Linux as a file server

Post by Steve Gran » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am fairly new to Linux and I would eventually like to replace our Novell
file servers with Linux in a small office environment.
Is there a Windows 9x client available for this purpose?  Something like
the Novell Client would be wonderful, or is it more complicated than a
simple client to access files on a Linux server from a windows network?
If you know of any freely available, I would like to get the URL so I
could give them a try at home.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Steve

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Linux as a file server

Post by Ken Willia » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>I am fairly new to Linux and I would eventually like to replace our Novell
>file servers with Linux in a small office environment.
>Is there a Windows 9x client available for this purpose?  Something like
>the Novell Client would be wonderful, or is it more complicated than a
>simple client to access files on a Linux server from a windows network?
>If you know of any freely available, I would like to get the URL so I
>could give them a try at home.

You need to use samba on the server side and Microsoft client for Microsoft
Networks which is included in all Windows 95/98/NT's to allow the
workstations to log in.  Your probably using the client for ms networks now to
share files between the workstations.

Linux as a file server

Post by Vilmos Sot » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I am fairly new to Linux and I would eventually like to replace our Novell
> file servers with Linux in a small office environment.
> Is there a Windows 9x client available for this purpose?  Something like
> the Novell Client would be wonderful, or is it more complicated than a
> simple client to access files on a Linux server from a windows network?
> If you know of any freely available, I would like to get the URL so I
> could give them a try at home.

Hi,

http://www.samba.org is what you are looking for.

--
Looking for a job in British Columbia.
Have you recompiled your kernel today?

Linux as a file server

Post by Donald E. Stidwel » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I am fairly new to Linux and I would eventually like to replace our Novell
> file servers with Linux in a small office environment.
> Is there a Windows 9x client available for this purpose?  Something like
> the Novell Client would be wonderful, or is it more complicated than a
> simple client to access files on a Linux server from a windows network?
> If you know of any freely available, I would like to get the URL so I
> could give them a try at home.

> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks

> Steve

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com

There's a little tonkle called MARS-NWE that comes with RedHat/Mandrake that
allows you to use your Linux box as a Netware server as well. Caldera also
sells a NetWare Client/Server that runs on Linux.

Don

Linux as a file server

Post by William B. Cattel » Sun, 15 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I am fairly new to Linux and I would eventually like to replace our Novell
> file servers with Linux in a small office environment.
> Is there a Windows 9x client available for this purpose?  Something like
> the Novell Client would be wonderful, or is it more complicated than a
> simple client to access files on a Linux server from a windows network?
> If you know of any freely available, I would like to get the URL so I
> could give them a try at home.

> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks

> Steve

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com

Right off the bat I'd say you'd be spinning your wheels
quite a bit.  NetWare is good for basic file and print
sharing.  Linux can do it but you'd have a ton of stuff to
do to get there.  IMHO a switch like that would have a bad
ROI.  If you needed to put a web server online, a database
server, etc. then Linux would definately give you a good
ROI.  FWIW.

Bill
(14 yrs w/NetWare, 5 yrs w/Linux)
http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy
Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.

Linux as a file server

Post by Carl Fi » Sun, 15 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I am fairly new to Linux and I would eventually like to replace our Novell
>file servers with Linux in a small office environment.
>Is there a Windows 9x client available for this purpose?  Something like
>the Novell Client would be wonderful, or is it more complicated than a
>simple client to access files on a Linux server from a windows network?

Two people (as I write this) have suggested Samba, which is a valid
suggestion, but if you're already set up for Netware, it's possible
to have Linux emulate a Netware file server, so you wouldn't even
need to change client software.

I have not done this, but a good starting point would be the IPX
HOWTO, visible at the Linux Documentation Project, which is mirrored
at many places including <http://www.viemeister.com/LDP/>.

You will have to compile a custom Linux kernel for this, in all
likelihood.  Luckily that's very easy.
--

Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
<http://dm.net>

Linux as a file server

Post by mike murra » Mon, 16 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> > I am fairly new to Linux and I would eventually like to replace our Novell
> > file servers with Linux in a small office environment.
> > Is there a Windows 9x client available for this purpose?  Something like
> > the Novell Client would be wonderful, or is it more complicated than a
> > simple client to access files on a Linux server from a windows network?
> > If you know of any freely available, I would like to get the URL so I
> > could give them a try at home.

> > Any help would be appreciated.
> > Thanks

> > Steve

> >                     http://www.searchlinux.com

> Right off the bat I'd say you'd be spinning your wheels
> quite a bit.  NetWare is good for basic file and print
> sharing.  Linux can do it but you'd have a ton of stuff to
> do to get there.  IMHO a switch like that would have a bad
> ROI.  If you needed to put a web server online, a database
> server, etc. then Linux would definately give you a good
> ROI.  FWIW.

> Bill
> (14 yrs w/NetWare, 5 yrs w/Linux)
> --
> http://members.home.com/wcattell
> Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
> may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy
> Harley
> with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.

If you are running a non 2000 compliant Novell version (like I was), then the
investment in
Linux 6.0 Server running Samba is very small indeed compared to upgrading the
Novell.

I switched our Novell 3.12 for Redhat 6.0 server running Samba & was surprised
by the speed
increases..

Works great for our small office. Win 95 Win98 clients using tcp/ip & windows
client & windows
file & print sharing.

Wedo have the ocassional file get corrupted using a dos program. I haven't
figured out
the problem with the file locking thing yet.

1. Is Linux client-server or file-server... or both?

Simple quesiton by example:

Five machines, all Linux boxes, connected via Ethernet. All machines have
the usual Linux stuff.... KDE, Gnome, Tuxracer... etc. One machine (master)
has Sun Office. Can the other machines on the net run Sun? If so, does
Linux partition and time-slice the other users of Sun.... or does each user
end up downloading Sun Officewrier over the net to her own box and execute
locally?

Maggie

2. ALSA + mmap or OSS emulation + mmap producing stutering sound

3. How to set-up Linux test web server and file server

4. SB LIVE setup trouble

5. Advice on Linux and internal web server and file server

6. Newsgroup for make.

7. How to set-up Linux test web server and file server

8. Help: patches to install

9. Using your web server as a file server/version control server?

10. Linux workstation to Linux Server file access???

11. FTP to local Linux 7 server failed while Linux server is connecting to the Internet

12. WTS: Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 and Suse Linux Enterprise Server 9

13. migrate users from one linux server to new linux server