The next step you have to perform is to export the /home
directory from the NIS server and then mount them on "all" the client
workstations. Once you mount them, open and edit the fstab file by
entering the /home directory mount settings so that the mounts will
automatically boot at start up. These things will allow NIS users to log
on to any workstation.

Rick

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. ypbind ypbind ypbind ypbind ypbind - HELP?

I posted a message earlier about this topic and finally got it to work, but
now there's another small but very annoying problem with it.

I have linux on a 486-50 with a 3com 3c503 with 16M ram.

First:  I have no problems with NIS now.

The problem is that after I start up ypbind and get it connected to the NIS
server, it continuously fills up the syslog with the following message:

   broadcast: RPC: Unable to receive ( Network unreachable )

After turning off the syslogd, I new get these all over my screen.  What's
strange is that everything works great - except this error message.  Another
thing I noticed is that when I do an 'ifconfig', the HW addr is all 0's.
I cant figure out why the network stuff is up and running yet the HW addr is
messed up and the ypbind daemon is acting up...

I did select the correct net driver and recompiled the kernel, which did not
help.  Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanx,

Al

2. Modem Help!!!

3. ypbind

4. XWindow 3.3.5 & Debian 2.1

5. ypbind is failing

6. Possible bug in 2.6 lpr

7. glibc, 2.1.x, and nfs/ypbind

8. Mandrake 7.1 vs Mandrake 7.2 ?

9. ypbind and "neighbour table overflow" error

10. ypbind:clnt_create for server xxx failed!!

11. ypbind problem

12. Redhat ypbind question

13. ypbind on alpha linux