3c509b initiation question

3c509b initiation question

Post by andy » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00



I have a small problem with my 3c509b card. :

My connection is with a cable modem. I have everything configured
properly, but here is my problem:

When I first startup my system, it automatically initiates my card fine.
my network functions work fine for a couple of minutes, and then
everything stops working. I still have DNS working, but I receive the
error message : network unreachable

So, I can fix the problem, by accesing Xwindows and running netcfg, and
disable/enable my eth0 card.
Then everything works great. I can stay connected for hours and there is
no other problems.

So, my question is: does anyone know of a non xwindows command that I
can use that will perform the same function? This way, I can setup a
script that will automatically perform the function above.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Any idea what could be causing this problem?

Thanks,

Andy

 
 
 

3c509b initiation question

Post by Noah Meyerhan » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00



> When I first startup my system, it automatically initiates my card fine.
> my network functions work fine for a couple of minutes, and then
> everything stops working. I still have DNS working, but I receive the
> error message : network unreachable

Check your routing tables with the 'route' command when the system first
starts up (when the network initially works), then again when the
network stops working, and again when you fix the problem manually.
What are the differences?

Quote:> So, I can fix the problem, by accesing Xwindows and running netcfg,
> and disable/enable my eth0 card.
> Then everything works great. I can stay connected for hours and there
> is no other problems.

> So, my question is: does anyone know of a non xwindows command that I
> can use that will perform the same function? This way, I can setup a
> script that will automatically perform the function above.

# ifconfig eth0 down
# ifconfig eth0 up

Those will bring down the interface and bring it back up.  I have no
idea why this would be necessary.  It would probably be better to figure
out where the initial problem is coming from, so you can prevent it from
happening, instead of trying to work around it like this.

Noah

--

  PGP Public Key available at
  http://lynx.neu.edu/home/httpd/n/nmeyerha/mail.html or by `finger -l


 
 
 

3c509b initiation question

Post by David F » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00


Check for IRQ conflicts.  Use the utilities on the disk supplied by 3com
to reconfigure the card.



> > When I first startup my system, it automatically initiates my card fine.
> > my network functions work fine for a couple of minutes, and then
> > everything stops working. I still have DNS working, but I receive the
> > error message : network unreachable

> Check your routing tables with the 'route' command when the system first
> starts up (when the network initially works), then again when the
> network stops working, and again when you fix the problem manually.
> What are the differences?

> > So, I can fix the problem, by accesing Xwindows and running netcfg,
> > and disable/enable my eth0 card.
> > Then everything works great. I can stay connected for hours and there
> > is no other problems.

> > So, my question is: does anyone know of a non xwindows command that I
> > can use that will perform the same function? This way, I can setup a
> > script that will automatically perform the function above.

> # ifconfig eth0 down
> # ifconfig eth0 up

> Those will bring down the interface and bring it back up.  I have no
> idea why this would be necessary.  It would probably be better to figure
> out where the initial problem is coming from, so you can prevent it from
> happening, instead of trying to work around it like this.

> Noah

> --

>   PGP Public Key available at
>   http://lynx.neu.edu/home/httpd/n/nmeyerha/mail.html or by `finger -l


--
David Fox          http://www.cat.nyu.edu/fox            xoF divaD

 
 
 

3c509b initiation question

Post by David & Kathy Anders » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00




>Check for IRQ conflicts.  Use the utilities on the disk supplied by 3com
>to reconfigure the card.



>> > When I first startup my system, it automatically initiates my card fine.
>> > my network functions work fine for a couple of minutes, and then
>> > everything stops working. I still have DNS working, but I receive the
>> > error message : network unreachable

>> Check your routing tables with the 'route' command when the system first
>> starts up (when the network initially works), then again when the
>> network stops working, and again when you fix the problem manually.
>> What are the differences?

>> > So, I can fix the problem, by accesing Xwindows and running netcfg,
>> > and disable/enable my eth0 card.
>> > Then everything works great. I can stay connected for hours and there
>> > is no other problems.

>> > So, my question is: does anyone know of a non xwindows command that I
>> > can use that will perform the same function? This way, I can setup a
>> > script that will automatically perform the function above.

>> # ifconfig eth0 down
>> # ifconfig eth0 up

>> Those will bring down the interface and bring it back up.  I have no
>> idea why this would be necessary.  It would probably be better to figure
>> out where the initial problem is coming from, so you can prevent it from
>> happening, instead of trying to work around it like this.

>> Noah

>> --

>>   PGP Public Key available at
>>   http://lynx.neu.edu/home/httpd/n/nmeyerha/mail.html or by `finger -l

>--
>David Fox          http://www.cat.nyu.edu/fox                xoF divaD


The problen is you are running gated
look in /var/log/messages
you will find in it an error with gated
gatged is for running two or more sub nets
disable it

remove the REMOVE

For all you automated email spammers, here's the
addresses of the board of the FCC:






 
 
 

1. 3Com 3c509B vs 3c509B-TP

I was wondering what the difference was between the 2 network cards (3COM
3c509B & 3c509B-TP).  Is there, or is one a subset of the other?

Also have people been successful using 3c509B-TP under Linux??  I plan to
install one of these cards on a 386 and another on a 486.  Any advice,
suggestions, and comments would be helpful and appreciated.

Please email replies.

Thank you,
Armando

********************************************************************

* University of Delaware  *   WWW: http://udel.edu/~acaro          *
********************************************************************

2. Missing source tree after RedHat 5.0 install

3. Problem with CD-rom initiation

4. New Redhat kernel?

5. 2.5.1 slow TCP connection initiation

6. Need help - Newbie-est of the Newbie's

7. automatic dial-up initiation

8. Red hat 2.1 + CD-Rom problems

9. simultaneous initiation of TCP connection in Solaris and Linux?

10. simultaneous initiation of TCP connection in Solaris?

11. HAYES ACCURA 288B (internal) initiation problem!!

12. Slow telnet initiation from WARP to LINUX

13. Delaying eth1 initiation ?? (setup issue??)