2 network cards to make lan faster

Post by K4c » Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:35:52

HI.

I wish to plug 2 or more network cards to my computer (linux 2.4.27) and
   i want connect half of the lan to 1 card and rest to 2-nd card, to
make the network work faster(linux is a file server). I don`t have idea
how to do this, and where start. Please help me, example would be the
best ;)

best regards
Kadzbi

2 network cards to make lan faster

Post by Davide Bianch » Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:43:39

Quote:> i want connect half of the lan to 1 card and rest to 2-nd card, to
> make the network work faster

huuuu... I don't see how this should make the network faster.
I think that the speed of the network is already way greater than the
speed of your hard disk/controller, so increasing the speed at which
the data travel in the network doesn't really speed up anything. If so,
you could start planning to install a Gigabit network.
I'd start checking how much the fileserver is used, how much memory
and so on.

Quote:> I don`t have idea how to do this

...this was clear...

Davide

--
The hearing ear is always found close to the speaking tongue, a custom
whereof the memory of man runneth not howsomever to the contrary,

Post by Jerry McBrid » Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:20:20

> HI.

> I wish to plug 2 or more network cards to my computer (linux 2.4.27) and
>    i want connect half of the lan to 1 card and rest to 2-nd card, to
> make the network work faster(linux is a file server). I don`t have idea
> how to do this, and where start. Please help me, example would be the
> best ;)

> best regards
> Kadzbi

Track down the network how to and start there. Finish up with iptables and
you are in...

                     Registered Linux User Number 185956
              FSF Associate Member number 2340 since 05/20/2004
    Buy an Xbox for $149.00, run linux on it and Microsoft loses $150.00!
     9:18pm  up 13 days, 21:31,  6 users,  load average: 1.78, 2.16, 2.12