How to set mail and web server with static IP?

How to set mail and web server with static IP?

Post by Ed Tro » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I currently have a small network running Redhat 6.0 Linux and Windows
2000 on various machines. My internet connection is currently through a
100 MHZ Pentium running RH 6.0 and Samba using a dial up modem with my
ISP assigning dynamic IP's every time I connect. My P100 gets that
dynamic IP, and my private network uses 192.168.0.1 for that machine and
192.168.0.2 etc for the other machines.

Now, I will soon be getting a permanent connection that has a static IP.
(I can get additional IP's, for a fee, but, hopefully I won't need them.
The question, now, is this. Once I have this static IP, always on
connection, I want to fire my isp and bring the webpage and mail server
"in-house". What do I need to do so that mail and web page requests go
to my domain, which I own? (aeroconsult.com) Is it just a matter of
contacting Internic and telling them that now I am hosting the web page
and mail, and this is the IP address? Or is it more complicated?

TIA,
Ed

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>I currently have a small network running Redhat 6.0 Linux and Windows
>2000 on various machines. My internet connection is currently through a
>100 MHZ Pentium running RH 6.0 and Samba using a dial up modem with my
>ISP assigning dynamic IP's every time I connect. My P100 gets that
>dynamic IP, and my private network uses 192.168.0.1 for that machine and
>192.168.0.2 etc for the other machines.

>Now, I will soon be getting a permanent connection that has a static IP.
>(I can get additional IP's, for a fee, but, hopefully I won't need them.
>The question, now, is this. Once I have this static IP, always on
>connection, I want to fire my isp and bring the webpage and mail server
>"in-house". What do I need to do so that mail and web page requests go
>to my domain, which I own? (aeroconsult.com) Is it just a matter of
>contacting Internic and telling them that now I am hosting the web page
>and mail, and this is the IP address? Or is it more complicated?

You need 2 nameservers that point your domain name to your IP address.  If
the ISP that gave you the IP won't do it there are 3rd party DNS services
that will even work for dynamic IP's.  You can have one nameserver on your
box, but are also supposed to have another one for backup.

Once you get the nameservers lined up, you go to
http://www.networksolutions.com/ (if you bought the domain through
internic) and can change your info there.  They will send you e-mail that
you need to return to confirm the change.  Make sure you still have the
e-mail address you registered your domain with until after you change your
domain info or it may be more difficult.

--

http://www.de-srv.com/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/
http://thunder.prohosting.com/~cv-elgin/

How to set mail and web server with static IP?

Post by Marc Aparici » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> You need 2 nameservers that point your domain name to your IP address.  If
> the ISP that gave you the IP won't do it there are 3rd party DNS services
> that will even work for dynamic IP's.  You can have one nameserver on your
> box, but are also supposed to have another one for backup.

so with a unique real IP, a primary name server and a secondary name server,
you can do that....isn't it??

--
Don't forget to visit http://www.multimania.com/mapcorp/girls

1. setting up a web server with a static IP and a Linux box

I just finished building a 586 133mhz 1.6 gig Linux box.
I really want to learn how to use Linux, but I am having some problems.
How do you setup a linux box so it can run as a Web server via a static
IP??

I know this requires a long answer, so if you dont want to write it down, I
would appriciate it if you could
send me some DOCs or point me where I can find HOW to do this.

Any help is appreciated. Please reply via email. I dont use newsgroups that
often. sorry.

Thank you for your time.
Joshua Shriver

2. simple shell script for moron

3. Two Web Servers on one Static IP?

4. Acid sound software

5. mail server behind router port forwarding 25 domain static ip postfix lonux

6. Safe removal of lock files

7. How DHCP Client can auto set a static IP, when connect to DHCP Server fail ?

8. Redhat 4.0 mingetty

9. Setting up DNS for web when client has their own mail server

10. To set up POP mail, and web server

11. Question : on setting up mail and web server

12. Setting up Mandrake as Web/FTP/Mail Server Help

13. How to share one IP address with two servers (application server and web server)?