How to get TCP/IP info to install RedHat Linux.

How to get TCP/IP info to install RedHat Linux.

Post by S Youn Le » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hello.

I try to install RedHat Linux with static IP address on my computer which
runs MS Windows 98.
It is connected to a LAN of my school ( I live in dorm. )
I got its IP address, but I need  NETMASK, DEFAULT GATEWAY, and PRIMARY
NAMESERVER.

My IP address is 164.107.85.224.

Please help me out.

S. Youn.

How to get TCP/IP info to install RedHat Linux.

Post by Bob Hau » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I try to install RedHat Linux with static IP address on my computer which
>runs MS Windows 98.
>I got its IP address, but I need  NETMASK, DEFAULT GATEWAY, and PRIMARY
>NAMESERVER.

Ask your network administrator or run "winipcfg" under Win98 to see how
it is set.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

1. pbg3/333 problems getting tcp/ip up and tcp-ing

i'm booting into the red hat installer using the bootx application and
the "linux final" and ramdisk.gz which i got from the ftp archives as
part of the linux-pre-R5 Q3 distribution. things are okay, i suppose,
since i boot in and get a prompt and can do stuff, but i have no success
so far configuring the tcp/ip info so i can do an ftp install.

neither dhcp nor static work, and, in fact, once i boot into linux, the
cable modem loses touch with my computer, as evidenced by the fact that
the "pc" light on the cable modem goes off. maybe this is something
particular to the cable modem hookup  (a motorola cable modem), but i
don't know for sure, since the conncetion is good (on static ip, not
dhcp) from macos 8.6.

i read some things in the facomatic about netconf and bmac.c patches,
but i don't know where to find them, and then, if i do, i don't know how
to get them onto my linux partitions, since i have had no luck in
mounting my macos (HFS standard) partitions from inside linux, which
would seem to be one way, in theory.

i'm a linux rookie right now, and i don't know c (which is why i want
linux in the first place, so i can learn), so don't assume i know much
about bmac.c other than the fact that it's some kind of c program, but
don't think i'm not trying on my own.

--
jon gold

2. tcpdump and sniffing for Linux - is there a better way?

3. linux, help me find tcp ip and such settings info

4. compiler has died in the a...

5. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP

6. Configuring Terminal Window outside of X

7. majordomo question..

8. SLS X wants tcp/ip, tcp/ip won't compile, what now?

9. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP