Setting up a /dev/ttyS4 for eth0

Post by J.Flechtne » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Greetings group:

    Im running RH6.0 which came with a preset of ttyS0,1,2,3. A
powersurge smoke the UART chip on my 'COM4' so I'm now trying to setup
my NIC on COM5 (ttys4) and have been unsuccesful. Each time I use
setserial to set the ttyS4 to UART 16550A it never stays, I reboot and
it comes up as "UART: Unknown". The type,major,minor and permissions
will hold, just not the UART. I'm also getting a "Flags: Fourpoint"
which does not appear on the other 3 ttyS files. 1) How can I get the
UART to stay permanent? 2) How can I get rid of the "Flags: Fourpoint?
Thanks for any advice

Josh Flechtner

--
http://www.bright.net/~jafgon

Setting up a /dev/ttyS4 for eth0

Post by Greg Leblan » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> --------------29A949FF74E42F70AEC86613

> Greetings group:

>     Im running RH6.0 which came with a preset of ttyS0,1,2,3. A
> powersurge smoke the UART chip on my 'COM4' so I'm now trying to setup
> my NIC on COM5 (ttys4) and have been unsuccesful. Each time I use
> setserial to set the ttyS4 to UART 16550A it never stays, I reboot and
> it comes up as "UART: Unknown". The type,major,minor and permissions
> will hold, just not the UART. I'm also getting a "Flags: Fourpoint"
> which does not appear on the other 3 ttyS files. 1) How can I get the
> UART to stay permanent? 2) How can I get rid of the "Flags: Fourpoint?
> Thanks for any advice

First, lose the HTML messaging, it's just a mess.

The ttyS[0-3] are for Serial interfaces.  Eth0 is an Ethernet
interface.  Having a serial port fried shouldn't make any difference to
your ethernet card.  Can you provide some details on WHY you're trying
to do this?
        Greg

--
It's pronounced "*" not "scuzzy"!

Before you buy.

--
http://www.veryComputer.com/~jafgon

Greg,

    Not sure what you mean by the HTML messaging but have had complaints
before regarding that. Could you explain?
    I'm under the impression that the ttyS* under /dev are the UNIX
equivalent to COM ports, i.e. COM1=ttyS0, COM2=ttyS1, etc,etc,etc......
What I'm trying to do is set-up my NIC card on an ISA slot so I can get
this box on my local network. As is I have a videocard on 'COM1' a
soundcard on 'COM2' modem on 'COM3' and 'COM4' is has the fried UART chip.
So I'm trying to setup the NIC on 'COM5' which I assumed is ttyS4. I have a
softlink from eth0 under /dev pointing to ttyS4 but on LILO the eth0
interface fails. Is this enough info to go on?

Josh Flechtner

Post by John » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>     I'm under the impression that the ttyS* under /dev are the UNIX
> equivalent to COM ports, i.e. COM1=ttyS0, COM2=ttyS1, etc,etc,etc......

Yes.

Quote:> What I'm trying to do is set-up my NIC card on an ISA slot so I can get
> this box on my local network. As is I have a videocard on 'COM1' a
> soundcard on 'COM2' modem on 'COM3' and 'COM4' is has the fried UART
> chip.

No.  It sounds like you're confusing interrupts and com ports.  Com
ports have one thing that go on them - serial interfaces.  Period.
Com1=ttyS0, which usually uses IRQ 4.  Com2=ttyS1, which usually uses
IRQ 3.

Interrupts are hardware-level signals that get called when a component
needs attention from the cpu.  Typically, IRQ0 is for the system timer,
IRQ1 is for the keyboard, IRQ2 is for the PIC chip, IRQ3 is for COM2,
IRQ4 is for COM1, IRQ6 is for the floppy-drive controller, IRQ7 is for
the printer port, IRQ8 is for the real-time-clock, IRQ9 is for the
cascade controller, IRQ12 is for the PS/2 mouse port, IRQ13 is for the
math co-processor, IRQ14 is for the primary IDE controller and IRQ15 is
for the secondary controller.  Realistically, this leaves you 5, 10 and
11 to work with.  If I remember correctly, ISA cards cannot access IRQ's
above 9.

Your ethernet card needs an interrupt as well.  This is automatically
taken care of if your card is PCI, otherwise you need to set it to one
of the free interrupts on the card (if it has jumpers), or set it up
using the linux Plug'N'Swear utility, isapnp.

Quote:> So I'm trying to setup the NIC on 'COM5' which I assumed is ttyS4. I have
> a softlink from eth0 under /dev pointing to ttyS4 but on LILO the eth0
> interface fails. Is this enough info to go on?

Unfortunately, yes.

Setting up a /dev/ttyS4 for eth0

Post by M. Buchenried » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>    I'm under the impression that the ttyS* under /dev are the UNIX
>equivalent to COM ports, i.e. COM1=ttyS0, COM2=ttyS1, etc,etc,etc......

Right.

Quote:>What I'm trying to do is set-up my NIC card on an ISA slot so I can get
>this box on my local network. As is I have a videocard on 'COM1' a
>soundcard on 'COM2' modem on 'COM3' and 'COM4' is has the fried UART chip.

Well, that's bad, but it doesn't affect your NIC, which isn't a serial
port at all.

Quote:>So I'm trying to setup the NIC on 'COM5' which I assumed is ttyS4.

Rubbish. You're mixing up serial ports and ethernet ports here.
Your NIC is /dev/eth0 , and doesn't have anything to do with your
serial ports.

Quote:>I have a
>softlink from eth0 under /dev pointing to ttyS4

??? This is absolute nonsense. Delete the link, tell us what kind
of NIC you do have, and what settings you gave it during setup.

Quote:>but on LILO the eth0
>interface fails. Is this enough info to go on?

No. Please show us the output of "dmesg", "ifconfig" and "route -n" .

Michael

Post by Al Ardueng » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> snip
> >So I'm trying to setup the NIC on 'COM5' which I assumed is ttyS4.

> Rubbish. You're mixing up serial ports and ethernet ports here.
> Your NIC is /dev/eth0 , and doesn't have anything to do with your
> serial ports.

Actually, as I understand it the devices in /dev have nothing to do with
nics either. For instance I have no /dev/eth* at all. Does your
statement imply that isa nics do? I am curious since my nic is pci.

Thanks
-Al

> >I have a
> >softlink from eth0 under /dev pointing to ttyS4

> ??? This is absolute nonsense. Delete the link, tell us what kind
> of NIC you do have, and what settings you gave it during setup.

> >but on LILO the eth0
> >interface fails. Is this enough info to go on?

> No. Please show us the output of "dmesg", "ifconfig" and "route -n" .

> Michael
> --

>           Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) & Official Netscum
>     Note: If you want me to send you email, don't munge your address.

Setting up a /dev/ttyS4 for eth0

Post by M. Buchenried » Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>Actually, as I understand it the devices in /dev have nothing to do with
>nics either.

[...]

That's basically correct, in the way that there's no /dev/eth0 file. Sorry
for the confusion. Beginning with the 1.2.x kernels (IIRC), these
entries are obsolete, since the kernel itself generates the interface
whenever a NIC is found and correctly initialized (as far as the HW is
concerned).

Michael

Post by J.Flechtne » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> [...]

> >Actually, as I understand it the devices in /dev have nothing to do with
> >nics either.

> [...]

> That's basically correct, in the way that there's no /dev/eth0 file. Sorry
> for the confusion. Beginning with the 1.2.x kernels (IIRC), these
> entries are obsolete, since the kernel itself generates the interface
> whenever a NIC is found and correctly initialized (as far as the HW is
> concerned).

> Michael

> --

>           Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) & Official Netscum
>     Note: If you want me to send you email, don't munge your address.

Josh Flechtner wrote (while trudging through the reply's trying to make sense
of it all):

    Ok, well I don't know if anybody is still reading these but I'm beginning
to see the problem with what I was doing in regards to setting up my NIC on
COM5. I still need to create a /dev/ttyS4, when I do though I still cannot
get the UART number to hold. I'm trying to use mknod and MAKEDEV and neither
of them will hold the UART 16550A (see original message posting for more
indepth problem concerning ttyS4 creation problems). Any idea why the
UART number disappears after a reboot?

Josh Flechtner

1. Setting up /dev/ttyS4

Greetings:

    Im running Linux-Mandrake 6.0 (2.2.9 kernel) with a 486DX4. My dev
directory show only ttyS0,1,2 and 3. The UART in ttyS3 somehow got hosed
so that port is dead. What I want to do is install a NIC on ttyS4. I get
as far as doing a mknod to create the new device ttyS4 but where do I go
from there? Do I recompile the kernel, set up eth0 under linuxconf, add
something under /proc, all, none......what's next? Can someone point me
in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Josh Flechtner

2. Problem with thin vertical lines under X

3. Fifth Serial Port - dev/ttyS4

4. Problem with virtual-hosting under linux

5. setting up a ttyS4 - problems

7. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

8. Linux BBS and FTP list #19

9. What is the difference between /dev/sg0, /dev/scd0 /dev/hdd and /dev/cdrom ?

10. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

11. Energizer ER-HMOF600 UPS USB interface - no /dev entry

12. Files in /dev - Permission settings set to non-world writable

13. /dev/eth0