IPChains - What simple thing am I missing?

Post by Bill Unr » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Got PPPD working on my linux box by running:
>route add -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 128.0.0.0 dev ppp0

A default route through your loopback port?? What good does that do?
Your machine already knows it does not know the address.

Quote:>route add -net 128.0.0.0 netmask 128.0.0.0 dev ppp0

And a loopback through the loopback??

Quote:>in ip-up.
>(PPP wasn't working, and I was continually getting this message
>in /var/log/messages:
>not replacing existing default route to eth0.  If there is a better way

Yes, you had some default route set up. (try route -n when ppp is not
running. There will be a 0.0.0.0 first entry with an eth0 last entry.
Get rid of it. Redhat has this annoying habit of assuming that you want
a default route to eth0 is you have an ethernet card. While occasionally
true in a commercial environment, it is almost never true in a home
environment.
route del default
before you run pppd. (eg put it inot /etc/rc.d/rc.local at the end)
You probably do want a route to the 192.168.0.0 however on eth0

Quote:>to do it let me know please, as now /var/log/messages gets lots of errors like
>this:
>ns_forw sendto([128.63.2.53].53): Network is unreachable.)

It would be. you send the packet to a machine (your own) that you know
does not know how to get to any network.

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. networking problem!

3. **HELP : looking for linux router supporting ISDN card

4. I am missing something simple

5. Problems configuring Panasonic CD-ROM

6. Simple 10/100 router, What am i missing?

7. color shell prompt?

8. I am sick of this whole thing

9. Am I seeing things?

10. I am interested in Linux Admin, wanted to self learn, what are important things in Admin?

11. blocking tcp/ip things (ipchains)

12. Things that are missing in kde2